on 24 October 2010
I am already delighted with this. It arrived promptly and works really well. I had got fed up with recharging batteries to use in our little bathroom radio and it was also become unreliable with old age; so this seemed the perfect answer. The sound quality is more than good enough to listen to speech but obviously not up to concert standard for music. We live in quite a remote area so the signal strength is not great and our walls are old and very solid so sometimes we have problem getting good reception; but these little machine does really well. Have just ordered to more for family members.
on 14 August 2012
Must say that when I ordered this item I was concerned that it was going to be a waste of money. Having used this several times now in the sun, wind and rain I can honestly say that it is a terrific piece of kit. I have found that you do need really strong sunlight in order for it to work by solar power alone, but just give the handle 100 turns and it seems to run for more than an hour. 100 may seem like a big number but in truth its about 2 minutes! Can get all my local radio stations and most BBC stations. I use it solely when I am fishing and so far it has stood up to being kicked around in my bag, rained on, covered in fish slime and ground bait. I would say it is probably the most useful piece of kit in my fishing bag.

I cannot think of any real downsides although a word of warning! Be gentle when tuning in or adjusting the volume, if like me you can be a bit heavy handed, you have missed the station before you know it and deafend yourself with static in the process.

On the whole I think this is tidy for the price.

I have had this fantastic little radio for about 18 months now and felt I had to update this review. The radio is still going strong, it is still being kicked around in my fishing bag, it has been stored over winter with my gear in a garage yet still works brilliantly, no sign of the handle breaking off, rust, rot, damp, I would really recommend this product and it is still the most useful piece of kit in my fishing bag
on 15 September 2010
Bought this to use primarily as a portable speaker for my ipod...and its not bad for that. The sound is very good quality for such a little radio and the solar panel works really well when placed in the sun. Its also shower proof - handy for in the garden. It seems to struggle to get reception for some stations in certain locations in the house.

If its not sunny (and this is the uk..) then you need to charge it up via a USB cable plugged into your computer. This gives you a few hours sound which is not bad. Unfortunately the handle is of little or no use - several minutes winding just gives a few seconds of sound. If you wind it too vigorously the handle will snap off.

It was only £14.95 when i bought it - and i use it a lot - so overall am fairly pleased with it.
on 13 November 2010
I ordered this radio to use in my greenhouse as I liked the idea of not having to plug anything in or use batteries and also thought the splashproof qualities would be a good idea. When I unpacked it I was at first surprised by just how small it was and worried that the sound might be 'tinny'. However I was delighted to switch it on and find that it worked immediately straight out of the box and the sound was excellent. I think this radio is an absolute bargain at the price.
on 9 February 2011
We don't have a TV, so spend hours each day listening to the radio (mostly R3 and R4) and have several small battery-powered radio sets dotted around the house where they get picked up and moved from room to room with us. We're forever charging their batteries so this model was appealing. When it arrived we immediately liked the light weight, the compact size, box-like shape and the rubberised feel. The reception is pretty good even with the aerial down, and the sound quality is ok - a little hollow sounding but quite good enough for casual listening to speech or music and better than some larger radios. The winding handle seems sturdy enough but the solar charging works so well we've hardly had to use it, even for evening listening. We're well pleased with this radio and have bought others as presents for family. I now carry one with me wherever I go... the house, the garden, chuck it in my bag when I go out... highly recommended.
on 13 October 2011
Brilliant device! I bought this for my coming trip to South Sudan for the locals. I've tested it out in the UK and I was able to tune into the radio and the sound quality is good for it's size. I can also plug my mp3 into it and use it as a speaker. I'm so impressed I'm going to invest in one for my own personal use. It's small size & waterproof design make it perfect for travellers &/or gardeners.

Useful technical information on the box not mentioned on the web are below:
FM frequency range: 87-108 MHz
Max current of solar energy: >20 mA
Full solar charge takes: 35-40 hours
H: 82mm; W: 74mm; D: 50mm
on 13 December 2011
Ordered from Gadgets UK, who also operate as S-Gizmos (by Amazon).
Delivered item was older version without upgrades, USB or aux input as pictured & described by other reviews.
I'm sure this is a great unit, but I've been duped & this one is going straight back.
on 18 March 2011
When i first opened the radio i was disappointed as it was so small. I thought the sound would therfore be pathetic but how wrong i was. I am amazed at the sound this little radio blasts out. I wanted a small wind up water resistant radio for the bathroom as i love having the radio on and singing away in the shower. I was sick of the waste from batteries and will be buying as many wind up devices as i can now. This little beauty is really worth the money as it can be recharged by wind up or by using the small solar panel on the top. The other advantage is that it can be used for my ipod when i go camping or for using as a speaker with a mobile phone. An amazing amount of uses from such a tiny device.
on 6 October 2010
Brilliant little box with a lot of power.
I only received it today, charged it a little and it's been doing it's thing ever since.
Amazing sound, for what it is. It's so small you could put it anywhere, but not too small.
I bought this one for the bathroom and I'm thinking of buying another one for the kitchen now.
I might even buy a few for Christmas presents it's so reasonibly priced!
on 13 April 2011
Bought this 2 weeks ago and i think its fantastic, the one thing not mentioned in the product descripion is that it will actually charge your phone using your phones USB data cable, it charges my blackberry at a rate of 1% per minute,doesn't sound like much but its usefull to get you out of a jam,this probably has to be the most usefull travel radio/mp3 speaker/phone charger ever made.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse