Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£10.99|
Save £4.35 (40%)
Armed Struggle: The History of the IRA Kindle Edition
|Length: 544 pages|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book takes you right through the IRA's history, from the early 20th right up to the early 21st century. The author, Richard English, is probably the world's foremost authority on the subject.
If you are looking for a book that will endlessly glorify or demonise the IRA, this is not for you. The author leaves the job of forming opinions on morality up to you whilst he dispenses facts in great storytelling rhetoric. I have seen lectures given by the author; on a personal level he is deeply opposed to the IRA, but you would not be able to tell that from this book. He remains a historian and spares you his opinion.
I had a fair knowledge of the IRA before reading this and I imagine someone completely unfamiliar with Northern Ireland's history might be a bit overwhelmed with the detail that the book goes into. Similarly, if you're only interested in "The Troubles" rather than all the history behind it you would do well to skip ahead a few chapters.
The author has sought out and interviewed many IRA members, giving him a knowledge of how the IRA was 'on the ground' that a lot of high level political books like this miss out. If you are from Ireland / Northern Ireland, this book will teach you a lot about the history that created the circumstance our country is currently in.
The strength of this thesis is the fine, balanced approach which the author assumes throughout. It is neither a study blurred by romantic idealism or outright, irrational condemnation.
This is not necessarily a chronological narrative - although it does cover a vast array of historical sources - but rather an intimate study of the socio-political dimensions which have permeated the insurrectionist, Republican movement since its primitive, embryonic form at the beginning of the 20thC until its eventual absorption into the constitutional framework of democratic politics at the dawn of the 21st.
The "Armed Struggle" shows how the IRA came into being and details its history from the Easter Rising in 1916, how internal disagreements led to the formation of the Provisionals and how they carried out their operations from 1969 to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998 following many years of bloodshead, civil strife, inter-communal violence, several unsuccessful cease fires and periods of relative calm. The book is divided into four parts - History 1916-1963, Protest and Rebellion 1963-1976, Prisons and Politics 1976-1988 and peace? 1988-2002 and it attempts, usually successful to be a balanced account of the troubles.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The best book iv read about the IRA and reveals many things that were never reported at the time. Great bookPublished 18 days ago by shaun
If your after an easy read then go for a different title. Political overdose, crammed with dates, figures and really quite tough going at times...Published 8 months ago by neil evans
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this book.
He does show a very clear sympathy for the IRA's position until the last part where there is some balanced and decent... Read more
My Dad left it in a hotel room in Ireland so not sure how it ended so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt with 5 stars.Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Political History > Nationalism
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Civil Liberties & Political Activism > Political Violence
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Nationalism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > UK
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Ideologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Terrorism