The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu: The Secrets of Kung Fu for self-defence, health and enlightenment Paperback – 2 Aug 2001
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The definitive introduction to kung fu from a fourth generation Grandmaster
The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu is the ultimate guide to Kung Fu, from theory to practical application.
This unique book, by a celebrated Grandmaster, is a complete and comprehensive introduction to Kung Fu and all other aspects of ancient Shaolin wisdom. You will learn the ancient art of the Shaolin monks from the famous Shaolin monastery. it will prove invaluable to everyone interested in martial arts, chi kung, and meditation, showing how Kung Fu and other Shaolin arts can bring you health, vitality, mental focus, and spiritual joy.
- What is Kung Fu?—Four Aspects of Kung Fu; The importance of Force Training; Application for Combat and Daily living; Kung Fu Philosophy for Deeper understanding; The benefits of Kung Fu
- The Historical Development of Chinese Martial Arts—Kung Fu in Prehistoric and Ancient Times; The Glorious Han and Tang; The Modern Period
- From Shaolin to Taijiquan—Shaolin Kung Fu; The Various Styles of Taijiquan; Soft and Hard, internal and External
- A Comparative Study of Kung Fu—Contrasting Shaolin and Wudang Kung Fu; Xingyi Kung Fu and Taoist Concepts; Tanglangquan or Praying Mantis Kung Fu; The Spread of Southern Kung Fu
- Defining Aims and Objectives—Setting Aims for Kung Fu Training; Personal Objectives; Course Objectives
- The Foundation of Shaolin Kung Fu—inheritance from Past Masters; Various Shaolin Hand Forms; basic Shaolin Patterns
- From Form to Combat Application—The Four Directions of Attack; The Principles of Effective Combat; Specific Techniques Against Kicks
- Combat Sequences and Set Practice—Relieving injuries Sustained in Sparring; Composing Your Own Kung Fu Sets
- Shaolin Five Animals—understanding Characteristics and Essence; The Five-Animal Set; The Names of the Five-Animal Patterns
- Five-Animal Combination Set—How to improve Combat Efficiency; Spacing and Timing in Combat
- The internal Force of Shaolin Kung Fu—The Relationship between Technique and Force; The Compassionate Art of Qin-Na; The internal Force of Tiger Claw
- Tactics and Strategies—using Continuous Attack Effectively; A Tactic to Distract Your Opponent; Selecting Strategies to Suit Particular Situations
- Classical Kung Fu Weapons—Staffs; Whips, Knives and Other Weapons; light and Heavy Weapons
- understanding and Developing Chi—The Various Genres of Chi Kung; Lohan Embracing buddha; Abdominal breathing
- Shaolin Kung Fu and Zen—Culitvating Heart, Nourishing Nature; bodhidharma and Taoism in Zen
- The Shaolin Way to Enlightenment—Attaining a Focused Mind; Meditation to Train Awareness; Shaolin Kung Fu for Spiritual Development
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is clearly layed out and is an easy read.
There are plenty of excerises to keep you busy, and the simplified 5 Animals form that he has described is both practical and relatively easy to learn.
For the beginner I don't think there is a better introduction available.
All in all in comparison to other similar publications this stands head and shoulders above the rest.
Those who are interested in learning a self-defence that does not concentrate purely on the physical and ‘external’ attributes but also on the mind, then Kung Fu along with this very book is the one for you. Kiew Kat elaborates the importance of attaining spiritual development from Chi techniques emphasising ‘Internal Force’ stressing that this is more important than knowing the sequence of moves.
For the student, Kiew Kat demonstrates how to continual improve self-development in Kung Fu and how to achieve skills quickly and effectively through objectives and aims also underlying the difference between the two. The book guides you through the many forms of Shaolin ‘hand’ shapes and stances that provide the foundations of Kung Fu. Combat sequences and combination sets along with vital illustrations create a more overall comprehensive guide into the physical self-defence and attack form. There is also a small section at the end on the various type of weapons used throughout the history of Kung Fu.
The content of the book has much more value than the cost, but to be an excellent book it lacks grammatically. The author spends far too much time using Chinese references that I could not help thinking were irrelevant to the content and made difficult reading.
The book is full of abundant wisdom that would be useful even for the non Kung-Fu practitioner.Read more ›
Thought, effort, and time has gone into this book unlike most of the other martail art books around which just use big names like Bruce Lee to raise profits. This is truly a book worth buying as it is written by some one who cares and respects the art rather than some one just trying to make a good profit.
The book explains thoroughly through differnt kung fu forms from Chen Style Tai Chi to Tanglangquan (praying mantis kung fu)
It explains how to get the most out of your traing, how to improve or biuld up you skills and even the use of weapons.
This book is the mother of all books and covers almost every thing from stretching, aims and objectives,tactics and strategies to the more important spiritual enlightenment.
A must buy.
studing the forms and exercises.Then enrolling in a class really
helped me to understand kung fu an slowly master it!
Only drawback? Some exercise equpment is tough to gather for use eg. Big bowl of of hard beans, big milk like container with water/sand, punch bag with ball bearings in (not a standard factory variety you'll notice.) A nice read, useful and written for the love of the art. A damn sight cheaper here than anywhere else you can buy it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great, I've had this book be for and it is an amazing read, aswell as a lowing you to practice a few moves, well worth a buy, dispatch was fast and I received it the day after.Published 15 months ago by dan
This was a fantastic book for beginners it gives you insight and moves you can practice in the comfort of your own home. great bookPublished on 19 May 2014 by sarah irons
Thank you to Sifu Wong Kiew Kit - This is for anyone and everyone who has learned and benefitted from Sifu's teaching. Read morePublished on 5 Jun. 2013 by Barry C. Smale
Excellent book in every way very good and interesring history also good instruction well written does what it says excellent readPublished on 13 Mar. 2013 by David Woodforth