Back In Black
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 October 2016
Bought this for my husband who had lost his original copy. Its great, and he recommended that I listened to it on the way to an interview to reduce my pre-interview nerves - bizarrely it worked. So I did the same to the 2nd interview, went in pretty calm having just turned it off in the car, and I got the job! You cant concentrate on anything when listening to this classic acdc cd - you zone out. He loves it and now I have pre-interview listening if I ever need it again.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 February 2012
The first thing that jumped out at me when listening to this follow-up to Highway to Hell was the change of vocals. It wasn't a massive change, and Brian Johnson is very suited to the role, but coming after the 5 (or 6) albums prior to this, it was very noticeable. Despite that, the album itself is another predictable but consistently excellent AC/DC release. This took longer than their other albums to really enjoy, as there are a lot of tongue-in-cheek party songs to digest and these are not my favourite usually, but there are very few average tracks here.

Opener 'Hell's Bells' shows a more thoughtful (possibly) band. The riff is akin to a more MOR hard rock tune and the song itself is not the usual rip-roarer that heralds a new AC/DC set. But it is an apt beginning to see the Bon Scott era off and the Brian JOhnson era open for business. 'Shoot to Thrill' is a run of the mill hard rocker that they do so well, and usually in their sleep(!), and it takes a while to truly bed but when it does it sounds miles better than it does on first listen (if that makes any sense at all!). 'What do you do for Money, Honey' is similar insomuch as it sounds pretty awful at first and then the infectious chorus gets you and you have to succumb to its base charms. The same can be said of 'Giving the Dog a Bone' which is a dreadfully misogynistic car crash of a song but is so eminently AC/DC that it really doesn't matter. They follow suit with 'Can I put My Love Into You', a song that is narratively and embarassingly transparent but undeniably catchy. So far so sleazy, yet diabolically tempting.

After years of not knowing what AC/DC track was home to one of the most oft-used riffs (or leads or solos - I never know what this particular one is as it's a bit more involved than a normal riff) that I had heard again and again on tv and on jingles and anything that warranted a cool entrance, I now know that it is 'Back in Black'. What a classic. It embodies all that is AC/DC and gave the world an inimitable sound to cherish. One of the all-time favourite tracks ever. 'You Shook Me All Night' is another party track but is soooooo catchy is has to be bad for you. Another classic. The next 2 tracks are the filler material in my mind. They are still ok songs but lack the punch of the previous bunch. Closer, 'Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution' is another grower and, like 'Night Prowler' from Highway... is another slower-paced and dirgey way to end the album. But it, as with a few others on this record, is a classic.

Not completely perfect but definitely on a par with Highway to Hell and Let There Be Rock. There's enough crunchy riffs inside for all....
on 17 January 2018
I never bought tis when it first came out and time and opportunity had simply passed me by. This time round I made the effort and it is well worth it. You either took to Brian Johnson or you didn't and initially I fell into the latter category. Time however not only heals but brings you round and he has since done a fine job - AC/DC at their best!!
on 22 May 2017
Got to be one of the best albums of all time (for me) sounds great on vinyl would recommend this to everyone arrived perfect
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2015
There aren't any words needed for this album. For 1 it's AC/DC and for 2 it's back in black. One of their greatest albums.

The best band in the world and anything they create is beyond awesome. All you need to do is listen to their music and no matter what genre of music you like. No matter how much you hate "rock" listen enjoy and don't be ashamed. AC/DC are the greatest rock band on the planet.

Enjoyed this album? Your next purchase should be live at the river plate on dvd. What an experience!
on 7 June 2013
My knowledge of AC/DC tracks was essentially limited to the Iron Man sound track, which I've enjoyed.
Recently I heard "You shook me all night long" on the radio, so I looked up the album behind it and saw numerous reviews saying it's a rock classic and should be in your collection.

I can't disagree, it's a fabulous album if you like a great bit of rock and roll. Pretty much every track hits the spot and it's perfect listening music when you're in the gym to get you motivated!

This should be in your collection.
on 19 August 2017
Fast delivery, Good quality and as described. Would buy again.
on 6 September 2014
I had Highway To Hell which is highly regarded as an iconic album. I also this album on cassette many years ago, so I decided to buy it on CD. Wow...the sound improvement is unbelievable over the cassette version I had.
I am not disappointed at all! A truly superb album! If you haven't got any AC/DC in your collection give either album a try, you won't regret it.
on 4 September 2017
Brilliant album.
on 24 January 2011
This is pretty good, but not as good as their earlier stuff with bon scott. Gone are the group choruses and the infectious anthems. Brian Johnson certainly had some big shoes to fill, and i guess he did a decent job. Highlights include the first 3 songs, along with let me put my love into you, you shook me all night long, and of course back in black. However, a few of the songs are a bit dull such as shake a leg, givin the dog, and rock'n'roll... Unfortunately there is too much filler here for it to be called a "masterpiece album"