on 24 August 2017
Bought this for my kids aged 8 and 11. They often listen to audio books before bedtime as they go to sleep but the problem with this CD is that suddenly there are loud trumpet fanfares which startles them. They listened to it once and weren't keen to listen during the day again either.
on 3 June 2004
My son is 8 years old and we listen to audio CDs on our way to school because it takes us 45 mins to 1 hour to arrive. I bought this CD because I believed that he might learn something and I must say that he enjoys it so much that we have listened to it at least three times in a row! My compliments to Sean Bean as he does an incredible job to change the voices of the characters. I will certainly buy more books that are read by him. Arthur comes alive along with all of the other characters because of the great storyline and reading! My compliments also to Benedict Flynn for putting together a story of King Arthur that is thoroughly enthralling!
on 1 October 2017
Good
on 4 February 2008
Loved it, as do my 4yr old and 6 yr old. listened to it on the way to school and like the other reviewer had to stop myself carrying on once I had dropped off the children. So good to hear one of the classics as well, reminds me of my childhood!!
on 15 August 2008
I bought this for my five year old son to listen to for our holiday in France. The idea was to entertain whilst driving - it was fantastic - both me and my husband loved it just as much as our son. Sean Bean has a wonderful voice - a great story teller. It had us all in tears - magical! If you are thinking of buying this - go for it - you wont be disappointed!
on 21 May 2006
You will want to listen to it again and again. I am in my twenties and listened to it on the long drive to work. Suitable for all ages!
on 2 October 2008
My 7 year old son loves audio books and we have lots! He likes King Arthur tales but they can often be quite difficult to read and understand. However this is read brilliantly and we have both been gripped. Admittedly I have quite often had to pause it and explain parts but it is read in chapters which gives you convenient places to recap. We have listened travelling to and from school and for 3 nights we sat in the car on the drive listening to see what happens. This is a great next step if they are getting a little to old for 'Stories for 5/6/7 year olds" audio books. It really is great. Buy it!
on 28 July 2016
Absolutely super. Brilliant text - so evocative - read superbly by Sean Bean. We listened to this in the car and were totally gripped. May be a bit difficult for very young children - suitable for age 8 upwards but adults will love it too. Completely captures the eerie, other-world atmosphere of the Arthurian myths. You can hear the influence of other tellings eg Tennyson, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, etc.
on 19 February 2009
I bought this for my five (nearly six) year old son although, as other reviewers have noted, the story and its telling is as enjoyable for an adult. Sean Bean does a great job of the reading (and various voices) but I also thought Benedict Flynn's retelling of the stories has been very well done. Perhaps I am imagining it but he seems to have captured some of the poetry of the Middle English romances...in any event it has been a real pleasure to listen to.
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2007
If you are interested in this CD enough to read the reviews then take it from me, you are safe to go ahead and buy it. I got this CD for Christmas and it really delivered on every front.

The adaptation itself is brilliant. It covers most of the main events in the classic Arthur legends and gets through them at a cracking pace without ever compromising the epic nature of the stories. The classical music works very well and compliments the production nicely.

Sean Bean gives a first class reading. I've never been a big fan of his 'grim northener' srceen persona but here he uses his distinctive voice to great effect. Children who know him from the Lord of the Rings movies will find a lot to enjoy here,

The CD does not skip over some of the sexual elements and complicated relationships from the legends but manages to convey the events in a way that should be appropriate for most families who want to listen to this together on a car journey or something similair.

I can't give this CD enough praise. I listened to 25 - 30 audio books last year and this one really stood out as a wonderful production. When I finished I listened to the whole thing over again. It also sparked my interest in the Authorian legend and led me on to further reading, I can think of no higher recommendation then that.