Autism: Explaining the Enigma (Cognitive Development) Paperback – 25 Mar 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Uta Frith′s Autism has been an indispensable reference, an instant classic, since it was first published, and in this new edition it has been radically revised, with striking enrichments and enlargements in almost every chapter, most especially with dramatic new brain imaging studies which clarify the fundamental nature of autism. But it remains a deeply personal book, as moving and delightful as it is authoritative." Oliver Sacks, MD <!––end––>
"One of the most recognised names in autism research ... Her [Frith′s] book is valuable for educated parents interested in learning about autism in a larger historical context ... enlightening." Library Journal, July 2003
"provides a valuable introduction to contemporary cognitive theories." Sally Bigham, Brunel University, British Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol.21, Part 3, September 2003
"Uta Frith has long been regarded as one of the leading experts in current autism research and psychological theory in this country ... this second edition presents an easy–to–read and logical journey through autism, from what it is and how it is and has been perceived, through current psychological theory to neurological explanation and practical implications. It is an extremely worthwhile book for anyone who wants a research–led understanding of the psychology of autism, particularly students interested in the topic or parents and professionals who may wish to understand the theories feeding future interventions and current understanding of this complex spectrum of conditions." Fiona J. Scott, Psychological Medicine, Vol. 34, 2004
From the Back Cover
The first edition of Autism: Explaining the Enigma quickly became a classic because it provided the first satisfactory psychological account of what happens in the mind of a person with autism. The book proposed that the key problems were an inability to recognize and think about thoughts (theory of mind), and an inability to integrate pieces of information into coherent wholes (central coherence). It suggested that from this beginning, problems of communication, social interaction, and flexibility follow as the complex interactions of human development unfold.
This updated edition reports on how this explanation has stood the test of time. A new chapter outlines developments in neuropsychological research that have taken place since the book was first published and reviews the growing body of work on the neurological basis of autism. The accessible style and structure of the original edition have been retained, with information and references updated throughout.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I have found it a very good reference book for use in my teaching.
A must for those who want to know more about Autism.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
good condition and arrived promptly. This book is an excellent resource for professionals and anyone with an interest in Autism,Published 3 months ago by eith b
Very useful, informed book that I am using to write an essay. Clearly written, good evidence base and the author is clinically and academically well-versed in the subject matter.Published on 15 Jun. 2013 by Ms. AC Hodges
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Child & Developmental Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Paediatrics
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Pregnancy & Childcare > Children's Health & Nutrition > Autism
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Cognition & Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Social & Developmental Psychology > Child & Developmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies