on 10 July 2016
As with many books covering television productions of several decades ago, details can be lost in the mists of time unless authors are able to interview surviving production and cast members or their relatives. Fortunately the author in this case has been able to do precisely that so much of the book contains 'horses mouth' information. The book is also written in such a way that one feels one is actually there as opposed to merely looking back into the past. There are nevertheless some let-downs. Some information about the Eastern National Omnibus Co. is misleading or untrue (for example, Eastern National was based at Chelmsford, not Wood Green. They merely had a small depot at the latter) but the biggest horror is perhaps describing the London Transport RTL type bus as a 'Routemaster'. It is also disappointing to see that modern and extremely irritating term ' train station' being used (train stations are in the USA, Britain has railway [or rail] stations). These minus points aside, I understand the author is quite young and without wishing to sound patronising it must be said that he has done a splendid job overall and his enthusiasm is to be admired.
on 19 April 2013
I liked this book and it took me back 40 years to when I was a young(ish) lad. The only other TV programme that I can recall following with such passion in the early 70's was Z-Cars. Having parents who did not drive, meant we all had to use buses to get around and I can remember (especially when with mischievous school-friends) was deciding which of our local bus drivers was the nearest to Butler and cheering when we saw he was driving on our route. The book told me a lot that I didn't know about the programme and there was lots of input and quotes by the actors and actresses who starred in it. I would have preferred to have learned more about the making of the programme and did not need an episode by episode synopsis, which I found to be quite boring. But the main let down for the book was the huge number of grammatical errors - words with incorrect spellings (at one stage Rhyl in North Wales had the spelling Ryhl) and there were loads of times when words were split into two by a word space! Then add on the extra words that were in a sentence (as an example: "add on the extra the extra words that were in a sentence") and you can see where I am coming from. I tried hard to not let the errors spoil the book for me and think I won, but I removed 2** because of them).

But I digress.

If you were a big fan of On The Buses, buy the book and be whisked back in time to the early 70's when buses had conductors and be entertained by it. It was one of the better biographies of my favourite TV programmes and I am glad I purchased it and who knows, at some stage in the future I may read it again, to refresh my memory again. It was a good read and made me laugh several times.
on 15 June 2013
Quite surprised by the mixed reception this has received. Given that this is for a niche audience I thought it would favourably looked upon, and having read it I can say it is a hugely enjoyable read. Not overly detailed to the point of fanatical, this strikes a nice balance for the fanboy wants to learn more. The only pointless bits were the extracts of Reg's diaries which are dull to say the least! Worth a read though
on 12 September 2011
I started watching "On The Buses" in the early 70s - I'm not old enough to have seen the early black and white episodes, well not the first time round anyway. Reading this book brings back fond memories of the show which is one of my favourite sitcoms.

Tex Fisher has done a remarkable job compiling what will undoubtedly became the standard work on the show. He has in-depth biographies of the cast as well as a total episode guide with the exact dates of broadcast, which shows how much research he has done. How many so-called authoritative books have you seen where the author lazily lists only the year the show was aired? Fisher also has included features on the three spin-off films plus the little-known American version of the show "Lotsa Luck".

He has tracked down and interviewed nearly all the surviving members of the cast and crew apart from Stephen Lewis who apparently has become something of a recluse in his latter years. Still, there are enough stories about him from Fisher's interviewees to more than make up for this lacuna. Who would have thought that Reg Varney, the star of the show, was jealous of Lewis but he was and here Fisher explains why. You'll have to buy the book to find out the reason and the identity of the other cast member that Lewis clashed with.

The only thing I 'ate about this book is that I didn't write it!
on 18 September 2011
This is the ultimate companion.
Forget the first Book (By another author on this Subject) This is the one that will tell you everything you wanted to know about Britain's best love Sitcom.

It starts with the general premise of what become On the Buses, with interviews from the cast and crew and the writers themselves.
It then goes on to the making of the programme and how hard and difficult it really was to film.
This then goes on through the films and Cast Bios.

It's not just the the fact this goes into so much detail that makes it great, it's the fact the author has taken time to actually make this a book with care and attention to detail. It is so in death and features so much information that this is the book that should be included with a DVD box set, it will make every fan happy and simply a book which no On the Buses fan could do without.
on 17 November 2011
A great book well writen which gives you much information on the series and the stars of On The Buses, tells you in full all the ins and outs, well worth it,
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2013
A well written and informative look back at the best seventies sit com ever. This book tells why and how on the buses came about,then has a "what happened to the cast after they left".
Brilliant...definitely a must read for the fourty somethings out there.
on 17 January 2013
Great book.very informative. Highly recommended. Full of information that was surprising but also informative. I Will be reading the book again in the near future.
on 16 November 2011
this is a review for the kindle edition only

the kindle edition is terrible , words not spelt corectly.
sub chapters dropped halfway into the middle of words ,the index at the front is all over the place . words such as episode split epi-sode.

terrible , ive given up trying to read it
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2012
I completely agree with S Gibbon. The kindle edition is awful. The product review warns that there may be some errors but mainly on the contents page. This is wishful thinking. There are paragraphs completely split by other text not to mention the spelling errors. This is completely unacceptable when the price is almost £7. If amazon are selling kindle editions they need to make sure they are readable or else offer customers refunds.