Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 April 2011
This book has been a constant desk fellow of mine throughout my architectural education and work in practice.

Inside is a well considered series of chapters documenting the day to day considerations when working in the construction industry. As a quick reference supplement to my working this title has been invaluable. The problem with any architectural resource is that the industry is constantly in motion and information is constantly updated.

It is a constant battle to try and keep up with the most recent changes to policy and regulation. Which is why i point out that this book is a supplementary guide and not a bible. It does not cover a lot of the specialisms that are encountered in regard to modern day construction. That said, the portability, detailed diagrams and extensive references make this book stand out amongst similar titles.

Having long owned a copy of the previous edition, the revised edition of the Architects Pocket book doesn't seem to contain a significant change in content. As the previous review points out, there appears to be only 5 extra pages. Therefore if you already own a copy of the 3rd, i wouldn't see the absolute need in purchasing this new edition, provided you are pragmatic about the information inside.

But for anyone new to the subject or thinking of finding a suitable quick reference, then here undoubtedly is your place to start.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 August 2012
This title was suggested to me by the main contractor working on our period property refurbishment as an excellent primer on building design and materials.

I would suggest there are actually two main uses for this book. Firstly as a reference and easy access data book - checking weights, loadings, sizes etc - which as listed in other reviews is ideal for a professional engaged in construction. The data is of course not exhaustive as it is constrained to pocket book size, but it hits an excellent balance between summary and detail. This is an excellent reflection on the author's ability to precis information.

Secondly - and where it is most useful for me as a self builder rather than building pro, especially when engaged on a project not supported by an architect - it gives a basic understanding of a wide range of issues. For example, there is a straightforward summary of foundation types, generic benefits of different insulation materials etc which have all helped me either to refine specifications or to judge that I need to go and research further elsewhere. There is also a great deal here to save you trial and error - the spacing needed around cars when designing a garage block, circulation space within bathrooms etc etc. Even if, as a self builder, you are using the services of an architect I would still recommend this as background reading.

From the self build perspective I would suggest this goes on to your shelf alongside a copy of Mark Brinkley's book Housebuilder's Bible (ninth edition) (9th Edition) which complements this nicely, adding detail to some of the pocket book's introduction to subjects and also invaluable advice on controlling costs.

Thoroughly recommended.
I have just received this book . My initial thoughts are that the book is an excellent treatise on things architectural . A practical book full of the necessary details one needs to design a building and its infrastructure . I think it will become a constant companion , even though I am an Engineer . I recommend it to all professionals linked with building construction .
on 2 May 2015
I am studying my BA Architecture at uni and got this as due to recommendation by a lecturer. By midway through the first term... I think 95% of students on my course owned this. It is a vital piece of kit to own for helping with your degree.

It came with me every week to studio sessions and sat on my work desk at home permanently as it was used so regularly. Every student I know at uni has this in their collection... so if you're going to uni for architecture or interior design... get it!

You'll be pleased to know this is a book to have for reference... not one to read cover to cover... But you will know your way around it pretty quick!!
If you are in any way involved in construction on a domestic scale, the Architect's Pocket Book is a must.
It evolved from a set of notes used by the author, collating the diverse practical information regularly required in her work as an architect. So many friends requested copies that she ditched the photocopier in favour of a publishing deal, and thank heaven she did! Nowhere else can you find concise notes that cover the whole spectrum of information needed for smaller projects.

The book is divided into six sections, namely General Information, Planning, Structures, Services, Building Elements and Materials. There is also an appendix containing addresses, a list of sources and an index followed by a few pages for your own scribbles. Within the sections you find a wealth of information, tables and diagrams that cover such useful topics as drawing conventions, anthropometric data, weight of materials, safe loads on subsoils, concrete mixes, lintel sizes, beam formulae, heat loss, timber stress grade tables, types of nails, identifying wood boring beetles, plasterboard dimensions and much, much more.

This 4th edition has 368 pages and has been expanded and updated since the 2nd, 305 page and 3rd, 363 page editions. The format and sections remain the same. If you are more interested in materials and construction info than current planning considerations and CAD I suggest you consider purchasing a previous edition which can often be bought more cheaply, such as the second edition that I also reviewed. Whether you are an architect, developer, student, interior designer, builder, or DIY enthusiast, this book will be relevant and of great practical use to you. My copy remains a trusted and well thumbed friend.
on 26 January 2014
My boyfriend, who is a graduated surveyor, had this on his wish list because he said it was such a fantastic reference tool during his degree. I got it for him as an extra Christmas gift and constantly catch him reading up on things in there. He really loves it.
on 3 July 2011
I have found this little book an invaluable resource when consulting with Clients, Builders, and others during the design stage of projects. It is a store of mundane information which is vital to settle disputes, and differences of opinion. What is the size of a standard single garage? What is the mass of concrete blockwork? Stellwork information is easily to hand. It is a cracker of a book.
Sid Keeling. 3rd July 2011.
on 19 February 2013
Really fast delivery on this item. My son needed this for a future university course so it was nice to be able to buy from Amazon and put it away in plenty of time. Great little book and great service.
on 14 February 2013
I bought this book having borrowed from friends. But am disappointed that I chose the kindle version because the reproduction quality of the sketches is quite poor. I have even looked at the book on my ipad where the screen is a little larger and it is not
much better. If I was to buy again I would buy the hard copy!!
on 17 July 2011
I like the idea of this book which gathers together a lot of data from other sources which will be useful to a Architect or Interior designer into a nice pocketable format. I guess some of the data could age quickly as building regs and standards change so may be best to check before committing to a design or specification.