Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2010
This is a gorgeous little book. it complements very well the authors previous release, 'beyond the square - crochet motifs' (but doesn't yet seem to be available with the cool spiral-bound spine, unfortunately). Incorperating the same beautiful colour choices and varied designs, this book functions just as well and might even be more useful, since less books exist that focus just on borderwork.

The designs here are hugely varied and inventive, ranging from simple and delicate, to beautifully elaborate and unusual. I think even competent crochetters would look at some of these designs and say 'I could never do ANYTHING like that!' and then be delighted to find that they could. There is a good scope of complexity here, so the collection isn't daunting but rather I think will encourage people to try new designs and techniques, as they are so artfully used here.

The author also includes a lot of useful information and advice specific to applying crochet borderwork to all kinds of projects - including knitting, fabric and felt. There is quite detailed info here about all the relevant aspects of crochet design and it's presented in a really accessible way. Lots of good basics for beginners, and everything you practically need to know to best apply the patterns the book offers.

I've also found this authors pattern transcription to be on the whole, very accurate - often crochet instruction can easily become ambiguous, confusing or just plain wrong. NOT the case here at all, I find her designs to be very clear and methodical and any room for error is usually backed up by extra notes or explainations specific to that design.
The terminology used here is american, but the book gives clear explaination of how a person working from a british crochet background should best translate it - and it really is not complicated at all.

I think this book could easily inspire many a project, just to put one of these beautiful borders on it - it's also really interesting to me to consider a project designed around a paticularly attractive border pattern, rather than bordering something almost as an afterthought.
These designs will provide a wonderful finishing touch to a project - but you may also want to simply cover a cushion or scarf or garment with rows and ruffles of borders after reading this book!
I agree with the above review. I just love this book beautiful patterns and easy to follow instructions. And easy for uk crocheters too. I shall use it again and again and I love the flower borders too! It is easy to follow and has charts as well as the written instructions and though it is a small book it is packed with useful information. I love edie eckman books too. They are always easy to follow with lovely designs.
on 14 July 2010
Totally love this book. Loads of patterns for edges and corners. A lot more than I expected and with some unusual patterns too.
on 10 September 2012
This is a lovely book and I had high hopes of improving my crochet edgings with it - it is beautfully presented and the edgings look lovely - but it is all charted patterns so those of you (and I am one) who struggle with charts this will be a disappointment. However I will master them eventually and hope to get to grips with some of the lovely ideas in the book.
on 17 May 2011
Another excellent little book full of ideas and information. Although you need to remember the American stitch names are not the same as English. Lovely clear photographs of all the stitches and loads of ideas for borders both straight and around corners. Easy graphs and written instructions to follow and very well explained. A good book for anyones crochet library.
on 12 January 2011
What a lovely book, I have been crocheting for 40 years, but this book is really special. Written so even a novice can understand, the explanations next to illustrations are superb. I wish I had had it years ago!
on 28 December 2014
What a great book. I'm a relative newbie to crochet and I found I could easily follow the patterns. It's worth buying just for the advice on getting the foundation row correct round the crochet piece and the maths for working out the fit of a border, but there's also advice for knitted pieces and fabric and felt.

I always struggle with borders, which can really make a project sing when you get the right one. This book is very inspiring and many of the patterns are simple, but very effective. I found the instructions clear and concise.

I'm so pleased I bought this :-) I think my border angst is over.

Nb The book does use US crochet terms, but it's easy to get a 'translation' and there is an explanation in the book of US to UK. Most stitches beyond the norm are explained within the relevant pattern, which I found very helpful.
on 18 January 2011
An excellent and informative book for all crocheters, beautifully illustrated with easy to follow instructions, in fact the best I have found. A huge selection of patterns for all crochet projects, this is a must have book.
on 17 April 2011
Oh yes, love this book too.

I am particularly chuffed that she gives the formulas (plus examples for anyone like me who is atrocious at math), on how to work out how many stitches will be needed to make the boarders and, crucially, to keep the pattern repeat around the corner of, say, a blanket. This is invaluable information, I have just finished a double bed blanket, which I edged and I forced the edging I used to fit around the corners, which entailed a fair big of ripping out and starting again, so yes, very pleased to have a formula for working this out next time.

And yes the edging designs in here are lovely - not all appeal, but the vast majority do. It is a book I like to just flick through and look at the beautiful photos, as well as actually use.

I would really recommend this book.
on 14 August 2011
Firstly - for information - this book is American and therefore has US terminology.

4 stars because I find it hard to convert to English terminology, being relatively new to crochet (must learn to read charts!) - and because it would be so much more user-friendly if it was ring-bound. Books get damaged so easily when you have to flatten the spine.

I thought this book was worth the money for the introductory pages alone!
The first chapter, with tips on how to get your border even and excellent clear photographs of how to stitch and where to stitch (using a contrasting colour for the row being worked) are the best I have seen. You are shown how to work into crochet and knitting working horizontal and vertical edges - all clearly photographed close up.You are given the formula for calculating the number of stitches you will need. There is a lot about corners - obviously as that is what this book is for! - and you are shown clear photos of ways to end rounds - with various joins. Troubleshooting flatness issues has a section. Also changing colour and putting a crochet border onto fabric.
At the back there is: Crochet punctuation, Symbols, Glossary & Abbreviations, Index, Stitch Key.

The actual borders seem a bit garish with their clashing colours on first look, but of course (again), contrasting colours for each row show exactly what you are aiming for!

Each border has a photograph, clear written instructions, 2 charts - one for going round a corner, and one for a straight border - (and on the charts one pattern repeat is highlighted, which I am sure would be very useful for those who read patterns!), and there are explanations, tips and hints on nearly every page. It is worth reading all of these even if you aren't wanting to crochet that particular border.

This book is just what I needed as I have been knitting squares to make cushions, and I have now successfully crocheted a border on one of them and am very pleased with the result.