Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2003
Obviously based on personal experience, Fiona Gibson manages to make motherhood both hysterical and touching. Her unique style is compelling, and her incredible insight to what makes a new mum tick is so realistic it made me laugh (and cringe) in recognition. Her characters were like a breath of fresh air - there was none of that gooey nonsense that's fed to women about maternal adoration from first sight. Gibson tells it like it really is! An incredible first novel full of wit, intelligence and good old-fashioned entertainment.
on 19 November 2003
Fiona Gibson perfectly captures in Babyface what new motherhood feels like when you've blundered into it by chance and have never before held anyone younger than yourself. Journalist Nina is in at the deep end both with her partner, who she's met through a lonely hearts ad, and their swiftly-conceived and very photogenic baby Ben, whose infant modelling career threatens to eclipse her own. I was going to say that this book perfectly captures the isolation of new motherhood, but that makes it sound very earnest, when it's actually a feel-good read, warm, witty and beautifully written.
A fabulous first novel.
on 5 November 2003
This is Fiona's first book, but it has a polish and assurance that suggests otherwise. It is witty, apposite and moving.
She has perfectly captured the dichotomies of women in their early 30's, thrust into motherhood, not in this case altogether willingly, whilst craving their old, sane life. Did I say how very funny it is? It will appeal to all mothers, those who would be mothers and even those who have chosen not to be. Men will enjoy it too.
I can't wait for her next novel to appear.
on 24 November 2015
Loved her other books but this was awful-felt like a rush job with no planning and Fiona completely lost her way half way through writing. Abruptly ended and felt like I had wasted my time reading. Really disappointing read, don't waste your time.
on 20 July 2005
This book deals with the frustrations of every new mum trying to fit into her new role. Trying to do it all (including trying to fit into your 'before' life, not to mention 'before' clothes!) and to have it all (or at least keep it all afloat), and not going 'round the bend in the meantime.

This is an entertaining read, but you won't feel too bad when you have to put it down for a bit - which makes it an excellent read for mothers... as well as commuters!
Certainly not a waste of time, but this is not one of those books that will stay with you once it's over.
An excellent book which details 'trash mag' Nina's faltering first steps into motherhood, which are marred by her ill-suited partner and her bizarre best friend. I found this book very true to life and it's peppered with wit and wicked one-liners. On the strength of this and Gibson's other brilliant book 'The Fish Finger Years' I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her books to other mothers - great stuff!
on 15 April 2013
I'm a mother of a 20 and 9 year old, babies cry and endless changing of nappies whatever stage they and you at! Very honest and upbeat story, Didn't have the conclusion I'd thought, but then this story is left, in my opinion for a perfect chance for another book to be written and a chance for me to hide away reading for another school holiday!
on 23 July 2004
I never really read fiction, but I read this, and I finished it too (major for me). I thought it was very good. I normally read Fiona's bit in the Sunday Herald and I'm left wondering how much of this is actually fiction and if any of it is true, but I like the way it's written. Gold star!
on 12 July 2004
The first half of this book is great fun; capturing new parent bewilderment and some very funny moments. However, I think that the plot then runs out of steam and we are left with a jumble of random episodes and a bunch of additional characters, whom we may have found interesting if we had only been given the chance to get to know them.
on 15 May 2011
The blurb on my paperback copy said that this book was warm, compelling and hilarious. Sadly I found it to be none of these.