Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2017
I first read Terry Brook's Sword of Shannara back in 1980, and took to the series with relish. On the basis of that, I followed his other works too, and in particular, Running with the Demon detailing the exploits of John Ross, a Knight of the Word.
Boy, was I glad I did, for in Genesis of Shannara, we see a skilful introduction/evolution of the two series into one. (And I might add - a delightful surprise)
Genesis of Shannara takes place in a postapocalyptic world fifty years into our future, where the seeds of the Shannara world really begin to flourish. Civilization has fallen into darkness and stands little chance of surviving long. However, hope exists in the shape of two Knights of the Word, and the resilience of one of the Chosen, guardian of the Ellcrys who senses the fall of mankind also heralds the demise of the Elves - hidden as they are.
How the story develops - thereby weaving the two together - well, you'll have to find that out for yourselves. But it's skilfully and credibly done.
I look forward to the next in the series soon.
(Just a note to avid fans. Although this book/series stand alone, you can gain a great deal of insight and history by reading the Word & Void series first. Let's just say it will lay fine foundations for what's to come)
on 5 May 2017
It's nothing like I was expecting after reading some of the other books in this saga. but saying that It is still readable, and enjoyable.
on 8 April 2017
Gopd
on 28 October 2015
Great Read.
Many years ago I read some of the Shannara stories but I have to confess, I found them okay but not very memorable. I can remember books by Fiest, Eddings etc, but nothing stuck from Terry Brooks.

It wasn't until I picked this up and read the reviews that I realised that it linked into the Shannara stories and some of Brooks' other works, but you can read this in isolation.

This is a blend of post apocalypse survival with more then a bit of dark fantasy slung in. While the remains of mankind try to survive a holocaust, they have to defend themselves against emerging demons and those of mankind who are turning towards the emerging darkness.

I enjoyed this far more then I thought I would, with an interesting slant on the usual post apocalypse stuff. I was engaged quickly and keen to keep turning the pages to find where it was going. It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger which was a little frustrating and this probably pushed me to a three star score rather then four and it will be a frustrating wait until the next one.
on 18 March 2007
I have not been reading Terry Brooks in years, and I have to say "finding" him again with this book was a most pleasant surprise.

If you have read the Shannara books, please be wary and do not approach this book with the same ideas: this is no fantasy, or at least, not fantasy in the classic sense: the story unfolds in a post-apocalyptic scenario like has been told hundreds of times, but Mr. Brooks manages to add a new soul to it, avoiding all clichés you could expect.

The book unfolds "slowly", but this slowness does not affect the eagerness to go on, to turn page after page: as I see it, it is simply the price we have to pay to get to know well the main characters that will star in the next books, and once again I have not been disappointed by the level of insight that we are provided on each of them.

What truly crowns this book as a must-have for any Shannara fan, however, is the hints you get in the beginning (and the confirmations you get later on) that this story might have to do more with the world we learnt to know in the Shannara series than you might expected by a first glance.

The only warning I feel to give concerns the ending: this is a major cliffhanger, so if you think this may be a bother and maybe spoil a truly good story, then you might want to wait for the whole trilogy to be published before buying this book.
on 9 October 2007
I have read a lot of Terry Brooks' works but have never got around to the Word and the Void series so some of the mythology eluded me while I got into the book.

However I found this to be a good start to the trilogy and have always been intrigued by the background to Brooks' Shannara world. It is obvious he has pondered in depth the nature of the human animal and how it would respond to a catastrophe and come out the other end. Added to the mix are the usual magic plus a persecution by the forces of darkness and the inevitable re-emergence of the elves.

The only real criticism I would have of the book is it seemed to skim over various sections to make the book punchy and lacked depth in places. Some of the characters are one dimensional and there is virtually nothing of the humans in the domes who are portrayed as universally close minded and ineffectual and humans are not that black and white. It comes across a bit like a film director having to cram his vision of a three hour epic into ninety minutes.

Still reservations aside a good read and worth sticking with.
on 4 May 2009
Welcome to the post apocalyptic USA as defined by Terry Brooks.
"Armageddon's Children", is the first volume in a continuing story. There were at the last count two further audio works which continue the themes set out in this volume. These continuations are in order: "The Elves of Cintra" & "The Gypsy Morph"
This is a workmanlike attempt to combine Science Faction and Fantasy. (For those who do not know Science Faction unlike Science Fiction takes as its premise known technology in this case nuclear war, germ and chemical warfare.)
Terry Brooks introduces us to the main characters, gives us potted biographies wrapped in the memories of these characters and sets out what will be continuing story threads throughout all three volumes.
If you are familiar with the author's earlier fantasy works, you will not be disappointed. If you are a new reader your acceptance will depend on your fondness for the fantasy genre and all that this entails.
This audio work and the other volumes mentioned earlier each take over fifteen hours to run through. To get the full impact of the epic tale it would be advisable to invest in the other volumes.
There have been other works dealing with end of civilization scenarios; John Wyndham's "Day Of The Triffids"(The Book Not the film), George R Stewarts's "Earth Abides" and more recently Stephen King's "The Stand". All of these have there own view about what happens after the big event. I think "Armageddon's Children" is a worthy addition to this genre.
on 28 March 2006
Those of you who read Terry Brooks will know what to expect from this book. It will be written tightly with precise brush strokes of storytelling from a masterful writer. What I am going to tell you is simple: More than any other Terry Brooks book, I cannot wait for Book Two of this trilogy to be released! The first book centers around the destruction of the world and those who have been called upon to save a sliver of it. The two Knights in this book are written extraordinarily real - I honestly felt their plight and what it means for them to serve the Word. The story is dark and eager to be told, the characters real, and the only bad thing about this book is the wait for Book Two! Note: New readers to Terry Brooks can read this book without having read a single thing from the man! So buy it, enjoy it as I did!
on 29 September 2008
Terry Brooks has wriiten some excellent books - Shannara, The Word & Void being the pinnacle. This new series is very disappointing - it's as though the author was given a premise to write a trilogy around and he came up with this vapid and uninspiring script. Given this was supposedly linked to the Word & Void (which is superb) it is just plain dull. I was really looking forward to reading this trilogy, but after reading the first half, I'd completely lost interest in completing it