on 27 December 2012
Had this delivered to my Kindle this morning and couldn't wait to get reading. It didn't disappoint.

Pavo's struggle continues with the odds hopelessly stacked against him as his lanista and doctores conspire with Rome's politicians to prematurely end his new found celebrity status. They not only pit him against a previously unbeaten gladiator, but also tip the scales in the favour of Pavo's rival.
Optio Macro once again makes an appearance, but it was nice to see him in a more supporting role this time round, allowing Pavo to take centre stage and develop as a character.

At only £1.99, this ebook is competitively priced and in my opinion, good value for money. It takes about the same time to read as a 'Quickread' or a magazine.

For me, this series could run and run, and I for one can't wait for the next instalment.
on 22 August 2017
Not so much a novella more a chapter from the single book this series should have been. A pity to see a writer of Simon Scarrow's stature exploiting his readership in this manner.
on 31 January 2013
I have followed Macro and Cato through all of Simon's books and enjoyed them immensely and have made a collection of the paperbacks. Just when I thought I would have to wait a while for the next one, I noticed these Kindle exclusives with Macro as a character to feed my addiction and the stories are as well written as always. All I can say is thank god I have a Kindle!
on 3 January 2013
Much better than the previous arena novella,but still much to rushed for me to recommend I think the whole load would make a passable novel though it's not for the more fastidious readers among you as the pace of the book leaves little time for detailed colour of the time , which correctly if I'm wrong but isn't that a major reason why we read historical fi
ction .
on 5 December 2014
This mini series is pretty good and a nice insight into our hero Macro from the Eagle series of books. This series is also available now as a single volume.
on 14 October 2013
Once again Simon is able to bring the Roman age to life. This is a fast paced series of books but I feel it could have been put in less volumns. Makes me think he was being hassled by publisher. On the topic of publisher Simon needs to admonish them as they failed to pick up on a great many spelling mistakes. I can understand novelist using spell check but proof readers shouldn't.
on 1 September 2014
As good as the eagle series where ancient Rome is described to the detail and allows you the reader seeming you were there with the characters. A very good part two as the twists and turns of the story line leads the reader toward the next chapter. Compelling reading.
on 23 June 2016
thoroughly entertaining , Simon Scarrow knows his romans !
on 5 June 2014
My comments are as described for the first sword. You just get into the story when it terminates and you have to have purchased the series to reach the conclusion of the story.
on 24 May 2013
Because this involves one of Scarrow's heros Macro there is added interest in the story because of it. We learned a little more of Macro's past which is interesting.