on 1 May 2009
As someone who has been building and repairing vehicles for longer than I care to admit, I have at last realised that I must learn how to deal with vehicles post 1996.
"How to use Automotive Diagnostic scanners" takes you through the whole learning process beginning with why we need computer controlled engines at all, the early types of on board diagnostics, leading to the industry standard of ODB11. A chapter on the various products on offer and benefits of each. A chapter on the use of these tools as a diagnose to what might actually be wrong. A great book, well written, clearly illustrated. When you've finished it, put it on the shelf -you will need it again. There should be no secondhand copies.
on 12 February 2012
I bought this to accompany a U281 OBD-2 CAN-BUS CODE SCANNER VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA CAR. As it transpired the book was of little use to me as I had a problem with an Airbag System Fault which the book does not cover - it's a pity that the listing for the book didn't make it clear that it only covered engine management, not SRS, ABS or Transmission. Having now used the scanner and repaired the airbag system fault, given the amount of information available on-line I doubt if the book would be really all that useful in the event of an engine management fault. When I completed the scan, it identified a coolant system fault on the engine system which I didn't know was there. I used the scanner to reset the fault, I didn't need to use the book. The book includes some background information about the development & introduction of micro-processor based engine management systems, but from an American perspective.
on 1 October 2011
Great book. This demystifys on board diagnostics. Gives you a history how it came into being.Easy to read simplistic diagrams. OK some smart experts will may poo poo it for that, but hey once you learn the basics you can build on them.
on 10 March 2011
Very good useful information in this book easy to follow guide and pictures.
Good reference to different makes and models.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the diagnostic side of vehicle repairs.
on 6 November 2009
Packed with information, not all of which is relevant to British cars, but I am glad I bought it.
on 7 March 2013
Again similar to the other book,and a good companion to it,a lot of learning got from this one.Will read again Recommended!
on 5 February 2013
I bought this for my husbands birthday along with a scanner he is engrossed in it as he is a mechanic.
on 9 January 2013
Got what I ordered and helps my husband in his job.
Helps you to used the machine purchased to its full potential.
on 10 May 2016
After 50 years of building and playing with cars I find you can no longer fix them with a set of AF spaners and a big hammer! I wanted to understand how they now work. This book is American and the examples and pictures are Ford, GM and Chrysler, but it is written very well and is easy for an old boy like me to understand what happens in modern cars. It explains how and why the departure from carbs to fuel injection came about and the need and development of computer control on board the car. I am only half way through the book but it has opened my eyes to the dramatic changes that have taken place in the last 20 years (led by an obsession in lowering exhaust pollution at the expense of polluting the world with the pollution generated in constructing replacement vehicles and destroying the redundant ones!). This book is a good starting point if you are thinking of investing in a scanner. Cars are a lot cleverer than me these days, but yes I have purchased a scanner and may give it a go!
on 4 January 2013
As said above Better than expected, although I am by no means a technical guy I learned a lot, the book is well illustrated and pretty well put together.I am now about to use the information to pen a missive to my dealer (Peugeot)and see if one can sort out some of the problems that have crept in as the vehicle has become older, for interests sake my vehicle is ten years old but has very low mileage and it appears that the electrical components are reaching the end off their natural life as it were, as is common it seems in most countries a lot of motor macs wont touch these electronics and if one does not try and at least have an overview then the expenses mount alarmingly,it was of particular interest to read that the American Congress had to pass an antitrust law to get the Motor Companies to make diagnostics more generally available (Info courtesy of the book).
Suffice to say that those of us who grew up keeping older cars on the road, are suddenly out of our depth with modern electronics and some knowledge needs to obtained hence a book such as How to use Aotomotive Diagnostics Scanners goes a fair way to lifting the veil as it were.