on 9 March 2004
When I first read this manga, I have to admit I thought that the style was rather "peanuts" in it's approach, and could not get used to the 4 panel stories / strips.
Still, I thought it was huge in Japan, so it must have something to offer... and it does.
There is a strong character development, and whilst there is no ongoing story (or one I can make out yet), there is an ongoing theme, and it is absolutely hilarious.
Check out the psychopathic cat... I want one.
The books are also larger than the Tokyopop manga (of which I have many), and Azumanga Daioh is the first aquisition by ADV Manga which is extremely well drawn, and translated
Definitely one to invest in.
on 16 February 2005
It has been 3 years since I left school. During that time I have encountered very little to smile about. However this manga has given me many a good chuckle and makes me wish I had friends and teachers like the characters.
Perhaps the most memorable moment is the when "Osaka" suffers from a bout of hiccups. Much hilarity ensues as they attempt to cure her through all manner of methods, some resulting in injury to her. I have to sympathise with her as I seem to have a hiccup problem myself.
Very rarely do I encounter a book that makes me want to pick it up and re-read it even if I've gotten to the end. This is one of them. If you are not a fan of manga I suggest you give this a try.