Ashes of Midnight is book 6 in the Midnight Breed series & I strongly recommend that you read the series in order starting at Kiss of Midnight. While this review won't have any spoilers for Ashes of Midnight there may be things that could spoil previous books in the series so I'd recommend you don't read any further unless you are up to date with the series.

Most of the action in this book takes place in Berlin, Germany. In Veil of Midnight we saw Andreas Richen's entire family slaughtered under the orders of Andreas' arch-enemy Wilhelm Roth. A devestated Andreas is now determined to avenge their deaths no matter what it costs him. His search for Wilhelm takes him to Claire Roth - Wilhelm's breedmate and the only woman Andreas has ever loved. Andreas is unsure if Claire is aware of her breedmates's part in the slaughter of his family but he needs to use her bloodbond to find Wilhelm.

I wasn't too sure how this would work considering Claire was already mated to another Breed member but it was well written & the feelings between Andreas & Claire were believable. I enjoyed seeing the other Warriors & their Breedmates again and there was a fantastic amount of action in this installment of the series. Andreas' unique ability (passed to him by his mother) added an interesting dimension to the story. If you're a fan of the Midnight Breed series then I'm sure you'll love this book. If you are new to the series then I highly recommend it but you really do need to start at the beginning of the series.
on 6 September 2010
The problem with this series and others like it is that they all kind of run together, especially if you read them from the beginning and have to wait for each new release in the series. There were times when reading Ashes that it mirrored Ward's "Blackdagger" series so much that I actually had to stop and keep reminding myself that this was not a part of that story. I'm not saying the name's and circumstances are the same, I'm talking about the whole "Order", the headquarters, the fact that the key players all live under the same roof with their wife's/husbands, the breedmate marks and so forth.

I guess all of us feel that way at some point. I know sometimes I think "Goodness I just read too much" because it really is difficult sometimes to separate series, and to remember them clearly when the next in line is released. The Vamp/Otherworldly series are the toughest for me because they all mirror each other in a lot of ways.

Overall the story was action packed, it read easy; the writing was superb, the romance/chemistry between Claire and Andreas was obvious and the openings for future books was clear and entertaining...but I just don't think the story is entertaining enough to remember
on 21 August 2013
Up until now the German Darkhaven leader, Andreas Reichen has been a helpful aid to the Order, but something of a mystery. Other than his love of luxury, information finding skills and interesting 'relationship' (i.e. having lots of sex) with a certain Brothel owner we haven't really discovered much about him.

After the attack on his Darkhaven at the end of Veil of Midnight (instigated by Wilhelm Roth and Dragos) it's safe to say Reichen is on one hell of a vengeance kick! In his hunt for Roth, Reichen meets his former lover (and love of his life) Claire who is now mated to the evil Roth - talk about a stinger!

On the surface Claire has a perfect life, in reality she's bound to an uncaring and as it turns out deceitful Breed Male. Reichen and Claire have suffered as a result of numerous misunderstandings and manipulations.

I really enjoyed their story, which was a surprise because I honestly wasn't expecting to. I had my doubts as to how Reichen could go from a Brothel loving player to a loving mated guy, but I hadn't considered what had made him that way. I do enjoy a good 'one that got away story'. Also Reichen's power is pretty badass and he really helps to save the day with the Order warriors back in Boston.

My fav non-spoilery quotes:

*She should be his. This kiss told him she was his, still, even if Breed law and the blood bond she'd given to another male forbade it. She would always be his...

*"How many months of freezing your nuts off before all those moose start looking like prime pieces of ass?"

*"Nothing says I love you like custom-made rounds."
on 13 May 2012
Book 6 of The Midnight Breed series. Andreas is the leader of a Darkhaven in Germany. A Breedmale that has already been introduced in previous books. A horrifically violent incident unleashes his carefully controlled "gift", making him dangerous to himself and others. Claire is the Breedmate that he loved but abandoned for her own safety. She consequently married the enemy of Andreas.

Andreas is seeking revenge for the horrors that he has experienced, despite the personal risk it places him under. Claire wants to steer him away from the dangerous path that he has chosen.

The Order is still trying to track down The Ancient One. They are becoming increasingly worried as they are beginning to find out more about the atrocities committed by The Ancient One and his grandson. They need to track down this evil before mankind, as well as Breed, are threatened even more than they already are.

Lara Adrian obviously immerses herself in her work whilst she is writing ~ I was amused by a line whereby, instead of calling Danika by her name, she calls her "the tall blond female" as The Breed would have done.

There is a scene where Andreas is praying in the compound's chapel, Claire goes to him and they have sex. This is the second time that the author has had her characters make love in a Holy Place, which makes me wonder if she is trying to make a point of some sort.

I thought that this book seemed longer than the other books so far, slower paced. I enjoyed it nonetheless. Tegan, my favourite Warrior so far also pops up quite a bit in this story, along with other now familiar characters.
on 30 August 2013
Although I am enjoying this series, I found this particular story to be my least favourite so far. It was good that the plot involved more of the characters we have come across so far in the series, and I was glad that the female characters have been promoted to a more active role. However, it felt like Adrian struggled to combine the developing relationship between Andreas and Clare with the need to move on the whole world-domination plot that has been simmering throughout the series so far. The sex between the two central characters appeared to be used to prop up a slightly stale plot, which is a shame. However, it won't stop me reading the next one in the hope that things improve.
on 9 March 2015
Yet another good book in this series. I love the characters and the storyline is gripping. I haven't been disappointed with any of the books in this series so far. I will definitely put it in my favourites and enjoy reading it again.
on 29 August 2013
Ashes of Midnight is the sixth in Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series and as is expected continues on from the devastating events in the previous book. Therefore any newcomers to the series should not start here else you'll be floundering.

Andreas Reichen has been a constant character ever since Tegan and Elise's book and has been of a great help to the Order. However, his own world came to an abrupt end at the close of the last book and has been on a mission of vengeance at the opening of this book.

His personal vendetta means that his path crosses with Claire Roth, his old flame if you'll pardon the expression. Claire hasn't seen Andreas in thirty years ever since he left rather abruptly and she is now the estranged but still very much blood bonded mate of Wilhelm Roth, Andreas' enemy.

This is the first time in the series where the two protagonists not only knew each other but also had a relationship so this story is more a re-kindling of their relationship with the added complexity that she is now mated and his inherited ability looks set to burn them both.

Given that we've witnessed what was done to him, Andreas is easy to understand because his motives are plain. Claire is also easy to like because her mate is clearly a bad guy in every sense of the word and despite not having seen Andreas in three decades, it's clear she still cares for him deeply.

The other advantage Claire has is that by already being a breed mate, she's obviously no stranger to the world of the breed and so the whole fraught introduction to the vampire world is instantly avoided.

Even though Andreas is not strictly part of the Order, they are not left out due to Wilhelm and his sire's nefarious activities. In fact everyone has page time to a lesser or greater extent, even Mira, the young girl from Niko and Renata's book.

This is another blistering entry in the series and if I only had one thing slight annoyance it's the fact that the ultimate top bad guy always seems to have a way out. Although, given events towards the end of this book, his plans may come to a crashing end fairly soon.

To those that have already read this book, I would apologies for the puns but they were completely intentional.
on 24 April 2012
In this book we see the relationship develope between Andreas Reichen and Claire Roth.We have already met these two before and know somethings about their lives already,they were once lovers.They both have special gifts although Andreas dosn't become apparent until his brethren are murdered.
The difference with this story is that Andreas isn't a breed warrior although he does help them out from time to time.This is quite a fast paced,exciting and one of the better episodes in the 'Midnight Breed' series.I enoyed it so much that i give it 5*.
on 4 April 2010
This is another excellent addition to the midnight breed series, telling the story of Andreas...fantastic start to finish totally compelling story that will make you read again and again.
When JR Ward launched BDB series and then Lara Adrian launched hers, I did think that LA was a bit of a copycat, but her books were easier to read without having to get into the whole 'world' that the BDB is, and so I went on reading her. Her books have gotten better and better, with tales and characters that seem believable and that you can empathise with so much more than the somewhat-freakish BDB males. This book was one that I'd been waiting for for a while, and it was all I could have expected: lovers forced apart who find themselves again, passionate and plentiful sex scenes, likeable characters who admit their feelings early on (their feelings had never died despite them being apart for some 20yrs), and a loving tale with a HEA. For me, LA has now surpassed JRW in her books, her characters and her respect for her readers. Also, she's remained in paperback, which makes her more in touch with her readers, and more affordable too. I've already preordered Shades Of Midnight, which with Amazon Prime should be with me by the first week of Jan 2010!!!!!