- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
BBC Active Talk Portuguese (Book & CD) Paperback – CD-ROM, 8 Feb 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Containing 10 lessons altogether, each lesson consists of key phrases and exercises, covering a certain topic (e.g. in a bar, asking for directions etc.) Each lesson is followed by a general revision exercise and a quiz. There are also three Checkpoints in which all of the past lessons are revised. Useful information about the country itself and its people is given throughout the topics. The course is designed extremely well.
The language itself is in my opinion divine and sadly highly underestimated. Although it is similar to Spanish and various other Latin languages, it has its own bases and origins. Portuguese is truly a wonderful language to have.
If you are interested in learning Portuguese, then this is surely the course to start off with.
The actual Portugues is fine, and it's all upbeat and jolly in attitude. But firstly I don't think they repeat the phrases anywhere near enough, nor slowly enough. Coupled with the constant references to Page this and Exercise that, it quickly becomes difficult to follow what it is you're meant to be doing when playing the CD in isolation - in the car, for example.
And the music jingle at every opportunity will have you reaching for the off button too.
I will persevere to the (bitter) end having bought it, as it does actually contain the Portugues I need to learn; I just wish it was organised better, without constant references to the booklet and without that very annoying jingle!
It would be more useful if each Portuguese word was followed by its phonetic spelling in brackets, allowing readers to shape words correctly.
On a rather more picky note - the tinny and repetitive music was annoying and tedious.
A great introduction and helped when shared with a partner to initiate dialogue. Fun and easy to follow.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
NOT VERY INSPIRING. MANY FAR BETTER LANGUAGE RESOURCES AVAIALBLE.Published 4 months ago by mark twain
Exercises and CD format gets you talking in no time, I could talk basic portuguese in Brazil in a week after using the book a few hours a day. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Amazon Customer
Practical and useful book and CDs - more than adequate to complete a basic Portuguese language course.Published 19 months ago by Anne Lambert
Very nice material for learners of Portuguese in general. Practical lessons and easy-to-follow steps.Published 19 months ago by vini
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > Languages > By Language > Other European Languages > Portuguese
- Books > Reference > Language > Translation & Interpretation
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies