The story running through issues #1-6 of Avengers (volume 5) is collected as Avengers: Avengers World. This is the beginning of Jonathan Hickman's turn on the Avengers franchise, and you can immediately see the scope that he brought to the Fantastic Four being unveiled here. The opening couple of pages take us from the birth of the universe to the near future, and a few images of future stories to worry about, and back to the present, where Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are about to recruit the latest Avengers, while on Mars the characters who will be deemed to be the villains of the story are introduced. They have been around since the early days of intelligent life in the universe, and their mission is to go boldly etc. etc. and seed new life on worlds, even if those worlds already have life - the Earth, for example. They have already sent some bio-bombs which are mutating the areas thy land on, and an Avengers team - consisting of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye and the Black Widow - has gone to confront them. Captain America is sent back as a warning not to interfere. Once recovered, the second issue sees Cap switch on the Avengers Assembling device that Tony devised earlier in a flashback, and the appropriate team for the threat level is summoned - a Hyperion, Captain Universe, Smasher (who might be new), Manifold (the teleporter, who I thought died recently in X-Force), Cannonball and Sunspot, Spider-Woman and Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Falcon, Spider-Man, and Shang-Chi. There is much flashbacking to the recruiting drive to fill out the issue, along with more bio-bombs falling on Earth. Issue #3 sees the confrontation on Mars, along with its resolution. Issue #4 sees a team investigating one of the bombs that fell in the Savage land, where they find an A.I.M. team prodding at it with a big stick - "We were curious". We also get a bit of flashback to this Hyperion's origin. Issue #5 focuses on the origin of Smasher, who has found some Shi'Ar intelligent bioware which co-opts her as a Shi'Ar Sub-Guardian and takes her to the homeworld of Chandilar for induction and training. She later brings the Avengers to rescue a border world under attack by an alien menace, and gets promoted to Imperial guard. There is some family/character stuff, including a grandfather who knew Steve Rogers, so you can work out the rest of that; and a dangling plot thread involving those aliens setting up a future storyline. Issue #6 primarily focuses on Captain Universe, or at least the human host, who Shang-Chi is slowly taking through her hidden memories to find out who she is, along with some character development stuff with some of the other Avengers in the background.

This is an excellent storyline, with a good mix of cosmic and character scenes, and also a good mix of old and new characters (I'm sure we've met that AIM scientist in an FF story), and some setting up of future storylines. This is The Avengers.
on 20 May 2013
I really like Jonathan Hickman's Manhattan Projects and he strikes me as a good ideas guy who puts together really cool designs like logos in his books, but, man, try as I do, I just cannot warm to any of his superhero comics. They're all filled with what seem like big ideas - "gods" creating life, high evolution, solving galaxy-sized problems, looking at the universe as a whole - but reading it is just the blandest, most boring experience.

The comics almost always feature narratives along the lines of creation, space, the universe, and abstract characters like a New Adam or the Mother of the Universe. The first three issues of Avengers World has a trio of World Engineers who've lived for millions (or billions or whatever, it doesn't matter) years creating and destroying worlds and they've now set their sights on Earth to terraform into a new utopia, wiping out humanity. Except they're on Mars which they're turned green with their alien tech and have decided to bombard Earth with organic bombs a la the giant bugs in Starship Troopers.

And then we get to the Avengers who teleport over to Mars to fight these god-like aliens. In what world do characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Falcon stand a chance against these ridiculously powerful creatures? Even Cap, the team leader, really shouldn't make a dent on any of the alien creatures, throwing his shield at them or no. The only ones who could make a difference would be Thor, Hulk, Hyperion - the truly powerful members of the Avengers. It's farcical to believe that every member of the Avengers can make a difference in this scenario - even fan favourites like Spider-man and Wolverine seem useless in this story.

I get that Hickman is "going bigger" with this storyline but his additions to the team lineup render almost all of them useless. I mean, the Mother of the Universe? Why even bother having any other member on the team? Considering her powers are limitless and insanely powerful, it seems wholly pointless having someone like Spider Woman on her side as her contribution is completely diminished.

Hickman's bland storytelling, which involves characters talking abstractly about, what become, boring concepts - we've got to get bigger, we've got to get smarter, etc. over and over - makes for a truly tedious read. After the world-building aliens in the first three issues, the second half is a cobbled-together assortment of random space battles and setting up another Hickman-esque event storyline called The White Event. I'm trying but I really can't connect with his superhero stuff - reading this book makes me feel that he doesn't care at all and that he cares a lot all at the same time. I know, it's really weird.

But honestly, I did not care about anything in this book even for a moment. Big ideas, sure I guess - space adventures, god aliens - but executed so poorly as to render interesting ideas, dull. Once again, Hickman fails to interest with another superhero book. The one time I enjoyed the book was looking at the variant covers gallery and seeing Deadpool dancing gangnam style. If only that had been this book...
on 30 August 2014
I am not entirely sure what I was expecting to see when I got myself this issue of Avengers. I have followed them on and off for various years, but not nearly enough to consider myself a true fun. Was it then worth to buy ‘Avengers World’? Yes and no, I don’t exactly regret buying the comic, but I didn’t truly expect to buy it before other Marvel NOW! titles out of not being a big Avengers fan. Written by Jonathan Hickman and with art by Jerome Opeña and Adam Kubert, the comic doesn’t present the most exciting of storyarcs – perhaps an expected result of Brian Bendis’ monopoly on Avenger titles since 2004 – though it isn’t nearly as bad as it might sound. I don’t regret buying ‘Avengers World’ at all, on the contrary.

In this re-launch, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark make plans to re-invent and upgrade the Avengers team in preparation for more high-level threats that they feel will be coming their way. After the inevitable happens, and the call for assistance goes out, the new heroes come running to give all the assistance they can give. The plot further deals with what happens when a would-be world destroyer attacks earth. It has been done before, but the way Hickman handles it makes it take a twist and avoid this dreaded cliché-ness. It is quite grand in scale and handled in quite an original way, and takes some unceremonious twists when Earth’s Mightiest are beaten. Whilst the first arc (comprising issues #1-#3) seems generic, it soon is apparent that this is just staging ground for a much grander epic story. By the end of the Volume, the very nature of the Marvel Universe and why exactly Earth might be important, comes into question.

Without giving away too many details, I’ll also say that the new Avengers members are largely characters which haven’t been in Avengers before this series. Though of the ridiculously powerful kind, they merge very well with the plot, and are actually what made me enjoy the most about these issues. They were handled beautifully and gave the plot a very good twist and tone. Both halves were entertaining in different ways, but Hickman has managed to pull off a supernatural event with quite an amount of success. His writing is wonderful as well, and wonderful to read, especially when relating to the more-unknown characters.
The art on the book is, without a doubt, some of the best I have seen in this medium. It is grade A and worth the highest marks, no question about it. Opeña and Kubert are fantastic artists, and their different styles don’t harm at all these issues. My reasons for purchasing this volume was the art, and it didn’t disappoint at all. I have no complaints at all in this department, on the contrary. It made reading ‘Avengers World’ a pleasure to read, and it combines with the story perfectly.

In a sense, it leaves a sense of nostalgia for Marvels New Universe, which will play a heavy role in the overarching plot that Hickman will be overseeing. It ties really well with the other Marvel NOW! titles (if you follow Superior Spider-Man you will know exactly why) and reenergizes the concept. I can’t exactly say I enjoyed it enough to give it the highest rating, though it certainly made me curious as to how the arc will continue. In my opinion, ‘Avengers World’ is as such a great read, and a great start to what should play out to be an interesting mystery in the Marvel Multiverse. I give it 4/5, with a full recommendation to buy. It might not be the best of the best, but it can’t be denied that it is good.
on 19 July 2013
I'm not overly familar with any of Jonathan Hickman's previous work (I dabbled in FF a couple of years ago), but being a fan of the Avengers already I kept the title I've been collecting for 3 years. Honestly, I'm not sure why Marvel relaunched everything with a new Marvel NOW revamp - there was nothing wrong with the status quo, but revamp they did and this is one of the results.

This new direction is a bold step. Tony Stark confers with Steve Rogers and tells him that due to bigger threats, they need a bigger team. This is entirely reasonable and makes good sense, and I enjoyed the part where he's kind of recruiting his new team members, many of which I'm not at all familar with (Hyperion, Capt Universe, Manifold, Cannonball, Sunspot and Smasher).

But then a threat emerges from Mars and I started to yawn a bit. I perservered, and am still collecting the title (at the time of typing we're at issue 16), but it's been tough going if I'm honest.

I've spent quite some time trying to put my finger on what bothers me about the new story. I think it's simply the new members of the team, and the new "bad guys". Hickman is tellng me that the universe and all the worlds within are created by some super beings called Builders. This is like Ridley Scott telling me that the Earth was created by Engineers in Prometheus. There is a similarity here, and it bothered me about Prometheus.

I'm happy with the art and colouring, which is of a high standard. I'm still coming to terms with the storyline. It isn't terrible - it's just a new concept for me. Remember when the bad guys were Norman Osborn or AIM or Hydra? That's probably what bothers me (although AIM do appear later on in this title - probably around Vol 3).

I'm led to believe that Uncanny Avengers is the better title, where our familiar heroes (again with a couple of extras after the fallout of AvX) battle some familiar foes - I probably should have collected this title instead. However, if you do perservere with this title, it all leads to something bigger and the entire series is growing on me, so don't despair.

After the Marvel NOW launch, we have Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers Arena (an absolutely dreadful comic), Young Avengers, Avengers Assemble and probably a couple of others I've missed out. I'm hearing good things about Uncanny Avengers, and New Avengers is on my next hit list to be reviewed as that is not bad either. If you're worried about Avengers Saturation, I'd recommend the plain old Avengers title, as it has definitely grown on me.
on 25 December 2014
Not as expected. Nice book but I expected a hardback
on 5 January 2015
Great read and introduces some interesting characters into the Avengers lineup, recommend to any Avengers fan
on 26 May 2013
Despite Marvels claims Uncanny Avengers is the true avengers book, this is actually the best Avengers book. strong writing and dynamic art really make the book stand far above all the other avengers books marvel is throwing out right now.

the plot is well basically like all hickman plots, there is a story, but that story is really a tiny part of massive picture. the story is pretty average, the Avengers movie team go to mars to stop a new set of villains (good on hickman for not using the same avengers for 20th time) even then Im sure calling them villians would be the correct term, they more like antagonists, they are not evil, they seem to justify their plans as being in the greater good for humanity. The Avengers movie teams is beaten and captured, and so Captain America forms an all new team (very much akin to the giant size x-men) there is a mix of old favorites from geoff and bendis area and new members. The first 3 issues with the book focus on the battle with garden, its a short but sweet affair, big battles, with no time for characterisation.
the next 3 issues then wisely a more character driven affair, hickman chooses to focus on characters we've not really seen before and lack their own titles (who wants to learn about spider man when he's got 3 of his solo books). This style is very different from bendis gossip style, and its nice to see the change after having so many years of the bendis run.

each issues hints at something bigger, there is a machine code for readers to work out, although will confess by the end of the first volume i have no idea what's going on in terms of the overarching narrative, but thats fine because the main story is of such a high quality. I think if your gonna invest yourself in this series, the end will be a massive pay off for you (very similar to grant millars batman run) as opposed to the traditional short term gratification

the art is pretty good across the board, Jerome Opena art is very unique and stands out, the colouring is also very interesting on his parts. Adam Kubert then does the final 3 issues, sadly in particular issue 5 looks rushed and there a lot of errors, however, given his father passed away around the time of production of this, I don't blame him. Nor does that single issue ruin the whole presentation.

all covers are by dustin weaver, there is also a tone of variant covers at the back, sadly they are not full pages, some of them look incredible, its a shame they've been shrunk down.

The second problem is marvel new Hardbacks no longer come with a sleeve, thus the outside of the books looks and feels weird. this a problem across all of MarvelNOW!'s hardback range.

Overall a very strong start. High recommended.
on 23 January 2015
Great Product very pleased with the service.
on 18 June 2013
I've read every comment of this series and can't seem to get into it as much as the other Marvel Now titles, the first issue I enjoyed. As it showed Stark talking to Rogers about expanding the team while showing the Avengers getting beaten, by the end it shows Captain America standing in front of a much larger team of Avengers. However the following issues aren't interesting, with the series getting less and less interesting as it progresses.

The entire series has revolved around these world changers, immensely powerful beings with the power to literally change worlds. Personally i've found that this current story arc just goes on for far too long, as at issue 13 they are literally babysitting a new species of humanoids.

I would recommend not going for this series and instead buying a different comic. I would suggest Uncanny Avengers as shows an Avengers team in action and a far more interesting story including some more interesting characters.
on 12 September 2015
Personally found this a good read