Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Edition - Sgt. Pepper Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Feb 2010, 19:17:49 GMT
Bookworm says:
I just received my box set of the first season of "True Blood", and I gotta say the picture quality is pretty bad. Has anyone else noticed that?

I just got a new LCD tv recently, and I use it in combination with a dvd player with upscaling --- with all the other dvds I've watched in the past few weeks the picture quality was amazingly brilliant. That's why I'm so surprised at the grainy picture I'm getting with "True Blood" ... now I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I maybe got a faulty dvd set.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010, 13:11:40 BST
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2010, 16:04:34 BST
R. Field says:
American TV is NTSC, which has a lower resolution and colour quality than PAL. I got boxed sets of the Masters of Horror series from American TV and the picture quality of that is pretty poor. You notice it a hell of a lot more when you upscale the image and it does not compare to the average movie release DVD.

Sorry about that, I guess you should tell the Americans to improve their TV image quality standards.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010, 12:18:11 BST
Bookworm says:
Actually, I just bought the American RC1 version of the first season of "True Blood", and the picture is much better than on the UK box set (with which I just wasn't happy)!!!

Another problem with the UK version is that not just is the picture grainy, but movements tend to be very blurred. This is also not a problem with the US version!!!

So if you have a codefree dvd player then I can only recommend for you to buy the US version instead of the UK box set!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2010, 16:32:22 BST
R. Field says:
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll be getting the US release, (although I still maintain that NTSC picture quality is still not up to the standards of PAL.)

Posted on 20 Aug 2012, 19:23:55 BST
LoBo says:
It's supposed to have film grain. It was after all shot on 35mm. No digital production. If you didn't see any grain in this series, you should have been worried that they used Digital Noise Redecution to erase the film grain along with fine details.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  27 Feb 2010
Latest post:  20 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about