on 30 March 2014
I got this set for my grandparents who were plagued by sales calls daily. My grandmother suffers from dementia, whilst my grandfather is blind, so I was very cautious about forcing change on them. However after some initial learning problems, two weeks later my grandparents report the sales calls have stopped, and they are delighted with the phones.

My complaint about these phones is although they've been designed for old people, they are still far too complicated and can do far too much. In the end I had to configure the phone simply to block all payphone, foreign and withheld numbers, and that after nine rings pass them through to the a recorded message that tells them to go away. When blocking a call the display flashes up that it is blocking a call, but does not enable the backlight and it does not ring.

My grandmother was frankly terrified at the idea of the answerphone - the base unit just has too many buttons without any intelligible order. The phone book is also quite complicated to operate, and the way numbers scrolled was disconcerting for my grandmother. Fortunately the phone has a nine number speed dial facility too - press and hold 1 to 9, and it'll dial a number without any further button presses.

To assist the crossover to the new phones, I left the existing phones plugged in and just turned off their ringers, however so far my grandparents haven't yet had to use them as they've managed with the new phones.
11 Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2013
It has performed as a wanted, I am partially deaf
and I can have conversations without having to
increase the volume.
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2013
I have always used BT phones, but the cells showing the persons name and telephone
number on my answerphone were dying of old age, which was an excuse for a new one.
I read all the literature on the BT phones, and thought that the BT 4500
was the one. I love the size of it, the buttons are big, and is really nice to handle and very easy to programme.
I give it 10/10.
0Comment| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2016
Just a great size. Feels very stable

Need to amend my review. Phone brilliant until this month (13 months old!) when the handset volume became so poor that even using full volume and amplify a clear decent phone conversation is impossible. Have had to order a new phone! And will not risk buying BT again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 July 2014
My elderly mother was having real problems with nuisance callers - and with rapidly decreasing mobility it was sad to see her fight her way to the (tethered) phone and, if she made it in time, to be greeted by either a dead phone or someone offering her recompense for PPI that she had never bought. The crunch came when I answered the phone on a visit and was greeted by someone that told me that my computer at this address had developed a security fault and he would fix it for me - after I explained that the number was owned was a 90 years old who wouldn't recognised a computer if it hit her over the head, he became obscenely abusive.It appears that registering with the Telephone Preference Service has little effect on these calls as they are made from outside of the UK.

BT advice was to buy the 4500. They could have sold it direct to me (but the price was higher than Amazon!). I took their advice and bought a two phone system, placing the main phone where the corded had been and the other by my mother's favourite seat in the back of the house (so she wouldn't have to walk).

Set up was as simple as it could be - a walk through menu - and I took the option of blocking all overseas numbers and numbers with-held. Easy. If you want a really secure setup, then key in the family numbers that you have as favourites and then accept calls from only those numbers. When someone rings from a blocked number the call will be answered by the answering machine automatically and the phone won't even ring - my mother can then call back anyone who cares to leave a message if she wishes, or just ignore them. Does the job and does it well it seems.

One important thing to remember with these - and all other cordless phones - is that they don't work if the mains power is cut off for any reason. Make sure that you have at least one other corded phone that doesn't require external power (i.e., is connected just by the phone plug) connected for use in such an emergency.
99 Comments| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2016
I have had these phones a few years and feel I can write a review now. They have been dropped many times by children with no damage to case or innards. There are too many functions to mention, if you choose to use them they are easy to use. I can see perfectly well but I do love the big, clear buttons also the system is very stylish.
on 11 March 2015
Excellent nuisance call blocker. Big buttons, easy to read screen, integrated ansaphone. I'm well pleased with this purchase and would recommend it for anyone who is being bombarded with nuisance calls. Plenty of options to choose which calls to block. Lots of other features.
on 7 February 2015
Unsure about these. They seem fine now but one of the handsets went silent when I answered it once and it wouldn't give me any sound until I turned it off and on again. Maybe a one off thing. I've kept the box just in case. They are great phones though - especially for someone elderly
on 19 December 2014
No handbook but was able to setup quite easily.
You can set unit with various settings and I found it easy to do so.
The phones have large buttons and the screen is of a reasonable size.
Power and line connection cables are of a good length.
on 27 November 2016
Brought these for my farther who is extremely hard of hearing. He loves them especially the hands free.