on 26 March 2015
I decided to read this book after I heard an interview with Paul on national radio recently. It was indeed a memorable and honest, but rather daunting read, not really about soccer but about growing up tough, stardom and dealing with alcohol. I do not follow soccer and have no interest in this particular sport so on occasions I glanced over paragraphs which to me were slightly meaningless in the sense of match fixtures etc, however it is an outstanding story that is well worth sharing with others just because it shows how caring friendships can be and what lengths friends will go to for you, how alcoholism can be overcome if the passion is there and how thankful I have been in growing up in a world where none of this landed on my doorstep to wreck people's relationships and lives.
on 16 August 2016
GOD is what the Villa fans call him and I'm a Villa fan who watched him play during most of what is recorded here. Any football fan will love this though but don't let the football element put you off if not interested - it's an emotional read about a tormented character.
on 20 November 2017
Wow! Was a big fan of Paul’s while growing up, but like everyone, I had no idea what turmoil he was going through in his private life. An amazing read, very enlightening.
on 5 February 2018
You have to admire Paul's honesty.Even when things are going well,the alcoholic has a way of pressing the self destruct button that, to
anybody but an alcoholic, defies logic. The spiritual awakening that is necessary for a complete psychic change will unfortunately only come with admittance of defeat. Ironic aly Paul is a born winner . I wish him happy and contented sobriety. God bless Paul !!
on 1 May 2015
A brilliant autobiography of a top player. It is not your bog-standard list of mildly amusing football anecdotes but more a painful, touching account of a deeply troubled man who comes across with humility and modesty. It is not a light, fun read but is addictive nonetheless. Here's hoping Paul stays healthy and happy as long as possible.
on 2 July 2014
I found this a very powerful read. Having been a football fan all my life (West Ham) and seen Paul play several times , I was aware of Paul's drink problems but reading this book highlighted the magnitude of his mental health issues which I found truly shocking. This honest account of his early life and the issues he had to deal with, being left as an infant with nuns then returned back and forth from his mother to the orphanage help explain the reasons for his behaviour. At the conclusion of this book I found myself feeling very sorry for this man who is obviously fighting his demons on a daily basis. Most fans would love the life of a footballer but I don't think there are many who would want to change with Paul's life. A somewhat depressing but very interesting read.
on 14 November 2009
Recommended. nlike a lot of autobiographies, Paul's does not fail to go back to his roots and painful ones at that and the book is much richer as a consequence. A la Fergie n that regard.
However I can't quite go the full 5 stars on the basis that some of the key times, relationships and footballing moments don't show. And I think perhaps some counter-opinion to the best footballer line etc etc would be welcome for balance.
Nevertheless a cracking read and I wish PM the very best in whatever he does in the future.
RC
on 30 September 2014
Such an honest open account of how he has dealt with a daily addiction battle. Paul the footballer was exceptional but I had no idea the demon Paul was fighting outside of the gold fish bowl. A real warts and all book which at times helps you understand why Paul had such a fractured personal life, with a very tough early up bringing.
on 27 July 2014
Having only grown up only knowing "of" a Paul McGrath, I was intrigued by the title hinting at tragedy and/or redemption. Little did I realise what a journey this book would be.

This book is utterly engaging from start to finish, from his time in care as a child to his beginnings as a footy legend began to take shape and then the chaos as his problems took him to places where few make it out the other side.

Easily one of the best autobiographies ever in my opinion.

I can only hope and wish Paul McGrath good luck & good health.
on 29 April 2017
Not just one of the best ever football autobiographies but sporting ones. You don't need much football or sporting knowledge to learn, appreciate, admire, understand & recognise, Paul's very personal achievements & continuing battles he has experienced. Recommended for any sports enthusiast who may not be aware of the name PAUL McGRATH.