on 26 November 1999
I was a little supprised to see yet another book on the life of Ayrton Senna by Chris Hilton and it brought back a phrase which another well respected motor racing journalist voiced at the time.
"It hurts me to have to say it but sadly dead racing drivers have a finite shelf life"
I have a sneaking admiration for the determination that made Ayrton Senna tick but it was with a certain sense of `here we go again more of the same` that I ploughed into the latest Hilton work on the most talented racing driver to grace the circuits. I had intended to speed read in the normal way I would after reading several biographies of the same person. I soon slowed down however as I found myself once more being engrossed by Hilton`s skill in developing the mind picture to such an extent that you can almost smell the exhaust fumes. Once again I felt as though I was almost there. Privileged to live the story with him, as a close but seperate spectator.
It isnt just a new way of looking at the same story, but more of the same story thats should not have been missed out before.
The second part of the book sheds some more light on the resulting aftermath of that fateful day just over five years ago when we all relearned that motor racing really is dangerous. Dont dismiss it, this really is a "must read" book.
on 18 October 2000
I've admired Chris Hilton's writing on Ayrton and his book 'the hard edge of genius' was fantastic. I picked this up being a Senna fan and was, I have to say astounded by the in-depth nature of this book. From the beginning of his career, through Karts, FF1600, 2000 and right through the Toleman, Lotus, McLaren and Williams years yuo can't go wrong with the wealth of information available. It is beautifully presented and the pictorial summary is moving as you look back on the life of one of the true greats if not the greatset. I'd thoroughly recommend this to anyone, you don't have to love motorsport to get the full benefit of this book, but if , like me you love racing and are looking for a great account of this genius, then this book is definitely for you.
on 19 December 2014
I'd read other reviews of this book, which prompted me to buy it. I have read many biographies of Senna, but the reviews on this one said there were plenty of interesting anecdotes here, as Christopher Hilton knows his subject better than anyone. The book is very well written, although the time frame jumps about a bit, it still holds your attention. I recommend it for any Senna fan, but I would advise you to start with this authors full biography first, "Ayrton Senna The Whole Story".
on 26 January 2006
Well what can i say about this book,by reading it i got closer to the life on and of the track of the great Ayrton Senna,this book is so good that in some chapters it will even touch you and make you cry in a way of speaking,many great glories of F1 are talking about the great Ayrton and not only but also simple ordinary people who had the chance to know him from close.It is a great book that talks about the great F1 driver,it also has a chapter dedicated to the IMOLA 1994 accident the circuit that claimed Roland`s Ratzenberger life,and Ayrton`s Senna life,it analyzes the whole incident and it gives new details that they were never unveiled before!Somewhere in the midle of the book there are many pages with color photos some are pretty rare some others are not,but they still are unique. So this is a beautiful book,if you are a senna fan,then buy it,you won`t regret it,i didn`t!!!!!!
on 26 February 2000
This book is excellent, it covers everthing about Senna's life. Hilton took along time to write this book and there is alot of interviews with people who worked with him. It gives a good account of his racing career as well as his personal life, also it gives a detailed accout of the last few days of his life and interviews with the people that spoken to him last. This book is interesting and it has some nice pictures to look at, so even if you don't like F1 it is still good, much better than anything Jakie Collins could write because this is all true.
on 19 June 2015