on 14 September 2009
I bought this for my boy who is 5. He was very excited about it and still plays with it weeks on from purchase but not as often as you would think. It looks impressive and for role play is good. The things it can do are really really really basic. Mind you, despite the lameness of the effects he seems to like it better than the ds game!
As an adult who likes Ben 10 I think it looks cool but the functions could have been better. The battle mode (the most 'interesting' one) has you having to turn the dial to find the correct hero in time. If you find the right hero in time you win the 'battle' if not you lose........... yeah great! Another mode helpfully keeps your score and another one allows you to 'turn' to the hero you want to be - however for a child who is into Ben 10 it is an essential bit of kit and this, with the outfit, transforms the average kid into Ben 10. Whether it is worth the money is debateable but are any of these toys worth the money!? I think on the role play front he will get more enjoyment and use out of it than alot of other toys so on that level it is probably worth it!
on 10 April 2009
This is a must if your child likes Ben 10. My son had this as a 4th birthday present over a month ago and is still playing with it, and even takes it to bed with him! The only drawback is that the item is fairly bulky and heavy for a small child, and has to be strapped on fairly tightly to keep it from slipping round his wrist; after about 15 to 20 minutes he takes it off to give his arm a rest! This doesn't bother him at all. The item must be very durable as neither him or his younger brother have managed to break it yet. I'm glad I bought this model of Ben 10 watch as, from what I've seen in the shops since, is the best.
on 2 November 2008
My 4 year old son borrowed a Omnitrix FX from a friend for a couple of weeks and played with it non-stop, had so much imaginative play with it that when I saw this one reduced to £12 I knew it would be well worth the money.
The deluxe one does seem to be much better quality than the F/x. It has a thick fabric strap that fastens with velcro so fairly easy to put on and take off. It is a big hunk of plastic but my son loves that about it. It has a black and white screen and various modes in which too play. this is where problems arose a little for my little boy who has not yet learnt to read. He cannot play in battle mode as this consists of a little animation of Ben running for a while and then at random times the watch makes a noise to alert you a villain has approached. Text then runs along under a picture of the villain instructing you which Alien you must turn the omnitrix too in order to win. It then times you while you turn the dial thro the aliens, choose the correct one and hit the watch. It then shows a little fight - not amazing graphics but the kids don't care - and tell you whether you have won or lost.

Normal mode is a lot simpler - you turn the dial, select which alien you want to be and hit the watch, much like Ben10 himself. It makes all the right noises and then shows a few images of your chosen alien.

There is also status mode which shows how many battle you have won and lost and options which you can turn the sound off.

When we first got this, my little boy kept having to bring it too me has he had wandered into various modes and couldn't get to where he wanted to be. I think for younger fans the FX is probably sufficient although the plastic strap is nowhere near as nice or comfortable looking and I think considering it doesn't actually do anything other than make noises and flash light it ought to be substantially less expensive than the deluxe.

Now my son has had this a week or so he seems to have worked out how to navigate around it without being able to read what it says, and taking the closeness in price into account, I would have to recommend the deluxe Omnitrix over the Omnitrix F/X.
22 Comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2010
We got this for my son with some money he was given, on his request. He is now just four but we have had it a little while. It has been dropped and chucked about so many times but has not broken yet. He absolutely loves it. At first he only played with it normal mode, chosing which alien he is turning into and giving it a thwack. That was closely followed by rushing around in a very excited manner shouting at me which alien name I had to call him now!

We played the battle mode together at first. As someone else has said, this mode relies on the child reading what alien he needs to change into. So I would tell him what to change into and then he would do it. But actually he has now got the hang of it - I think he actually has played it so many times he recognises the written name of each alien! That's one way to learn to read!

The watch is very easy to put on and the strap is very sturdy. My son needed a bit of help putting it on to begin with because the watch itself is so heavy, but he can do it himself now.

It is a great toy and I would definitely recommend it.
on 16 June 2008
Fantastic. Has kept my 5 year old playing with it for a week. Don't be fooled by the other alien viewer that one is rubbish.
on 5 January 2009
I bought this for Christmas for my nearly 6 year old and he LOVES it!!

The battle mode took a bit of explaining, but now he plays it all the time and it's helping him slightly with his reading too.

A typical boy, my son seems to break almost everything, but this has lasted great so far... even when my 18mth old decided to have a go!!

I did a bit of research before buying this and would defiantly recommend this one over the others. For a few pounds more you are getting a far better product.
on 17 May 2009
My six year old thinks this toy is brilliant and has spent alot of time playing with it. Basic aliens are on the omnitrix initially and then the kids can 'earn' extra aliens through various challenges. Think there's four modes of play and he quickly fathomed it out without help. Younger children will struggle though as his four year old brother got one for his birthday and whilst he uses it for great imaginative play he finds it hard to use the different modes without help as there's text to read on the screen. Great for 6+ or more mature younger kids.
on 8 September 2009
my 6yr old son really loved his omnitrix, he played with it persistently for days until his wrist became so swollen and painful that it needed a bandage. He was punching the buttons really hard. Since then he has lost interest in it.
I would also say that to enjoy it properly you do need to be able to read, which can make it a bit tiresome if your child can't read. Having said that, it does help with word recognition: though they are words like; Wildmutt, Stinkfly, Ripjaws.
on 29 April 2009
My son loves this watch, as would any ben 10 fan. It seems to have lasted and he has started to realise he can get more figures. The only problem was he had it on when he played in sand and it stopped the dial turning - luckily it was easy enough to strip down and clean, but still feels a little different to other ones!
on 13 August 2008
Super toy. It was sold out in denmark, but it only took 4 days(!!!) from ordering the Omnitrix, till it was in the mail.
Thank you. My son is totally exited.!!!