on 27 August 2017
Bought this router hoping it would make an improvement to the streaming experience on our Smart TV, also boost the wifi on other devices being a Dual Band router (by reducing interference). However, it made no noticeable difference compared to the router provided by my ISP, got a refund in the end.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 August 2014
excellent router! I will never buy DLink, Belkin or Netgear rubbish again!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 March 2013
I intially wanted the asus dsl-n55u due to the NAS feature, but bought the Billion 7800n based upon all the very good reviews and the fact its almost universally recommended for broadband at long distances from the exchange which i have. With snr tweaking the billion got me 4mbs which was great for my line. long story short... poor wifi, wifi disconnections and admin lockouts. back it went.

I thought id give the asus a go. It shipped with the latest firmware. i loaded it again anyway just to be sure (twice, with the hard reset as recommended) Set up was a breeze. Checked my connection.... Boom! 4mb with a default setup. no tweaks at all! The range of the wifi is fantastic, easily beating the billion. I will attempt tweaks at some point soon, but im more than happy at the moment.

I've connected a usb flashdrive to my router and set up the media server with a click of a button. now i can stream videos straight from my router to my TV, ipad and iphone. it's awesome.

The only downside to this router is the documentation if you want to go anything further than set up the ADSL or wifi. It's not great and there's no where near as many forums covering this as the billion, but for £30 less and with the usb ports, 5ghz wifi faster adsl i know which i'd rather have. It's been rock solid so far. I know the original firmware wasnt great, so ignore the original reviews, its sorted now with the latest firmware. 5 star product without doubt!
11 Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 November 2012
I have been searching for an ADSL modem router to replace my Orange Box for some time. Yes I'm one of those that relies on a phone line for my Broadband.
I wanted to be able to Ethernet connect (wired connection) a PC, a laptop, a Panasonic smart TV and wirelessly connect, an iPad 3, an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5, a network printer which also operates with Airprint and a notebook computer.

This appeared to fit the bill, dual band, 2.4 and 5 GHz, two USB sockets to connect the printer, and 4x Ethernet sockets.

How many times have I read on the box `it's so easy to set up your grandma could do it' and then find it becomes an ordeal that never ends.
I took it out of the box, connected the laptop, PC and TV then switched it on; the initial set up was done on my Ethernet connected laptop, where I also loaded the utilities off the CD. The PC and TV were switched off.

After a few minutes it asked me for my Orange login details, within seconds it was connected. Absolutely no hassle no tears and no torn out hair.
On the utilities set up page it shows that there are two available networks, 2.4GHz and 5GHz which are completely separate entities. Which one or both you choose depends on the type of devices you are connecting and how old the devices are.

You will need to give both networks a name, just type in the boxes what you want to call them. Secondly you will need to set up a password for each of the networks. Make sure you use a random string of characters, but you can make up what you want. The longer the password is the better the security. Then save.
Write down your passwords and details somewhere safe as you will need these to connect your wireless devices.

I switched on the Panasonic TV which like the Router has DNLA support and it was connected! I switched on the PC it was connected! My laptop was connected! No tears, no swearing and no throwing the box out of the window or calling expensive helplines!

Next I switched on my wireless devices, connecting the older laptop, notebook and iPhone 4S to the 2.4GHz network I set up as they are older devices and do not have the 5GHz facilities. I searched and found the networks, entered the password and they were all connected!

I located the 5GHz networks entered the password and connected my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 without a hitch!

Finally I connected the printer to the USB socket and there it was connected to the network. The printer is also Airprint and wireless compatible so I entered the password and.... It was also wifi connected!

All in less than an hour.

In conclusion, this was one of the easiest ADSL modem routers I have ever set up, actually the easiest. If you are not particularly computer savvy you may need a little help with the set up especially setting up the network names and passwords but it is really not that difficult if you go slowly and step by step. You will also need your login details that were given to you by your service provider. If you do not have them you will need to call them and ask for your username and password. Do this before you start, if you don't then expect to feel some irritation and delay for what is in fact your fault. You have been told!

However, the bottom line is does it work? Is it better than its predecessor the Orange Box? Well it is a huge improvement, it is fast, has great range, it is stable, it, it, it just works!
It also looks good and the wife and children are no longer complaining.
on 17 November 2013
Spent lot of time trying to get this working and then gave up. The ADSL light kept blinking indicating sync problem. My old ADSL modem works with no problem on the same line. The router software does not give any options to manually configure or check anything. It just stops at "phone line not connected". I also have ASUS RT N66U and the router software on it is very good with loads of configuration options. N55U does not have a WAN port which is another minus. Thanks Amazon for your hassle free returns policy. It was very easy to return this back
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2016
Unfortunately for me I never really got the best out of this router. The product came highly recommended by my network provider at the time, but in an unknown way I feel this allowed my network to be compromised.
The features are great but without how to instructions it was no good for me.
Definitely one for the computer savvy.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 November 2013
After 3 weeks I'm impressed. I upgraded the firmware as recommended by others. Simply pressed the button in the browser controls and waited 2 minutes.
MUCH better wireless signal than the Netgears.

I won't repeat what other positive reviews have said but will add:

Power consumption is 9 watts. I turned off the 5 GHz as none of my devices use it and it dropped to 8 watts. I turn the wifi off 11pm tp 7am and that drops the power consumption to 7 watts. I've read that for maximum speed leave routers on 24/7 otherwise your exchange sees the line dropping and lowers your speed in an attempt to stabilise your line.

This Asus has powerful parental controls. You can set times of day for any given device to allow internet connection.

My router history
My first router was the Netgear DG834 - Lasted 3 years before dropping.I replaced that with a Netgear DG2200 that lasted 18 months before constant drops. I replaced that with another Netgear DG2200 under the 2 year warranty of the previous - Replacement was also faulty and dropped continuously.
So I bought an Asus as it had a 3 year warranty after having enough of Netgear
review image review image
on 17 April 2014
Low powered, poor range, small non removable antennas, not the 5dbi pictured. Much too big for the features and power. Only plus point is it looks ok
on 21 January 2017
Not as i expected :(
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 October 2014
Really unimpressed with this. It's unable to reliably maintain our DSL connection, when my ~8 year old Netgear DG834G has no problems whatsoever.

Compounding this is its error behaviour if unable to sync: it intercepts all HTTP connections to redirect you to an error page, causing you to lose browser state (so for example, if you open your browser when the connection is down, or just hasn't come up yet, all your restored tabs will show the error page, and there will be no way to get them back). Destroying browser state in the event of a disrupted connection is totally unacceptable.

Compounding *this* is its error diagnosis - it's unable to distinguish between a failure to sync and an unplugged cable, and it reports the latter in all situations. A minor annoyance perhaps, but when you've just had all of your tabs replaced with obviously incorrect information, it kinda grates, y'know?

An extremely frustrating experience all round. Avoid.