on 11 August 2013
Ideal for anyone starting out with AutoCAD who hasn't used it before but may have some experience in other 2D and/or 3D software packages. The only reason it got 4 starts is because I haven't finished using it fully yet so can't judge completely.
on 29 August 2015
AutoCAD is a very powerful tool but it has an arcane interface: a mixture of old DOS like commands coupled with context sensitive menus plus buttons etc scattered all over the screen and then there is the command line. But because of its power, accuracy, and speed -when you get the hang of it- it is well worth using. Also AutoCAD is an industry world standard.

With that in mind 'AutoCAD 2013 for Dummies' does a pretty good job of getting you up and running with a very complex program, especially if you are teaching yourself and are not familiar with the ways of AutoCAD. There is also some useful information about drafting in general: paper sizes, unit types, industry normal practices etc. Some reviewers say that not everything is clearly explained and in areas that is the case, but it is fairly easy to get the detailed information from AutoCAD help or other sources on the net. Where the book shines though is its good structure, easy to follow style, and many illustrations. Of course, it's written in the usual 'Dummies' style.

What lets this book down is the presentation. I wouldn't want the text to be any smaller and the the images of the AutoCAD screen shots are poor quality: the on- screen text is so small that it's illegible as are the symbols. Another general criticism is that there is far too much white space on the pages and the boiler plate- page numbers, symbols in the left margin (warnings, tips, technical stuff) etc- are way too big. The end result is that the important AutoCAD specific information, especially the screen shots, are far too small. Other images and figures are clear and of a good size though.

Having said that, the underlying content is excellent and on that basis the book still deserves five stars and is highly recommended.
on 9 April 2013
A great book for an AutoCAD first-timer like me, easily enough information to get you off to a decent start. The book is well presented and explained. It does contain some of the worst puns ever encountered in the human sphere of existence but while you will undoubtedly be laughing at, rather than with the author, they make the book far more readable and break the monotony well.

For those looking for an easy-to-read, informative book not written for those who have spent the last 10 years sitting in front of CAD packages or by a professor looking to show how intelligent they are by using overly complex terminology, this is the book for you!

Also worth noting, I’m using AutoCAD 2014 and am yet to find any differences (at least at my level) between what's written in here and the new program.
on 27 March 2014
I have just received my copy. And straight from the packaging the book falls flat open with a significant crack along the spine and the nearby pages already beginning to detach.

This is just from taking the book out of the packaging - haven't attempted to read it yet.

Have returned it for replacement in the hope that it is a one off.

If that one is similar then I saw return that one too but for refund and I remove a star

If the replacement is fine then I will re-evaluate my review.

UPDATE
======

Received the replacement today. This one is worse. Has a similar cracked spine and loose pages but this ones also has a creased, folded and torn front cover and first few pages.

All returned for refund.

Reduced to One Star
on 15 December 2013
I am learning CAD from scratch hence why I purchased this book, now it's fairly well written though on occasions the author isn't particularly clear and has a tendency not to explain why you are using a certain function but all in all it's a good learning tool.

However the book is incredibly poorly put together, I only used the book for a few days (note I am always careful with books and treat them with respect) and it has just fallen apart therefore it's only a matter of time before pages get lost and the book is useless.

All in all I wouldn't advise people not to buy this book but I can't recommend it either
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 July 2013
I completed the City and Guilds Intermediate and Advanced Autocad course some years ago but never got to use the software as seriously as I had expected. Now confronted with Autocad 2013 I realised I,m rusty need to start all over again. This book has helped me to get back in to it and I feel confident enough to re-do the course which I would advise other starters to do. I an a grizzly old draughtsman with loads of drawing experience but Autocad is complex and to get the best out of it and save a lot of time you need books like these and formal training to get to grips with it.
on 16 October 2013
A very good book in all, but does go on and dilly dally about stuff I felt was a bit irrelevant.

Good to use to look up something or to clarify. :)
on 23 May 2013
A excellent tool to use for reference it has not failed to help with any problems I have encountered worth evey penny!
Very poor, like the other two similar AutoCAD volumes I have.

This fails completely at the target- admittedly my target- of leading you through producing working drawings in AutoCAD. It's a disjointed collection of commands and instructions. I need something more like Randy Shih's "Parametric Modelling with UGS..", which actually helps you with the process.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 June 2013
I bought this book recently at the time I had very knowledge of AutoCad. I have his 2000i edition which was rather good so I bought his latest one.
Good for the very beginners though.
The book is well written, less serious and less expensive compare with others.
A good intorduction to the subject; as the name implies...!