Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2014
Despite an interesting world and promising plot starting point, I found this book rather flat.

There were three main problems. The first is a basic plot failing. The heroine was simply too powerful. She had more psychic abilities than an octopus has arms, and kept producing new ones or variants on old ones whenever the plot got stuck.

The second problem was that the plot was utterly driven by psychic revelations. It felt like cheating, and left no room for our trusty heroine to show her canny heroic qualities. She just followed the psychic breadcrumb trail, which was kind of boring for me.

Problem 3 is that the writing style was... Sparse. Economical. I would have liked less factual 'we ate pizza, curled up watching a film then went to bed' descriptions, and more of the kind of detail that brings me immersion, empathy and identification. A few less statements of what someone did, and a lot more subtle scene setting.

I mean, what does the inside of an elf's house look like? What does a shifter think about working in the agency? Why were the vampire loose ends such obvious red herrings? All things that might have created a deeper, more satisfying book.
on 22 July 2014
Yay great to read a brilliant well written book, this is fab x really REALLY enjoyed this. Characters are brilliant and the story is fascinating. Old you like urban fiction Or the Paranormal you will not be disappointed...
on 9 February 2014
I love urban fantasy and currently am discovering the wealth of talent out there in indie publishing. Gayla Drummond has hit the nail on the head with this. It has everything I look for, well written, amazing story, original ideas and most of all characters you connect to. For me this was a truly unique concept and I loved the way that the whole book/series was set without creating a downpour of information on the poor reader. We discovered the world as we went along, discovering new supernaturals and ways of the world as we went along.

Discordia was a loveable character, believable and made decisions that I could totally relate to. The secondary characters were well fleshed out and very enjoyable. The only one I didn't like was Nick, but then you can't like everyone can you? The pace was fast and I really enjoyed reading about Cordi's abilities and the scope she has with them. Her tracking abilities were unpredictable and infuriating for her, but led for a wild ride and I loved every minute of it. Well worth anyone's time and money, I'm heading straight for the next book!
on 24 March 2014
Lots of "kick ass" action in a world resulting from something that brings creatures, elves, demons, vampires and all those other ridiculous inventions together, while gifting various powers to some humans. That's a clever idea that allows for all sorts of fantasy. Stuck for a way out of the latest battle with demons? No problem....invent a new power for the heroine and float all goodies out in a green bubble. Well I suppose one can be thankful that kids are still reading.
on 3 October 2015
Premise is good, but the story was flat. Not only did everything rely on a vision, no PI stuff, the main characters powers were everything and a new one was revealed each time she needed to get out of a jam. The get out of jail free card really.
The characters, aside of the familiars, were uninteresting and cliche. I felt the writing, although clear, lacked emotion.
I've been intending to check this series out for quite a while, and could kick myself now for not having read this book earlier. There's some great urban fantasy on the market at the moment featuring a number of sassy, independent heroines determined to race into danger to save those they love. Meet another such leading lady; Discordia Angel Jones (aka Discord, aka Cordi). She lapsed into a coma during the Melding (when magic was re-introduced back into the mortal realm) and missed the resulting upheaval. Waking up 3 years later with a number of psychic abilities, it took Cordi another couple of years to fully recover and to control her new powers. Now she's 23 and working as a private investigator for Arcane Solutions. There's an immediate air of familiarity to the plot as it is quickly established that Cordi needs a bodyguard; despite her impressive mental powers she is after all only human, and I was left with a slight feeling I'd missed something; perhaps a novella that introduces Cordi and the world she inhabits.

That aside, this is a great start to this series. Cordi proves to be an intrepid heroine. There's a love interest introduced in the form of werewolf Nick and possible love rival shape shifting tiger Logan. There are plenty of other intriguing characters; Mr Whitehaven, Derrick the vampire, Thorandryll the elf, Leglin the hound, and a number of witches and their accompanying familiars. Cordi also has a mundane life; a hippy dippy mother plus a re-married father with a new wife and kids to deal with and keep safe. There's action of epic proportions, some great banter and plenty of magic. This series is already a firm favourite. 4½ stars
on 17 February 2014
This features a gal with the *great* name of Discord Jones :-), who is a PI working in a supernatural detective agency… Whoa! Anita Blake? No. Not a necromancer, not a sex magnet. Having said that, there are some similarities in the setup, and if you enjoyed the early Anita Blake, you’ll love Discord.

The book has plot twisting fun—there are two main threads—find the missing teenager who appears to have been kidnapped by vampires and also retrieve a stolen grimoire for the elf who’s too sexy for his own good. Of course, nothing is quite what it seems. There’s a romantic sub-plot (not with the elf) which stays very much in the background, and made me feel uncomfortable for the love interest (whatever that says about me).

Cue the other denizens – witches, demons, shifters and some very engaging familiars. The world building is good, and some information is being held back for later in the series.

Dialogue is snappy and there’s a good serving of humor in some of the situations Discord gets herself into. Drummond sells the protagonist’s jeopardies on the basis of her inexperience, which works very well, and the hint of potentially over-powerful characters at the start is countered very neatly.

One of the sub-plots ended rather quietly, and I thought was a good candidate for being left up in the air as a hook for the next book, but I’m being picky.

On a parting note…*great* cover.
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2014
Love these stories! Great story telling, a real page turner. I read it so quickly I finished it far too fast and had to read it again I loved it so much. Can't wait for the next one to come out.
on 19 February 2012
One of the best books I have read recently, full of interesting and original characters. Discord is a real "kickass" heroine who is still learning about her powers, heaven help the opposition when they are fully developed. There is not one boring character in this novel, and I can't wait for the next book in the series.
on 24 February 2014
I really enjoyed this! I wasn't too sure based on the synopsis and reviews, I wondered if her having all of the different talents would end up in confusion however, I am pleased to say that it didn't. I found her feisty and funny and likeable. I liked the way the characters interacted and how the story developed. The world is well created and the story was well written without stacks of annoying typos and errors. A great start to the series and I have already read the second one and can tell you that it is just as good. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the third instalment - can't wait to see where the writer takes it