- Paperback: 504 pages
- Publisher: John Benjamins Publishing Company; 3 edition (19 Mar. 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 902723261X
- ISBN-13: 978-9027232618
- Product Dimensions: 2.5 x 14 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 350,753 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English: Your guide to collocations and grammar. Third edition revised by Robert Ilson Paperback – 19 Mar 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
A perfect complement to dictionaries (the user must already know the meaning of the words they want to look up in BBI dictionary), it provides information on HOW TO USE the words correctly (right preposition, sentence structure, collocations, etc).
Many examples are included in the entries for extra clarity. Abbreviations indicate the language register (formal, colloquial, etc)or that a word is used differently in British English (=BE) and American English (AE).
Here are three examples :
"rendition" n. 1. to give a ~ 2. a letter-perfect (AE), word-perfect (BE)~
"norm" n. 1. ["standard"] 1. to establish, set a ~ 2. to deviate from the ~ ["average"] 3. above; below the ~
"cruel" adj. 1. ~ to, towards (~ to animals) 2. . ~ to + inf. (it was cruel of him to say that)
An excellent reference book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
it is a very useful book
very good purchase
I'm using it very often
I thing that everyone should look it up
Useful for teachers and translators. The only complaint - could be more comprehensive, but still the best available in the market in my opinion.Published on 9 Dec. 2013 by Alicja Jodko-Haupa