on 16 April 2014
In common with fellow dyslexics I share a passion with books and have an extensive library that is either unread or only partly read.
In fact, as do many, I have only ever read two books completely; Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
Now there are three!
2 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2014
Excellent read. A good story with great detail. I have read a lot of Norse books and this is one of the best. Looking forward to the next book.
One person found this helpful
on 8 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book. The characters draw you in and you find yourself concerned for them. The plot pulls you along as it becomes a real page turner.
One person found this helpful
on 8 October 2016
I love this book and have read all three and am looking forward to the fourth. It's such a fascinating read, a real rollercoaster of emotions and each rise, dip and turn is written in such a heart breakingly beautiful way. I love the intimate conversations between her characters (sex scenes are really something as well) and you can feel the power in her words that I have seldom found in other authors. Their is a certain magic in these books. I highly recommend you read them all.
on 22 September 2014
I have always been a big fan of historical novels since reading Flashman a long long time ago. Blade Honer, Hammer of Greatness, first in the trilogy, does not disappoint. Set in the time of the Viking Rus, it is the tale of the Thordis, natural blade honor and last in the line of the Thunder Priestesses.
Maria Kvilhaug (author of the Seed of Yggdrasill) skilfully weaves her knowledge of Old Norse custom with an exciting page turner. At times my blood was roaring, probably why I found myself outside in the recent thunderstorm arms upraised, calling to Thor (and yes, he answered).
So what is a blade honer? "If the edge of a man's soul needs some honing, then the honing will come, by Death or by Challenge."
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.