Customer reviews

on 8 June 2012
I fully appreciate that the Autism Spectrum is a very large one and encompasses a wide range of character and behavioural aspects. This book looks at those that are able to take a full part in what may be called 'normal' life but at the same time recognise that aspects of their condition give them a different view of the world and bring a different set of skills.

We see how their approach to detail in the workplace can make them a real plus as they see through all the cliques and office politics and tell it like it is. The Savant Manager was one of my favourite chapters. The author tells us he will never be the CEO but makes a great right hand man to spot the errors and look objectively at work place systems and practices.

Many will be familiar with Temple Grandin but her inclusion here reminds us again of an Asperger view of the world and how it can have a positive effect. Even if those around you need to adjust to get used to you! Obsessions that are used in a positive way or as in the case of Will Hadcroft, to help him through his teenage years providing a method of escape and security.

Other chapters looking at people's journey as to where they are now, their relationships and further aspirations are encouraging to those on the spectrum and their carers. Maybe society finally needs to wake up and use these valuable skills these people have to offer.

An interesting read for parents, carers, family members and adult Aspergics alike.
on 18 February 2012
Brought this to read as i've read some of the other works of the people collaborating in this book. I have to say that although it was interesting to read, i was disappointed. It didn't really have anything to do with what it says, it left me disillusioned. I expected it to be about how their aspergus helped them in their careers, instead it made me feel strange as some of them didn't even have diagnosis so i didn't understand why they were even included in the book. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to anyone
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse