on 20 March 2009
I bought this nightlight to use with my second child 6 years ago and loved it so much I've just replaced the bulb in order to use it with my third child due in a few weeks. So simple to use: touch sensitive dimmer and on/off switch (because let's face it when you're tired from looking after a newborn you don't need anything gadgety and over complex!)Auto fade function which gradually (and barely noticeably!) fades to off over 15 mins - something I used with my baby as she got older to help her fall asleep on her own. This product fills a need and it is definitely one of those 'must haves' for every nursery. N.B.Although the bulbs do last a while, it comes with only one replacement bulb. After some searching I found that Maplin's sell one that fits; a 25w E14 tube bulb by Orbitec.
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2008
We have used this light every night since our daughter was born eight months ago. It has been great because it can be dimmed very low but just light enough to see into the room to check on her. It is also useful if she does occasionally need feeding or changing as I dont need to brighten the room any further to do this, so getting her back to sleep is a lot easier. It has been left on sometimes for over 15 hours and it is still cool to touch. We even took it on holiday with us as she seems to drift off to sleep so well with it! There is a function to automatically turn it off after 15 mins but I prefer to leave it until she has been alseep for much longer before I do this.
on 29 April 2009
I have bought 2 of these lamps for my children's bed rooms. They work really well, dimming over 15 minuets and allowing my eldest to "read" (she isn't 2 yet) before she goes to sleep.
In the babies bedroom I have enough light to feed her then put her to bed with out being in pitch back or keeping her awake with the light.
Unfortunately the lamp looks pretty cheap and flimsy and the cable that comes with it is very short. The children do not have bedside tables as they are in cots and the cable length does not allow the lamp to be put on anything higher so I now need to purchase some extension cables.
In the mean time one of the lamps is on a window sill and has been knocked of frequently, the cheep looking manufacture has stood up to this very well (although the bulb has not).
on 16 November 2015
This is my second. The first has worked since 2010 and still does so I got another as a night light for under the bunk bed for my son, but this recent purchase has stopped working after a couple of months. It is a great product, perfect for breastfeeding, as you can dim the lamp or brighten it as you need, or use it a s night light and it has a button you can press to enable it to dim, then go out after a few minutes, so the kids aren't sleeping all night in light (its better for your brain to sleep in darkness!) - but this one, as I said, has stopped working. Disappointed.
on 4 May 2016
I had this lamp for my son who was born in early 2010 - his light was used every night since birth and is still going strong now 6.5 years later, I love it. So much so I brought a second one when my second son was born in early 2015, however this one started flickering at around 8 months and now at 14 months is completely unuseable, I have no idea why it just flickers and won't actually turn on or stay on. Very very disappointing. I don't know what they have changed but it isn't very good any more and it wasn't a cheap light so feel annoyed it has broken so soon. Wouldn't recommend based on the many other reviews with the same problem.
on 24 January 2016
I bought one of these 7 years ago for my first son's birth and then a second one when we were back travelling in the UK and needed a night light. The first one is still going strong after all these years. The second I'd dearly love to turn up at my inlaws as it's so brilliant and I'm finally about to split up my two children in to separate rooms and they could do with a night light/reading light each. If not, I would happily buy one of these again as they just last! I've had to replace the bulb once which was tiresome as I couldn't find it here in Dubai so I had to order in the UK (oven bulb apparently) but it's not happened since.
Granted the buttons are a little over sensitive but I still can't fault the dimming ability and the fact that it can be used for both reading or as a very subtle light for young children who may want the comfort of light in the room or older folk who just need to be able to see what they're doing / feeding light etc. Really brilliant and contrary to what others have said, reliable and robust.
on 12 June 2012
If struggling with your first baby wasn't tough enough, I literally consider the purchase of this product as one of the worst recent purchasing decisions someone could make since buying Facebook shares. For starters, the quality of the plastics would put a yoghurt pot to shame. Secondly, and this is pretty fundamental to a light, the switches just don't work right. They are by far too sensitive. Witness the chaplin-esque comedy moments as you try to comfort a screaming a child whilst doing the simplest of tasks - the turning on of a light. Currently our lightl likes to turn on, and immediately turn off. Usually takes about 5 goes before it stays on, then when you want turn it off... Yep, you guessed it - it turns off and then back on again! Comedy gold! Although, I must admit that the joke is starting to wear a little thin, and my language around the child because of the light will probably mean that he will have a vocabulary to put a sailor to shame by the time he gets to nursery... Just do yourself a favor and buy something - anything- else. Even those Facebook shares...
on 11 May 2016
These are brilliant. We bought a second for another bedroom as it so useful. Easy to use. Soft lighting. Bright enough to read by comfortably without being harsh, easy to use dimmer and 15 minute gradually dim to off function. Owned for about 5 years now. Clever design, both myself and husband very happy with this lamp. Highly recommend.
on 11 February 2016
This has really helped my son get happier with the dark at night. He has recently turned 4 and has developed a bit of anxiety about the dark insisting on having a torch in bed. This light solved the problem by giving him control to turn it on when he needs to and has learnt to touch the top button after having turned it on so that it will fade off after 15 minutes.

The only slight criticisms I have is that if you use the fade off option when you go to turn it on again you have to hold your finger on the bottom button to fade it back up again. It would be nice for it to remember the light setting it was on when you pressed the sleep option so that when you turn it on again it goes back to that. The other thing is the type of bulb can get hot so make sure to keep the back vent area free. I may well replace it with a LED equivalent bulb.

In summary though it does just what it should and has no sharp bits or anything that would not be a major issue for a toddler. There were some review querying reliability however you can not knock that it comes with 2 years guarantee and I am sure if you use it as instructed you would have no problems.
on 23 May 2014
This will be my 2nd lamp.
I bought the original one when my daughter was born 2 years ago & bought this for 2nd nursery as another baby due few weeks.
The lamp is great.
I turn it on to full brightness (bottom button) & use this light to get my daughter ready for bed, story etc. Then tap top button once after tucking her in. This means the lamp will fade gradually. I really think its helped her being such a great little sleeper.
It also means during the night if you have to change nappy or whatever you can press the bottom button & hold it & this starts the light up gradually. You then just release your finger once its up to desired brightness. Once you're done, pop baby back into bed & press top button to fade down to dark again.
Also I'd like to add, we have this on a low table & numerous times my daughter has grabbed it & dropped/thrown it & it keeps on working.
We've had it 2 years & replaced bulb twice.