on 16 April 2017
Excellent
on 1 August 2000
To modern eyes, as with Braddon's other cracking bestseller, Lady Audley's Secret, the plot revelations may seem a bit transparent, but to the contemporary readers of a genre which was self-consciously pushing back the boundaries of what could be incorporated into literature, there must have been a guilty tension between what they imagined in their heads and what they scarcely dared to imagine could be set down on the page. A thoroughly gripping read, rich in mid-Victorian domestic and social detail, with Braddon equally adept at comedy, suspense and melodrama. (Presumably George Eliot was an admirer, since she used the name of one of the heroes, Bulstrode, for a character in Middlemarch, a decade later.)
on 15 November 2009
Aurora Floyd confused me slightly at the start until I realised the opening chapter wasn't actually about our heroine, though whether that's a justifiable label for her is debatable during the book, and is in fact about her mother. Once the tale of Aurora herself starts we head into sensation territory with a big secret that Aurora carries. Now though the blurb on the back of the book gives everything away, I don't want to. Suffice to say that once happily married, after quite a turbulent set of proposals and suitors, the past comes back to haunt Aurora as she nestles happily married to John Mellish, a character I adored. What the blurb doesn't give away is though the secret becomes revealed a murder takes place leaving a wonderful whodunit suddenly and the whole feel of the book changes once more.

I will admit that I did struggle with this book to start of. Whilst by the end I understood the need for Aurora's heritage to be shown, at the beginning it seemed an irrelevant chapter and I wont lie it did throw me into a small confusion, in fact the first few chapters did as everything gets set up very quickly before a hundred and fifty pages of gentle hinting and romantic interludes which didn't thrill me. It was the last 170 pages or so that made the wait worthwhile as the twists and turns I wasn't expecting suddenly came to light. Ok so the plot isnt too far from Lady Audley's Secret but I loved the characters both good and bad in this book so very much. If you like Victoriana, melodrama, classics and sensation novels then this is a must read.
on 29 July 2009
Aurora Floyd is a novel that has everything; drama, crime and implicit sexual shenanigans. Mary Braddon draws clear and perceptive characters and shows them in sharp and vibrant action. Over many years I have found that I can read this book again and again and still enjoy the description of some truly diverse characters each with his or her own story to tell. A wonderful book with delightfully fulsome yet clear narrative which insists that you turn over the page to see what happens next. This is
a splendid novel.
on 4 December 2007
This is one of my very favourite novels. I've read it over and over again, and sometimes I just dip into it for pleasure. The characters almost walk off the pages, and it's a wonderful period piece if you are keen on Victoriana.
on 27 April 2014
'Lady Audley's Secret' is one of my favourite novels of all time and I couldn't put it down (it ranks up there with 'The Woman in White' for the best examples of 'sensationalist' fiction). Unfortunately I found this book a real struggle to get through and, in terms of disappointment, this is up there with watching Alien 3 and the Matrix sequels after excellent earlier experiences. I'm glad that other people liked it, but it was a real let down for me.
on 24 December 2015
The Kindle version is not the correct book - this is not "Aurora Floyd" or any other work by Mary Braddon.
on 31 January 2016
I was puzzled as at the front of the actual book was another book which had no connection at all with Aurora Floyd. I think it may have been a hic-cup. I was expecting a Victorian novel, and the first story was so obviously 20th century as the heroine could fly an aeroplane!
I did quite enjoy the actual Auror Floyd when I finally got to it!
on 8 March 2015
do not buy - this is nothing like the full version and is full of typos and omissions!
on 12 April 2013
Despite occasional lapses into 'correct' Victorian sensibilities Braddon can usually be relied upon to deliver a good story, with (for the most part) strong female characters - even if they have to have some sort of comeuppance in the end.