on 20 December 2011
I enjoyed the first album, it was something new, something different, tongue in cheek, a bit of fun. On this second album the joke is starting to wear a bit thin, the lyrics have become more crude and far less subtle, it's just more of the same only less funny, it's tedious and lacking in humour and if it's lacking in humour it starts to get offensive. The people involved in this group need to ditch the wigs and move on to a new project.Just stick with the first album.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 November 2011
So here it is, the much awaiting "difficult second album" from Steel Panther. Are they worried? Not from the sound of this they're not.

The Panther are back with another rip-roaring, hardcore and definitely un-PC collection of metal masterpieces to take those of us old enough to remember back to the glorious excesses of 1980s heavy metal. So first, the burning question? Is this CD as good as "Feel The Steel"? IMHO the answer is a definite "No", but that's not to say it's a bad record.

The songs musically are all outstanding, with the whole band rocking as hard as any "serious" band, especially Satchel who really is an unbelievably good guitar player, throwing out killer riffs and lightning solos like confetti at a wedding. Michael Starr's vocals are also outstanding and the quality of the production and mix are really excellent. Everything is clear and chrisp and this sounds like a truely great rock album should.

So where does it fall short for me? I loved the first album as each song was an obvious homage to a particular band; Whitesnake, Van Halen, Iron Maiden etc... but this album sounds, on the whole, like Steel Panther. The sound and feel of most songs are pretty similar (but that's not necessarily a bad thing). Lyrically, the songs aren't as funny either as there are only so many ways to say knob, bitch and bum sex before it starts to get a bit repetitive.

All that being said, you can't help but love a record that has song titles like "It Won't Suck Itself" (which features Chad Kroegar of Nickleback on guest vocals and a blistering guitar solo from Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme/Rhianna fame). Tiger Woods gets a song in his honour and is namechecked elsewhere on the CD, along with easy targets Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears and Keifer Sutherland. For me though, the best song on the CD is Gold Digging Whore, if only for the spelling section of the song which is actually comedy genius (well, it made me laugh anyway). Other highlights are the single, "If You Really Really Love Me", "Tomorrow Night" and "Why Can't You Trust Me".

I was really enjoying the CD up loud on my car autochanger, especially when a song started that sounded like a great homage to Megadeth, that was until I realised about 2 minutes into the song that my changer had actually switched to the new Megadeth CD Th1rte3n, that I also bought today. Maybe that's the ultimate tribute to Steel Panther; that you can't see the join where the Panther end and the "serious" metal bands begin. :-)

Steel Panther are opening for Motley Crue (one of my all time favorite metal bands) and Def Leppard on tour in the UK soon and I've already got my tickets. A lot of the crowd will probably not be there early enough to catch Steel Panthers set, which is a shame as they are likely to be the hardest rocking, most "balls out" entertaining band on the bill.
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2011
So what feels like ages panther drop it, balls out that is. While I drank a few beers with my mates, on first listen I was like, woah okay, this doesn't seem as good as the last album. However I played it through several times the next day, and all week in the car before they played in Camden, and the songs just seem to get better and better. The first stand out track is "17 girls in a row", which is just down right heavy and sleazy. The riff is fantastic and catchy. "Tomorrow night" is another great song, with a similar feel, heavy sounding with brilliant lyrics. Don't be surprised if your singing this the night before you go out to a house party or gig.
"If you really really love me" is much more pop rock, good song though. Another brilliant song is "gold digging w****e, a real sing a long rock song. Heavy, funny lyrics, catchy.

"Critter" had been known for sometime even prior to the album. another great one, dirty lyrics though...even for panthers standards lol

Then this is where continued listening of the album reveals more delights.

"Just like tiger woods" is funny, lyrics are quite smart. However its the riffs, solos, drum beats that bring this song from being just silly to an actual real good rock song. Sleazy little riffs make it sound like something from a lethal weapon film.

"I like drugs" and "let me cum in" are great songs, once again, silly lyrics but brilliantly executed. Ohhhh yeah! Ohhh yeah!

"Why cant you trust me" will take several listens till you catch everything that is said, and once you do, it will have you laughing for hours, a particular funny lyric is "dont make me go Chris Brown and punch you in the neck and we all knew it was you who blew Justin Beiber at the petting zoo"

Speaking of songs which take several listens, "weanie ride" it starts of like home sweet home/ you don't know what you got till its gone, but the lyrics are far from similar, very funny and maybe the cleverest song on the album...if the word clever can even be used on a panther album lol

"That's what girls are for" and "it wont suck itself" are good songs, catchy, not my favourites though, my least is "supersonic sex machine", while a good song, the chorus is just too stupid. Which is a shame as all the rest is pretty good. A song which sounded better when i heard it live, not sure why.

A GREAT second album which gets better the more you listen to it. What's next for the band? well who knows, all I know is there going to continue selling out arenas for years to come. They're opening for Motley crue and Def leppard in a months time
on 30 January 2012
I really love their first album Feel The Steel. The music is great - it rocks! - and the lyrics are hilarious ... I still cannot get enough of it! Because of the high standard they had set with the first album this one is disappointing. It just does not deliver on the same level. There are one or two great songs but overall I found it musically rather standard - the singing and the melodies - and the lyrics are nowhere near as good either. Such a shame :( Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next album.
on 16 December 2017
This item was supposed to be new. Not happy with this at all. Case is cracked and the sleeve is old and worn.
review image
on 14 May 2012
What can I say that others already haven't? If you are not a fan of obscenities and frequent allusions (if you can really call them that) to sex then you really should avoid Steel Panther like the plague.

But, if you're a fan of thumping rock anthems, dirty riffs, machine gun speed solos and importantly, a nostalgic take on the 80's heyday of Glam Metal, then this my friend, is definitely the album for you.
Sure, it's not the most original or best album ever (I agree with others who prefer the debut album, but still love this little gem) but it certainly is a lost of fun, with ample air guitar time, and tonnes of soaring choruses

The album opens up with the delightfully absurd intro track "The Future" before storming into the blistering "Supersonic Sex Machine" (Which has more than a passing similarity to Judas Priest's "Painkiller) then continuing to the hilarious "Just Like Tiger Woods". Sure, there is some filler, the last 2 tracks come to mind immediately, they are both very forgettable and really do seem like B-sides.

Still, when the vast majority of the album is as good as I described it really is hard to dislike, at their lowest point Steel Panther are still a great deal better than the bands they are parodying (In my opinion anyway). Indeed, you can see these guys have a great deal of love for the genre of music they are producing, and that is just fantastic to hear.
on 3 April 2012
I don't think "Balls Out" is as good as the first album (Feel The Steel), but it was always going to be a huge ask to equal, or better it with more funny songs, rocking tunes, killer riffs and shredding solos.

I wasn't that keen on the new album upon the first listen. Perhaps once you've heard one album of songs about girls, sex, drugs, rock and all the things that make Steel Panther, it becomes a bit repetitive. There were a couple of stand-out tracks (Supersonic Sex Machine, 17 Girls In A Row, It Won't Suck Itself) but I wasn't hooked straight away. However, after a few more decent listens to it (nice and loud), coupled with seeing them at one of the best concerts I've ever been to at Brixton Academy (31.03.12), I'm now loving it!!

I didn't give it 5 stars simply because I still don't think it tops "Feel The Steel", but with rocking tracks like the one's mentioned above, plus It Won't Suck Itself, Tomorrow Night, Gold Digging Whore, I Like Drugs and Let Me Cum In, it's now a current favourite in the CD player in the car. A good way to start any morning on the drive to work!

As every fan of Steel Panther knows, the songs and parodies are one thing, but the musicianship is what really makes them so freakin' good to rock out to....and this album continues to deliver just that! If you get the chance, go see them live too. You won't be disappointed.
on 31 October 2011
I have been unashamedly waiting for this for what seems like forever....and its finally here.
Is it any good?.......Oh yeah, you bet,and a superb follow up to Feel The Steel
It shreds, it wails, it screams, it squeals, but most importantly, it rocks.....HARD.
Influences from across the whole 80s metal spectrum are here for all to see. Crue, Poison, Whitesnake, Warrant, Skid Row, Jovi, Dokken, the list is endless, and every listen throws up more.
Killer tracks just crash by, one after another, and first track proper, 'Supersonic Sex Machine' is a barn stormer and really gets things off on the right foot, it could almost pass for a straight ahead rock song, however, tongue becomes firmly implanted into cheek from here on in. 'Just like Tiger Woods' and '17 girls in a row' are typically hilarious Panther tracks, 'If you really really love me' absolutely floored me, ridiculously funny, as is 'It wont suck itself'.
Its not just a joke-athon though, sure, the subject matter is not entirely pc, they look like they've just arrived from 1984 in a time machine, but these guys are not taking the mick, they are paying homage to a time gone by, a time that shaped them musically, a time that they dont want to forget. The songs are strong, the playing is fantastic, and in Michael Starr,they have a truly superb frontman, with the pipes to back up the hype.
If you are easily offended then click away right now, you wont approve. However, if you are up for a party, if you fancy a trip down the sunset strip, then drop this in your basket right now.
It ain't big, it ain't clever, and its all the better for it.

Only one thing left to say......GET IT......just keep it away from the kids.
on 2 November 2011
...and Tiger Woods. Like a previous reviewer, I've been waiting for a follow-up to 'Feel The Steel' for too long. 'Balls Out' does NOT disappoint. Quite the opposite. It's even BETTER than it's predecessor. It's been a long time since I've said this and actually meant it sincerely, but there IS NOT a weak track amongst the 14 songs on the album. I've just spent the last hour rocking out to the polished grooves while at the same time sniggering like a schoolboy to the lyrics. Not sure this can be called 'parody' because it's entirely in a class of its own. Highlights for me? The whole thing. 'Supersonic Sex Machine' kicks like a heavy metal mule in spandex and snakeskin. 'Just Like Tiger Woods' might be the best hard rock song I've ever heard in my life. It's certainly the funniest. Careful if you happen to be drinking coffee and listening to 'Tomorrow Night' while you're commuting to work. I accidentally snorted half the cup when I heard the last line of the first chorus. The people on the carriage thought I was having some kinda fit or something. Whatever, it was worth it. Heavy metal's BACK!! Buy this.
on 28 November 2011
I think this album is great!! As woman I find it very funny indeed. "Thats what girls are for sewing cooking being good looking" I find all of the songs very good and found Tiger woods very funny and loved the music. I listen to it in the car AFTER dropping my son off at school! I like tommorow night as well. They are all good I loved the first album feel the steel it was great we needed something to come alive again with guitar solos and 80's sound. And as for the lyrics they are great. Not sure about a 3rd album? As there only so many times you can rhyme the words on all of the songs??? Hope they do another and prove me wrong..... so far 10/10!