Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2001
My dad bought it for my brother but I got a hold of it first and it was so brilliant that he read it next so my brother has not got his hands on it yet. It is very very very funny and exciting and is one of the best books I have ever read. I read it in two days it was so good. I cannot wait until the next adventure.
on 31 January 2001
I love Harry Potters adventures. I have read them all. I also like Eddie Dickens' adventure in Awful End. Unlike JK Rowling, Philip Ardagh plays around with the way he tells the story as well as giving us the story itself. I like that because he is very funny. This book is FANTASTIC! I hope he writes more Eddie Dickens adventures soon.
on 27 February 2002
When Eddies parents catch a virus which makes them yellow, crinkly around the edges, and smelling of hot water bottles, he is sent to live with his Mad Uncle Jack and Even-Madder Aunt Maud in Awful End. His journey to get there is easier said than done. Especially travelling with Uncle Jack and Aunt Maud.
His advice from his Mother - don't get mistaken for a run-away orphan and get taken back to the orphanage seems silly at the time, but it doesn't when it actually happens.
I got this book twice at Christmas, as it was recommended so much.
I think that this book is for people of around my age (11-12).
It was a quick read, but a very enjoyable, and funny one. After having read this book, I now want to read the next one.
I think that it was a little bit over-rated, but still scored 8/10.
on 17 October 2000
I really enjoyed reading this book with my son - we could not stop laughing! Ardagh is a brilliant writer with an off-the-wall sense of humour that will keep you in stitches. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 9 September 2000
I haven't read anything as funny as Awful End for a very long time. I couldn't put this book down - and it wasn't because of chewing gum stuck to the cover! The adventures of Eddie Dickens are gripping and side-splitting right from the first page. If you have read any of Philip Ardagh's other books (the Get A Life series, for example) you'll know he is a past master at telling you facts in an interesting and amusing way. In this book his talent is given free rein in a work of fiction - to hilarious effect. A roller-coaster ride of a book that will keep you laughing right to the end!
on 6 May 2004
This book is a laugh out loud read. Enjoyable for kids and adults. The adventure of Eddie Dickens are so funny you will snatch the next two up just to learn what happened to Mad Uncle Jack, even Madder Aunt Maud, and of course her stuffed stoat Malcolm (or is it Sally?) Herring, St. Horrid's Orphanage for Greatful orphans, and a sickness making people get crinkly around the edges and smell like old hot water bottles is in this book that is like Lemony Snicket with a comic twist. Monty Python lovers will also enjoy this book.
on 13 January 2006
Forgive the five stars, which always look to me like over-excited hyperbole, but Awful End really is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Endlessly inspired and random, the tale of poor befuddled Eddie's journey from his home to Awful End is full of bizarre, hilarious goings-on.
True, it's only 130ish pages long, and I read it in one sitting - but it's the kind of explosion of wit that demands re-reading. The characters are all completely mad and you accept it going in, and Ardagh's narrative voice, slightly reminiscent of Lemony Snicket, is weirdly informative but never patronising (which is where he differs from Snicket; he's better!).
It's a work of genius or a mess of lunacy, depending on your disposition, but it's undeniably hilarious either way. VERY highly recommended.
on 8 December 2001
The nearest thing to AWFUL END is Lemony Snicket and he should give up and go home. AWFUL END rules! AWFUL END is way out and funny when Lemony Snicket is just patchy and much more babyish. Lemony Snicket is for kids. AWFUL END is the real thing. My whole family thinks AWFUL END is great. I am getting DREADFUL ACTS for Christmas.
on 29 December 2015
I struggled to read this, and found it a difficult text to engage the children with.
on 7 October 2016
Very well written for age 10. Highly recommend by the English teacher.