Customer reviews

Armageddon's Song:: 'Advance To Contact': Volume 2
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2018
Would have been 5 stars except for the spelling and grammar errors, which do spoil the flow of reading.

The story line is very good and fast moving, it does switch from one area or viewpoint to another but not enough that you loose your place.

It also shows the lottery that war is in that no character seems safe, even though a character has a good introduction they may be dead a page later.
on 17 August 2017
A really good, enjoyable read. Up there with Tom Clancy's well written and gripping stories. I ordered Volume 2 as soon as I finished it.
Highly recommended
on 30 January 2014
Another great read. Couldn't put it down. I suppose some might think it is too detailed but never having got to the sharp end of any conflict I find it superb. Onto the last one.
on 17 March 2017
I finished the second volume of Andy Farman's five-book series "Armageddon's Song" today, and after reading something else for a change of pace, will definitely be going on to book three in the very near future. My comments on the first book in the series all hold true for this volue too, so let's get the bad out of the way first: as others have pointed out (and the author freely admits) the editing is sub-par, with grammatical errors and one or two howlers liberally sprinkled throughout the text. Yes, it can be jarring, but that's the worst that can be said of the book. With that out of the way, let's get on with the good -- of which there is a lot.

I've yet to find a more riveting, engrossing, page-turner of a book that covers a possible World War III...and I include "Red Storm Rising" and "Team Yankee" in that statement too. The lead characters are easy to like or hate, and manage to feel like real people rather than cardboard caricatures. The background characters do what background characters are there to do: populate the scenes and keep the plot rumbling along. The book enters with WWIII in full swing. Farman writes one hell of a good battle, be it a sweeping naval action with aerial components, ground combat between infantry units at close range, or gunships and armored fighting vehicles. One can almost hear the lead flying! I must admit to skimming over some of the espionage scenes a little (purely my personal preference, they're not badly done) simply because I wanted to get to the next combat engagement. The book is fast-paced but never outstays its welcome, and the whole series is very reasonably priced and good value for money. Well done on another page-turner, Mr. Farman. I'm enjoying the series immensely so far.
on 2 August 2014
Settle down with a glass, reader, this review might go on for a while…
I feel well qualified to comment on Andy Farman’s Armageddon’s Song series (despite only being two boks in), since I’m not only a fellow author but a man with a deep affection for the genre. From Hackett to Coyle I’ve read them all, and when I saw the series on Amazon I was unable to resist. To be very clear, unlike Andy I didn’t serve apart from a stint in the university OTC whose only real value was to convince me that the SLR was God’s own rifle. I do however share many of his evident beliefs, especially the fervent wish that once in a while the Minster of Defence could be a former soldier - and preferably one who served at too low a level to have been sucked up by our very inefficient version of the military industrial complex.
I did foresee a problem, however. Andy’s books are *shiver* self published. My worry was mainly qualitative - many self pubs really are dire, and sorting the chaff for the odd corker is a task I’d promised myself I’d avoid. But I had to give it a go. And no, I’m not snobbish about self pub, I think it’s brilliant that so many people have got out from under the tyranny of what the publishers think their readers want, this sereis being a likely case in point. As a man who wrote to his MP in fury when the Coalition cancelled the Nimrod project (although I’ve subsequently read Empire of the Clouds and found out the reason why, which makes horrible but logical sense) I still take a deep interest in the military of all branches, have a Lee Enfield in my rifle collection and just eat that alternative history/WW3 s*** with a spoon.
So, what did I find?
Plot: Strong, inventive, pretty realistic (I have no idea if the Spetsnaz really are capable, but it all sounds credible) and good enough to drag the reader right in. And I’m used to looking at fiction with a jaundiced eye as I see straight through plots. Not this one! Sometimes a little far fetched, like the slightly artificial means by which the British PM gets changed at short notice, but I can forgive that. And, joy of joys, he kills characters routinely, chopping the reader off at the knees just when they’ve come to love them even when perhaps they shouldn’t.
Characterisation: Good. Sometimes a bit hackneyed (I’ve had the same criticisms, so I feel no superiority in saying that), but often plain brilliant.
Dialogue: More than good enough.
This is a great series, well worth a read, and I’m in it to the finish.
What didn’t I like, given this is *only* a four star review?
There have been some comments as to how realistic the air and sea battles are, but to be fair to Andy he does tell us very clearly that he’s not an expert in either. And neither am I, which is probably why they didn’t trouble me.
I struggled a bit with some of the biases that Andy showcases. A thirty year old female Minister of Defence as one of the bad guys? Not likely. (Now watch some idiot like Milliband prove me wrong). And I doubt the Civil Service would have tolerated that sort of behaviour… (see my previous comment!). Andy’s clearly tapping a rich vein of often merited anger as to politicians’ and some senior officers’ outlooks and cynicism, and while I share that desire for our armed forces to stop getting the s***ty end of the stick at the level where the loud noises and fast moving metal are to be found, it’s sometimes just a bit too strident (in that it stops me loving the story and starts me thinking about the writing process). I’ve no doubt that the ARRSE lads love the books, and I can see why. And I did love the return to service of the SLR…
And the editing. Andy, your books seriously need an edit. Changes in tense are really f***ing irritating half way through a sentence. If I could read it from cover to cover without the grinding of mental gears I get from that sort of thing I’d have 5 starred it.
But with that out of the way I’m delighted to have found the series. I hardly ever review, and the fact that I’m doing this is an indicator as to how much I’m enjoying it. The politically correct will probably hate it, and since publishing is 90% female I’m not sure that it could ever get published, unless of course enough people buy it to raise interest among the people paid to look out for that sort of thing, but who cares? We love this sort of book, and we’re loving it
Well done Mr Farman.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 July 2013
The first book was good, this is even better.
Highly reccomended but start reading it on a day when you have nothing to do because you will not want to put it down.
When can we have next in the series please?
on 6 August 2013
Written by somone who knows his stuff and anyone who has served can see that. I am very pleased that there was no endless repatition of drills or reams of info on weapoon stats. The autor admits that they are not experts on air and sea warfare but non the less, he did a very good job of describing combat at sea.

The follow on book is just as good and I bought it within 10mins of finishing the first (don't you just love the ease of Kindle).
on 11 June 2013
This second instalment of what I take it will be a trilogy is as good if not better than the first book, inevitable comparisons to Clancy's Red Storm are I think misplaced as Andy has a broader span to deal with albeit its essentially a clash between the United States and Russia with the PRC thrown in for good measure in this series.
The focus on the British side of things is welcome though the other nations involvement is widely represented.
The pace is maintained throughout and the narrative underscored by intelligence and realism.
The author combines war in the air, at sea and on land in a seamless manner.
Great read buy it.
on 25 July 2013
I've read both 'Stand To' and 'Advance to Contact' and they are among the most enjoyable books I have ever read. An excellent balance of battle scenes, political machinations and black ops with great military anecdotes (Never knew the Guards regiments took to wearing bearskins after nicking them from the French at Waterloo) and some genuinely good humour thrown from characters at all levels. If you're looking for a good military yarn you can't do better than buy these books. Highly recommended.
on 22 May 2014
I found the story exceptional. A very good read. The series is fast moving, at ground level in the gun pits and at the top, in the oval office, or COBRA. I find the inter mix of high level policy impacting on the people at the sharp end, very thought provoking. The personalization of the characters just right, not to deep to detract from the story line. My only critic is that one needs to get a better proof reader, as there are sections where a lack of clarity is evident. Also when scenes change they are sometimes very abrupt, and one needs to read through again to find the jump. It reminds me of the Bat Man series I used to watch as a child when the narrator says" mean while in the bat cave". A lesson could be had from small intros to remind people of whats happening else where. As there is a lot happening everywhere. Perhaps that is the kernel of that problem.
Spell checker is well and good but the correct spelling of a word in context is sometimes lacking and tends to spoil as it implies a lack of respect for his readers.
Must try harder. The author obviously has a talent for telling of stories but needs to be more careful.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse