on 3 June 2014
we have four security cams and one used to have a mic at front door, when it failed bought a new one without audio and this seperate mic which we put further towards front of house. can hear everything that happens out front and recorded on harddrive.
on 30 April 2011
I'm sure that like myself, a lot of people use security cameras for monitoring wildlife activity in their gardens etc. A number of these cameras come with cables that accept an audio input but which isn't available from the camera itself. This microphone does the job perfectly well and provides very sensitive audio pickup in the direction the camera is facing. I merely taped it to the camera body under the sun cowl. I fitted one of the small foam plastic windshields to cut down wind noise but the microphone performed well in this respect without the windshield. As it runs from 12 volts which is the same supply as the camera, I used a short splitter cable to power both the microphone and the camera from the same 12 volt PSU. To date it's been running without any issues whatsoever and even into direct wind, the noise isn't excessive and it doesn't drown out bird song etc.

Most certainly I'd recommend this for the task I put it to but I'd say it would be equally useful for those using security cameras for their intended purpose. I now need to order more in fact.
on 16 June 2014
The sound is nice and clean with good sensitivity - have a power supply just for microphones though...

First of all, I tried a power splitter next to the cctv camera but it picked up the frame signal from the power. Next, I tried using a power cable of its own (so it had a power and signal cable to itself) and put the power splitter on the camera power at the back of the DVR - now it picked up the scan frequency (or sidebands in it) so I put the power splitter on the DVR's power lead (all works off 12V) and then it picked up the frame interval so it had a sort of short duration low frequency burst every second. Now, it has its own dedicated 12V supply and it is great.

It is capable of picking up whispering at the front door from at least a metre away.

I would recommend some form of wind shield for it (foam) if you have it outdoors (and, of course, keep it away from water).
on 10 October 2009
Just works - can record conversations from several feet away. Thoroughly reccomend - got me much needed peace from a neighbour from hell!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 November 2014
This augments a CCTV installation and is powered from the same 12v supply as the camera using one of these Sourcingmap 11.8 inch 2.1x5.5mm DC Female to 2 Male Power Splitter Cable

I used a 10-metre mono phono cable to run the signal back into the building into the CCTV recording unit. Sound quality is excellent, no hum or noise even though it's running next to mains cables and video cables.

Wind is a problem, not with me personally, but with the sound - you absolutely need a microphone foam windshield and you can get golfball sized windshields with a 7mm cutout that fits this beautifully from many sources (except Amazon it would appear) for just a couple of quid.

This is mounted inside the base of a dome camera with the foam windshield squished around it the best I could get it to fit and it's great. What the long-term effects of the outdoor environment will have on the unit remains to be seen, although the actual electronics are all protected by a heat-shrink cover so only the very tip of the microphone is 'exposed' - and now even that is protected by the foam windshield.

For the price you just can't go wrong if you're looking for audio for your CCTV.
on 8 November 2011
for once you get an item that does what it says on the packet, worked first time.
very good product, promt delivery.
on 17 July 2010
Opened packet, plugged in working great. Puts that extra diemnsion to my security. Does what it says on the box.
Very pleased with my mic and service of BV. Excellent.
on 6 September 2014
I purchased two of these to connect to my CCTV system & am pleased with the result. Although tiny in size the audio quality is superb, picking up noise from a quite a distance. I recommend this product & the seller as the product was delivered within the time frame promised.
on 19 April 2013
this little mic is good value for the money and works well without noticable hiss because its so small it is easily concealed ,
on 30 June 2011
Regrettably this company are reluctant to assist potential customers with requests for product information.

I will not be purchasing anything from them now or in the future