on 22 October 2016
I chose this book along with another (Taylor) to learn some Greek in order to help my daughter who is thinking of doing Classical Greek GCSE. This book has lots of practice at translating which I thought would be useful to get me used to reading the Greek. It also has passages in English about life in Ancient Greek which are good to set the context and give a light relief from translating all the time. It covers the grammar and I use it alongside Taylor to reinforce aspects of the language. The text is clear and of a good size which I think is so important when learning a new language where words will be strange and you need to see spellings, accents etc clearly.
on 16 March 2017
Very useful intro to Ancient Greek, but a lot of work - I'm on chapter 10 but at it nearly a year already. But I'm also working the Workbook - do get it, it's excellent, thorough, and you'll be thoroughly grounded in reading and "composition" at it's end. I'm using the latest Workbook, and a few things are poorly explained in the appropriate chapter or book that are thrown up in the Workbook - e.g. the participle exercises in Chapters 8 and 9, though this may be an artifact of me using the older Student Book.
on 23 March 2013
There is still no perfect beginner's guide to Ancient Greek, but this comes a lot closer than most. Ideally, one would wish for something like the Cambridge Latin Course, with its simple but engaging stories and its wealth of background information. The problem with Greek is not the alphabet, as beginners often think, but that there is so much grammar (much more than Latin), and no real way round it. Yet Athenaze tries hard. It has interesting and amusing stories, it tries to keep the flow going even when the grammar gets hard, and it has interesting background information, just like the Cambridge Latin Course. It is a pity that its illustrations are only in monochrome; a splash of colour would have lifted the tone a little, and made the book more appealing. So, not perfect - but probably better than anything else out there, so well worth a try.
on 25 August 2010
The Athenaze books on ancient Greek language are absolutely splendid (books 1 and 2).
I also have the Oxford Ancient Greek dictionary - wonderful! Together,
I have a tremendous starter course in ancient Greek - it is very straight forward; very instructive; well laid out and holds the attention. It's just the job for an old boiler like me!
on 11 June 2015
A pretty bad course. It confuses students. Thrasymachus is hard=core on the grammar, but it works.
on 19 May 2017
Looks useful.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2006
I m sorry to go against some other coments about that ancient Greek course, but I have to say that I have enjoyed working on Athenaze a lot. I m currently studying Attic Greek, and do use this course along with the "reading Greek" course from CUP.

Athenaze does take things easy, gently, the grammar is very well explained, the exercises are easy and there s a good choice, and the textbook is interresting to use..

Even without a teacher, i would recommend that course for self study, as it is really clearly organised and does make the study of ancient Greek very easy, and interresting
on 4 November 2011
Bought for our daughter who is learning Ancient Greek at University. This book is required by the course. The service was great as usual and arrived at her Halls promptly.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 December 2011
Purchased as one used in my greek class (or geek class as it is known) and wanted a copy at home
on 26 July 2012
Bought it as it was the required textbook for my university course. The book itself pretty much covers everything you want to know at this level in a clear format. The regular reading passages break up the grammar nicely and make you feel like you're actually getting somewhere with the language. It covers a couple of myths and some history so the vocab you're learning should be relevant when translating 'real' Ancient Greek. It even integrates little bits of actual Greek sources in the later passages (albeit with lots of footnotes). A fantastic introduction to the language.