Augustine: The City of God against the Pagans (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought) Paperback – 24 Sep 1998
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'Dyson's wonderfully lucid, carefully literal and historically sensitive translation … makes this the edition that most readers will now choose to consult … We must be grateful for this excellent new translation.' The Times Higher Education Supplement
'It reads remarkably well; it is elegant, generally succeeds in reproducing the rhetorical colouring Augustine frequently gives his argument, and, is remarkably faithful to the text. A short but helpful introduction … provides the necessary information about the context of the work, and summarises the main points of Augustine's political thought. The book is handsome and well produced.' Journal of Ecclesiastical History
This is the first new rendition for a generation of The City of God, the first major intellectual achievement of Latin Christianity and one of the classic texts of Western civilisation. The translation is presented with full biographical notes, a concise introduction, bibliography, and chronology of Augustine's life.See all Product description
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Theology
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Political Science > History