on 10 July 2016
As with many books covering television productions of several decades ago, details can be lost in the mists of time unless authors are able to interview surviving production and cast members or their relatives. Fortunately the author in this case has been able to do precisely that so much of the book contains 'horses mouth' information. The book is also written in such a way that one feels one is actually there as opposed to merely looking back into the past. There are nevertheless some let-downs. Some information about the Eastern National Omnibus Co. is misleading or untrue (for example, Eastern National was based at Chelmsford, not Wood Green. They merely had a small depot at the latter) but the biggest horror is perhaps describing the London Transport RTL type bus as a 'Routemaster'. It is also disappointing to see that modern and extremely irritating term ' train station' being used (train stations are in the USA, Britain has railway [or rail] stations). These minus points aside, I understand the author is quite young and without wishing to sound patronising it must be said that he has done a splendid job overall and his enthusiasm is to be admired.
on 19 April 2013
I liked this book and it took me back 40 years to when I was a young(ish) lad. The only other TV programme that I can recall following with such passion in the early 70's was Z-Cars. Having parents who did not drive, meant we all had to use buses to get around and I can remember (especially when with mischievous school-friends) was deciding which of our local bus drivers was the nearest to Butler and cheering when we saw he was driving on our route. The book told me a lot that I didn't know about the programme and there was lots of input and quotes by the actors and actresses who starred in it. I would have preferred to have learned more about the making of the programme and did not need an episode by episode synopsis, which I found to be quite boring. But the main let down for the book was the huge number of grammatical errors - words with incorrect spellings (at one stage Rhyl in North Wales had the spelling Ryhl) and there were loads of times when words were split into two by a word space! Then add on the extra words that were in a sentence (as an example: "add on the extra the extra words that were in a sentence") and you can see where I am coming from. I tried hard to not let the errors spoil the book for me and think I won, but I removed 2** because of them).

But I digress.

If you were a big fan of On The Buses, buy the book and be whisked back in time to the early 70's when buses had conductors and be entertained by it. It was one of the better biographies of my favourite TV programmes and I am glad I purchased it and who knows, at some stage in the future I may read it again, to refresh my memory again. It was a good read and made me laugh several times.
on 15 June 2013
Quite surprised by the mixed reception this has received. Given that this is for a niche audience I thought it would favourably looked upon, and having read it I can say it is a hugely enjoyable read. Not overly detailed to the point of fanatical, this strikes a nice balance for the fanboy wants to learn more. The only pointless bits were the extracts of Reg's diaries which are dull to say the least! Worth a read though
on 17 November 2011
A great book well writen which gives you much information on the series and the stars of On The Buses, tells you in full all the ins and outs, well worth it,
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 June 2013
This is a very good book, well researched and tells you so much about the show you never knew and could only find from this book
on 19 January 2013
A well written and informative look back at the best seventies sit com ever. This book tells why and how on the buses came about,then has a "what happened to the cast after they left".
Brilliant...definitely a must read for the fourty somethings out there.
on 26 October 2015
Interesting to read the little known facts behind the original creation of both the music and the lyrics of the film theme song. Thanks to Tex Fisher - Geoff Unwin.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 February 2015
A must for On the Buses Fans. Plenty of behind the scenes info. A very enjoyable read, i even joined the Fan Club.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 November 2012
I am a huge on the buses fan and this book lives up to the series. The author has done a great job with everything you need to know about on the buses.
on 3 January 2012
I completely agree with S Gibbon. The kindle edition is awful. The product review warns that there may be some errors but mainly on the contents page. This is wishful thinking. There are paragraphs completely split by other text not to mention the spelling errors. This is completely unacceptable when the price is almost £7. If amazon are selling kindle editions they need to make sure they are readable or else offer customers refunds.