on 6 January 2017
Worked really well for the time that I owned it. Easy to just plug and play, however the software is easy to install and manage too! Removed a star for it being really ugly and plasticky. If I had to buy a USB sound card again I would probably go for a 5.1/7.1 one, or just an Sound Blaster Play 2.

EDIT: So I sold my first one that I had, in like 2013. And now for an upgrade I'd advise to get the FiiO K1.
on 11 March 2017
I bought this as i don't have a dedicated sound card in my PC. I play a lot of online games, and nobody could hear me over the fuzzy noise and static. This has been a fantastic addition; as it makes my mic quality crystal clear with the ability to swap this between my Desktop and my Laptop. Fantastic bit of kit for anyone who routinely uses VoIP applications, or for competitive gaming where clarity is key.
on 4 May 2017
Perfect for the money. I combine it with Bose Quietcomfort 25 and enjoy it immensely.
on 4 July 2017
Awsome
on 19 April 2017
best simple and powerful sound card I ever had
on 22 September 2014
I purchased this item to enable me to have an optical output on my Intel NUC D34010WYK as my HT Amp doesn't have HDMI input. This is a little bulky, but otherwise works perfectly. The packaging is nice and simple, and the device looks quite good. It comes with both a USB extension lead (i suspect to enable you to plug something in next to it due to it's size) as well as a 3.5mm to optical (SPDIF/TOSLink) adapter which turns the headphone/audio out into an optical out.

This device then sends all DTS and Dolby Digital sound out via the optical output to my Yamaha AMP for surround sound.

All in all very pleased, and solved the only issue i had with the NUC; the lack of optical output.
on 19 October 2011
Sitting here now with brilliant sound emerging from my Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speaker system for the first time ever with my Acer laptop.This excellent USB soundcard arrived here about 2 hours ago and within 5 minutes of easy driver installation it was up and running. It didnt take long to fine tune the sound to suit my speakers and headphones via the very clear menu systems.You really can fine tune things very well and then save the different settings for anythjing you plug into the dongle.
The difference is quite astonishing too, I now have a clear 3 dimensional soundstage in front of me, giving real depth.
I can discern no lack of clarity at all and that is at all frequencies.
If your laptop has poor sound I would thoroughly recommend the Asus as a solution.
on 15 August 2011
I needed a sound card after being very dissapointed with the onboard sound on my laptop. After much searching on the internet the Xonar U3 and the Creative surround 5.1 seemed viable options, but I couldn't dedide which one so I bought both of them to try out.

I spent several days testing both sound cards doing a side by side comparison and in my oppinion the Xonar U3 is way ahead of the Creative surround 5.1 in sound quality.

I mainly use headphones and the Xonar U3's built in amp really does boost the output and goes much louder than you could possibly need, much louder than the Creative one.

The software with the Xonar installs easily and performs very well. In contrast, the software for the Creative takes forever to install and only really provides basic adjustments.

I compared the sound quality of both cards in games and music and much prefered the sound of the Xonar over the Creative.
The music and sound effects with the Xonar just seemed more lively and vivid somehow and the Dolby settings are impressive.

Both cards did a good job when it came to positional audio in games.

One thing that surprised me was how small the Xonar was compared to the Creative and yet seemed to out perform it easily.

If you need a USB sound card then don't waste your money like I did and get both, just get the Xonar U3.
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2012
I had a Creative X-Fi for so long because they're so established and reputable, but it has been nothing but hassle when it actually worked. I got this (fraction of the cost of an internal X-Fi) and it just worked straight away and sounds much better. Sigh. Creative are hustlers. They even outright lie about compatability on the packaging, famously. Xonar are everything you wish Creative are.

I can't recommend this enough.
on 15 January 2012
Substantial improvement in sound quality from a Sony Vaio AW31S/B feeding Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Delivered 2 days after placing my order.
Would definately recommend Asus Xoneru3.
Even when played through headphones I can hear an improvement.
Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard