on 18 July 2017
This excellent book works particularly well with the "UNO R3 Project The Most Complete Ultimate Starter Kit" by Elegoo. That box contains almost all the bits needed for the projects in this book. The two combined will take anyone from beginner to Arduino Ninja.
on 5 July 2014
This book was written by someone with a love for building devices based on the Arduino boards - the author wanted to share his passion rather than rip people off with a "me too" type book to make a fast buck.

The book is very well laid out with hundreds of full colour pictures, diagrams and layouts. Each device used is examined and the author explains what it does and why. The code for the projects is available to download so you don't need to laboriously copy listings from the book.

The book was originally funded by "crowd funding" from like minded Arduino fans and the success of this first volume has encouraged the author to write a second more adventurous/complicated second volume.

If you want to start building gizmos based on the wide range of Arduino boards and "shields" then this book whould be your first purchase. Even accomplished Arduino fans will find something useful! - Highly recommended.
on 24 November 2015
I got this with my first Arduino Uno so I'm new to electronics. I'd already spend some time learning about basic electronics from https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tags/concepts, I can't remember whether I knew this book was lacking details or not. I've found that it doesn't really explain many of the choices in any detail. There are quite a few errors as well. I found some things like it referring to the Tone library but not providing any external reference (Project 11). It later uses that library which you don't have so the code fails to compile (Project 13). By the way, I found the Tone library at https://code.google.com/p/rogue-code/wiki/ToneLibraryDocumentation but it appears abandoned. That's probably since there's a tone and noTone function from Arduino core now. I got project 13 working using that.

Also it only includes fritzing diagrams for the wiring, I skimmed over the book and some only have photos. I guess it's aimed at just showing some projects but I think it would be better to start with diagrams like that then switch to or also include plain schematics. Another odd thing, it shows directly plugging in LEDs into IO pin 13 and GND which if I understand correctly hasn't had a built in resistor on the Arduino for some time and this book was published in 2014 according to Amazon. The book does explain newer boards may need a resister but assumes you know enough to pick and use one.

I think I might try out the Arduino Workshop: A Hands-On Introduction with 65 Projects by John Boxall instead. I can read a copy at a local makers space so I can try before I buy this time.

Don't get me wrong, for the £12 I paid it's not terrible but it's not that great either. Maybe the earlier projects were better, though I only got to Project 21 due to lack of components I own.
on 24 November 2014
A step by step "Howto" program and wire up the Arduino Uno. Beginning with the ideas behind the world of Arduino followed by a good description of the Arduino itself and the accessories you will need. The chapter on software tells you how to connect it to a PC , download lots of free software and the free Arduino operating system that you will need.
Projects are simple at first and I was encouraged by seeing them photographed in full colour. My Arduino had arrived about a week before the book, but I had done nothing with it, When the book arrived I faithfully followed all the details. I had no difficulty completing the first six projects in the next six days. Each project introduces a new idea, all is explained in plain English with no more than you need to know to do the job in hand. The software for each project (called a sketch in the Arduino world) is printed in full. I am enjoying this colourful book as not a detail has been missed, and I am able to get my programs, sorry sketches, to work.
on 20 July 2014
This is a fantastic book. Really well illustrated with colour pictures (always helpful when dealing with electronic components). Really good for classroom teachers who are new to this area. Also good for people new to the Arduino and the world of electronics.

Would also be a good book for ideas for projects for a club. As there are clear step by step instructions. Going on my reading list for teacher subject knowledge acquisition.
on 29 June 2014
as a proud crowdfunder of this project i might be a bit biased. but this book has helped me a lot to start creating my own projects. from helping to set up a workspace to simple and more complex projects and finally to convincing the readers that they can be creative themselves.
for beginners and intermediate users.
highly recommended!
on 23 September 2014
I like this book, I already had a few books on the Arduino / PI and had made good progress with some projects. What made this a must by was, it was started by crowd funding, its crammed with projects and like the author I had a ZX Spectrum and had thought of writing my own book so had to show my support by getting a copy...unlike all those programs you'd have typed into your Spectrum the code in this book works!

I'd recommend getting this book and once you've worked through it and got a nice stock of components think about your next projects and get a more specific book for that idea. This book gives you the base you need to then explore more complex areas.

Roll on volume 2... maybe with some projects from inspired readers and crowd fundings of a little starter kit of components...
on 6 August 2014
This is the Arduino bible, not only are the projects brilliantly fun to make but they also provide a comprehensive education into the workings of this brilliant invention. Artists, hobbyists and gadget freaks will be literally gobsmacked by how handy this is. BRILLIANT!
on 30 July 2014
I missed out on the indiegogo campaign but luckily the author had more to sell, I bought mine elsewhere. Fantastic full colour book perfect for the beginner in arduino and very easy to follow with full code printed for each project to copy or download from his site if you're too lazy to type.
For volume two I would like to see a project or two on SMS/mobile phone shields, perfect for DIY alarms, infact more projects covering different shields would be nice.
Anyway, if you're only going to buy one book on arduino projects then you can't go wrong with this one, it wont bore you to death before you get started other similar books.
Brilliant book for anyone starting out in Arduino and the best I've looked at by a mile. If you are looking to learn about Arduino then this should be the first port of call because Geddes has done a simply superb job of demystifying the subject with clear, concise writing, diagrams that are a paragon of clarity and plenty of photographs to help the visualistation of what you are trying to achieve. Quite honestly I don't think I've ever come across any reference book of any kind that is so easily digested.

Bottom line is that this book is a no brainer if you are about to dive into hobby electronics.