Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2004
'Asterix and the Goths' is the third of 31 adventures published between 1961 and 2001; This adventure is from 1963. This is the first of many books where Asterix and Obelix travel to another country and make fun of the ideas we have about that nation. Getafix the Druid attends the Druid Conference at the Forest of the Carnutes. A raiding party of Goths is watching the Conference (like Druid 'Oscars') to kidnap a Druid to help their cause. Asterix and Obelix must follow the Goths to set things right. Like all Asterix adventures this story works, on slightly different levels, for both children and adults. This is a comedy of confusion. The Romans have confused the Gauls with the Goth's. The Gothic chieftans are plotting against each other. The Gauls are playing on the suspicion of all the leaders, playing groups off against each other. The drawings are polished, compared to the crude colouring in the original 1974 UK edition. The new edition wonderfully re-inks and re-colours the story. The drawings are sharp and the colours are bright. An enjoyable and interesting story.
on 24 January 2014
These books just take me back to my childhood, And now at 55 there like a breath of fresh air I for one recommend them, If you Know Asterix from your childhood or are new to the asterix stories I suggest you get these and enjoy, I already have the next 2 new one's pre orderd
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2008
This is easily one of the best Asterix stories.

It begins with Getafix competing against his peers at the druids contest, and winning. Then we are introduced to the Goths, a warrior race bent on conquest but somewhat lacking in brains. Having spied on the druids contest, they kidnap Getafix for his magic potion.

Things don't turn out as planned for the Goths, as Asterix, Obelix and Getafix manipulate the different Gothic tribes to turn on each other. First, with the magic potion, and then without it. The Goths are too dense and busy fighting each other to notice the effects wearing off!

This leads to mayhem in Germania that lasts for years, keeping them out of Gaul. A brilliant story.
on 19 February 2015
One of the best original Asterix books. The re-colouring makes it look and feel like a new addition to the collection. I'm slowly re-buying the whole series (NOT the appalling 'The falling sky!) as I lost my originals in a house move some years ago.
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2012
This is the third Asterix adventure. It starts with Getafix getting ready to leave the village for the annual druid conference (which is what he was getting ready for in the previous book Asterix and the Golden Sickle, although both are still stand-alone). Unfortunately Getafix ends up getting kidnapped by the Goths who need a druid to help them invade the Roman-invaded France. It is down to Asterix and Obelix to rescue him.

A great story with the Goths talking in Gothic text, and lots of humour too what with all the running battles going on and such. The village feast scene returns at the end too. A classic Asterix tale.
on 20 November 2001
This is THE best in Asterix comics. After Getafix gave the magic potion to some Goths the story briefly outline the history of clash between all goths.
It was So funny and sometimes I used to think that it was a satirical attack on the modern wars.
It is a must for Asterix lovers
on 22 June 2010
My son really enjoys these books, brings back memories from when I used to read Asterix about 30 years (or more) ago!
on 9 May 2016
bought as a gift for my partner he loves it. Thanks ! Great speedy delivery and book in perfect condition.
on 3 May 2015
Bought these for my little lad, shame he cant read them yet, thats my excuse anyway.
on 2 June 2015