VINE VOICEon 28 April 2015
In this first sequel Artemis Fowl discovers that his missing father is in fact still alive and is being held hostage by the Russian Mafiya in remote part of the Siberian coast. Before Arty can set his rescue plan in motion both he and Butler are whisked away to the Lower Elements for interrogation. Trouble is brewing with the Goblin population and initial suspicions point towards Arty. When he clears the lie detection he strikes a tenuous deal with the LEP-Recon to get to the bottom of the conspiracy in return for help rescuing his father.

Much of the novel is set in freezing cold north pole territory and the graphic novel adaptation captures the atmosphere perfectly. It moves along very quickly, cutting between Russia and the Lower Elements, and developing both plots simultaneously. It's still early days so Arty's sort-of romance with Holly isn't quite apparent yet, but their animosity is gradually turning to friendship. The paneling and artwork is perfect, and the humor and warmth between the characters translates flawlessly to this graphic incarnation.

A must-buy for Artemis Fowl fans.
One person found this helpful
on 2 August 2012
Like most people, I'd heard of Artemis Fowl, of course. It's one of those few YA series that can be mentioned in the same sentence as Harry Potter. Unfortunately the sentence usually runs along the lines: "Artemis Fowl, unlike the more successful Harry Potter books..."

And this is a shame. In the post-Potter YA boom, Colfer's books were sort of put in the shade, and assumed to be imitators by dint of the young lead character's odd name, and the presence of magic.

This first Fowl book is far from Hogwarts though. Rather than twinkly twee magical adventures with heroic well-scrubbed good boys and girls, Artemis Fowl is a YA SF thriller with technologically advanced fairies. Fowl himself is a ruthless antihero, a scheming evil boy genius, and the fact he loves his Mummy is really neither nor there.

Artemis Fowl is a teenage master criminal trying to restore his family fortune by extorting gold from the fairies. He has little compunction about kidnapping, violence and drugging members of his own family, as well as his servants and friends. He is a fantastically amoral creation.

The secondary characters are also well drawn, from Butler, a surrogate father figure, best friend and bodyguard to Artemis, to kidnapped leprechaun Captain Holly Short.

A great book that challenges the theory that crime doesn't pay, I look forward to reading the further adventures of Artemis Fowl... but not straight away. I felt this was a totally adequate standalone novel in its own right, and don't feel particularly gripped to read the next installment.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2011
This is another 'teenage' book that I have read. The characters and the storyline certainly is completely readable for adults - in fact you don't feel like you are reading a teenage book. The writing really isn't any different - it just doesn't have 'adult' content.

Artemis and Holly are brilliant characters. Artemis is a genius and has a plan for everything. I found myself liking Foaly (stupid name but great character) and his little cracks against authority and the LEP. Lots of little twista and turns through the book.

I saw a review somewhere that likened it to 'Die Hard with faires' - read it and you'll see that fairies aren't all we've been led to believe.
on 15 April 2014
This book was hard to put down because I always wanted to know what was on the next page. I didn't really expect to like a book about a criminal child mastermind as I thought it would be geared for children but no, like the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling, this one appeals to all ages. So much so that after finishing it, I was straight back onto the Amazon site to order the next in the Artemis Fowl series. I might even be tempted to learn how to pronounce "Eoin".
on 17 May 2013
I'd not come across this series before but I enjoyed Harry Potter so thought I'd give it a go. It's a very strange world and one in which I felt a bit lost. I believe this is the first book, but I felt like I'd missed out on the back story, so maybe it isn't. I found it pacy and well written even though the main character is a real pain and not someone you could get to like (unlike Harry Potter). However, I would like to read more. It took a lot of concentration - or maybe I'm just not the right age group if it's aimed at teenagers (a very dim memory for me).
on 23 August 2010
My 11 year old son loves these graphic novels. This is the second Artemis Fowl graphic novel he's had, and he seized it with glee when he unwrapped it (it was a birthday present). The illustrations are sumptuous, with great colours and thick glossy pages. The whole book has a quality feel to it and the stories really come to life. The graphic novel format is terrific for these action adventures, and in no way should it be dismissed as a comic book. If you want your children to watch less TV, but can't get them to read a book, then try this. The novelty might just lure them to reach for that off switch. I can't think of a better stocking filler for Christmas.
on 12 June 2004
I could not stop laughing at Artemis Fowl. When I first heard about the series I somehow expected the criminal mastermind to be a ragged young boy with a pal named Butler as his sidekick.
What I got though was a rich, Irish criminal Mastermind with few morals and Butler was huge. Hilarious to the extreme, I truly loved the story of Artemis trying to part the fairies with their gold and actually succeeding! Their were moments when I thought he wouldn't make it, because the banter in the book and the descriptions kept me on the edge of my seat.
I think the funniest parts of the book were the banter between Foaly and Commander Root. And I'll never forget Trouble's little brother's comments. I'm still gigling thinking about it. Mummy!
on 14 January 2018
This is a good novel for young readers with plenty of exciting action. It's not as well written or plotted as the Harry Potter books, but fun to read.
on 27 December 2014
This is a brilliant book for children (about 9-12 years old who are good readers), however the cover is dreadful. It makes the book seem scary, but in truth it's not at all scary - it's about a little boy hanging around with the fairies underground. The boy wants to be a supervillain, but always ends up a hero. Not remotely scary. The original cover was more appropriate, gold with fairy writing on it.
on 19 August 2013
I am a big fan of this series now and the third installment keeps up the excellent standard of the others. While I would say that the first book is truly outstanding on its own and neither this nor the second installment are absolutly as good at jumping off the page and grabbing your interest it is still an excellent book. I think eternity code is a turning point in the character development for the series and I must say it has left me excited to read the next book.
One person found this helpful