Customer reviews

Babies: The Mumsnet Guide: A Million Mums' Trade Secrets
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2013
Buy this if you don't want to be told what to do, or be patronised as a first time mum. It provides you with a wide variety of opinions and gives enough information to enable you to make an informed choice. It covers everything and also has a lot of humorous anecdotes!
Slight downside is that I sometimes found it hard to find something if I needed the information quickly, but still well worth it.
on 7 April 2013
As a first timer, this provided me with a useful starting point for what to expect. My only criticism is that it still doesn't quite give you in the true picture of how hard the early days can be and the issues with feeding which seem all to common. However, still a great book, funny yet informative.
on 24 November 2012
I was not sure whether to buy this as some reviews said it hadn't been formatted for kindle properly, but apart from the odd blank page it's fine and doesn't detract from the book.
Content is good and has lots of different points of view over many subjects.
on 28 March 2012
bought this book for my pregnant daughter.she swears by it now. Everything you need to know and get you through your pregnancy. Its also amusingly funny. Great price and value for money.
on 2 September 2014
Arrived quickly, and as described.
on 5 March 2010
I'm pregnant with my second and bought this as a refresher. It covers a wide range of topics (including a lot of things that you can't read about on anywhere else) and offers multiple suggestions for dealing with problems rather than pushing you down any one route as a parent. It is very reassuring to read about the experiences of other mothers and realise that you are not alone. It's also very humorous and I'm sure will be a great help when I'm next up in the middle of the night, desperate for some light relief. The website is a fantastic support but it's great to have so much advice in one place that you can dip into easily when you need to. Highly recommended for any new parents.
7 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2013
We bought this for our daughter on the birth of her first baby at age 39. All went well and the book has come in very useful.
on 4 January 2011
I have been a fan of mumsnet since 2008 when pregnant with my first child. I found the 'talk' sections on the site to be very entertaining, very useful, very reassuring and very accessible for advice of all kinds, so when I saw that they had a book out summarising all the advice mumsnetters had given over the years, I jumped at the chance to buy it for myself. I am now pregnant with my second child and have not had much (any!) time to re-read the baby books, so I bought 'Babies' to read as a refresher and 'Toddlers' to read for tips on dealing with my toddler! Very pleased with both purchases - as with the website; great tips, balanced views and nice summary section after each chapter. I like that original quotes from various mumsnetters have been put in and very much like that the book is written from a mum's/parent's perspective and not that of an 'expert', so you don't feel as if you're parenting skills are being judged. Highly entertaining (laugh-out-loud risk if reading on the train/in public!) and not too long/overwhelming as many baby books can be. All in all, would definitely recommend both/either book(s).
2 people found this helpful
on 3 December 2011
I first read this book when i was around 20 weeks pregnant and found it amusing at the time. I read it again (3 times!) after the birth of my son and found it hilarious! The book is well written and provides a balanced view to lots of 'baby issues'. It includes posts from real parents and gives a light-hearted overview of life with a new baby. I like that it gives both sides to each argument, and doesn't ever make the reader feel there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way to do things. I now buy this book for all my pregnant friends - i think it's great!
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2010
Forget your Gina Fords/Dr Spocks/Miriam Stoppards because this book is really the only one you need (that is if you need or want a book at all). It's based upon the vast wisdom of hundreds of real parents (mostly mothers but a few Dads too) from Mumsnet. I am a sometimes Mumsnetter (not that often as there is too much else going on) but can testify to good advice, support and humour when it's needed. All this and more has gone into this book and that is what makes it a more human face to parenting a baby than the other "experts" out there. Brilliant. I read it from cover to cover and found it readable and humerous - far more so than some of the books which were around when my 7 year old was tiny. Well worth it.
6 people found this helpful