on 13 May 2016
Having done the IHCD course and now out on the road working for an NHS Trust I was looking for a book to bring it all together. I like the way it is organised into systems assessments and specific patient groups like child, older people and obstetrics. I like the DRABCDE format for each section - the trauma section does modify it in line with current practice to DRCAcBCDE - that works for me as I can remember the key points in an organised way. The downside to that is that it does make the book seem repetitive if you are reading more than one chapter at a time. More pictures/ diagrams would be welcome. At an early stage in my career I think this is a good book to start out with. This book and my JRCALC pocket book goes into my work bag every shift.
on 31 March 2014
Overall I was highly impressed with this book, it has a clear and understandable layout that allows the reader time to digest information, compared to some medical books that are full words, words and more fancy words this book is a realistic approach and uses short sentences which would be excellent for any newbie medic. In my opinion this book is not just brilliant for paramedics but excellent for many other medical roles, nurses, doctors, emergency medical technician, emergency care assistants and event medics. This book does interlink with other categories, for example if they are talking about a trauma patient, they will relate back to the musculoskeletal system chapter. I simply did not give this book high marks as I felt it lacked the amount of information about vital signs, blood pressure/ pulse oximeter/ blood sugars/ pulse I mainly got this book as I was hoping it discussed in more detail about the vital signs. However, I great book for all medical practitioners.
on 19 August 2013
An excellent book that helps any student or qualified paramedic improve assessment skills and pass those all-important OSCEs!

With reference to JRCALC and NICE guidelines for best practice, it provides a good framework for assessment in easy to understand, a great help especially when it comes to report-writing.

A must-have for any student paramedic
on 20 November 2016
Really good book for keeping up to date with patient assessment methods
on 1 March 2014
This is a perfect tool for those starting out as Technicians and Student Para's. Product itself is set in an easy to understand and follow system and compliments JRCALC.

The quality of the product itself is good, will certainly stand up to being taken on the road with you.

Would certainly recommend.
on 3 September 2014
very helpful in the pre-hospital setting. Good reference book
on 24 February 2012
even though I'm already qualified, I bought this book as a bit of an assessment reminder on some of the aspects not used everyday. this is an excellent textbook and I would recommend into students and qualified medics.
on 24 August 2017
Very good book for assessment skills especially useful for case study work
on 7 December 2016
Great book. Well formatted.
on 6 December 2012
My partner is a paramedic and he has used this for his OSCE practice. He found it very useful and definately worth the money.