Customer reviews

Architects' Sketchbooks
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 March 2012
I just received this book yesterday, I am shocked that this book has received two 2 star ratings so I had to write a review just to give this book a bit of a boost and recommendation. I love architecture; I am a graphic artist however so I do not intend to actually get an understanding of the more technical aspects of architectural design. With this book I have found exactly what I was looking for, beautiful architectural hand renders, expressionate forms and the odd bit of text in amongst the amazing images. Considering the title "Architects sketchbook", it should really not be expected to be anything more than a picture book full of fantasy. So if you are just looking for a book to inspire you then definitely get this book, there will be better options if you want a book that will teach more practical methods. I do agree that the architecture is a little unrealistic so you will learn a great deal more in terms of mark making ideas and compositions rather than processes and how to create practical homes.

To sum up, if you are just looking for a thick book of beautiful architectural imagery, this is a must have. This is also a new personal favourite.
on 11 April 2011
I'm an interior design student, found this book really interesting. Great to see how lots of architects work and their different methods of coming up with ideas. Must have taken ages to compile! Sketches are something which you don't often see in other books - you only see the finished product or final CAD rendering.... I love this book, it's refreshing!
on 1 March 2013
This was a spur of the moment buy, but I am so glad I came across this little gem. It's a great reference book. I bought it, then my tutor bought it, then the library bought it. For £20 as well you cant get better value.
on 5 January 2012
Bought as a present for an Architect and she absolutely loves it!
Probably not the most informative book in terms of words or written content but the imagery, sketches and concepts are fantastic.
on 25 July 2013
Got this through a giftcard as a present from my college grades before going to uni to study Interior Design. I'd been told about this book by a uni-lecturer at an interview & decided to go for it just on their advice but it was well worth it. The book is vast, full of a wide range of examples of design processes & developmental work as provided by working architects. Definitely helped inspire & get the creative juices going & I think I'll find this book very resourceful i the future!
on 12 November 2013
I needed this book for my UNI as i am a architect student, i wanted to understand how architects go about their way of thinking and what best way to do so is to look at their sketches. Its a small look into the process of there minds and it really helped me to build up my own style of drawing and sketching. The images are high quality and personally the architects exhibited in it where of a varied style .
on 30 October 2013
What can I say more? The pages cover various architecture illustrations, notes, random sketches and modelmakings done by many established architects, a MUST HAVE for those who wish to channel their ideas and thoughts into their empty pages but have no idea nor sense of direction on what and where to start, AMAZING! A******
on 7 October 2014
Very inspiring book. Fantastic range of original work from a broad range of architects. Very contemporary selection and in tune with the work you see at degree shows. The images are clear and you are given access to material that is hard to find in any other place in such abundance.
on 15 February 2014
Feels great, really good quality, it came sooner than expected too! really very good, I am just starting out in the architecture scene and has proven good for inspiration, most of the sketches are concepts though
on 10 December 2015
one of the best books on architects ever, gives you a perfect inside on what's going on inside the architect's head ,expensive but worth it )