HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 November 2016
I ordered these for use in my Brita jug which uses the original classic water filters.

The only apparent difference between these Aqua Optima filters and the Brita seems to be the price with these working out at less than half the price for a year's supply which would easily stretch into 15 months of use if replaced every 6 weeks instead of 4.

The fit the jug perfectly, there is no residue of any sort in the drinking water and no discernible difference in the taste or quality of the filtered drinking water. I won't be reverting to the Brita original filters again and have now used these instead for the last two years.
8 people found this helpful
on 2 September 2013
These Optima Universal water filters are genuine, I checked with Optima! They are very good value compared to the Brita filters and fit perfectly in my jug, no problems at all! The water tastes just as good as with the Brita filters, but I found that I have to soak the filters for about 20-30 minutes first and after installing into the jug pass 2 or 3 lots of water through discarding it.
The water has a bit of a charcoal taste at first but after about 3 or 4 uses it's perfect tasting clean clear water.
By-the-way the Brita filters also had the same charcoal taste at first. So honestly, I can't see or taste any difference, just a whole lot cheaper!
12 people found this helpful
on 13 June 2016
Hurrah - since I discovered that these fit the Perfect Prep machine, I am saving a fortune on the official Tommee Tippee filters.
6 people found this helpful
on 2 July 2013
These are brilliant, I used to purchase universal filters from Wilkos £5.00 for 3... they stopped selling them in the shop and they can be purchased from their website with mailing cost! These are equally as good as those but much more cost efficient. I use these in an Asda filter jug that I've had for years and they fit just fine and the taste of the water is good. I will always buy these from now on and only wish I'd seen them for sale ages ago...I'd be quids in now.
footnote.
Stopped buying these because of faulty cartridges...water turned cloudy.. contents came out of cartridge. refunded by Amazon but will not buy these again.
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 June 2014
We live in a hard water area and you can see it in limescale built up inside the kettle. Normally after descaling the kettle and changing a filter in our brita jug I see that the kettle stays pretty much limescale-free for about 3 weeks. Aflter that some limescale starts building up and then I know it's time to change the filter. That was the case with the original filters, but they are quite expensive, so I tried these ones. Unfortunately it didn't even take a week before I had limescale back in the kettle, it pretty much started building up 2 days after I started using these filters. Maybe they are good for impurities in water, but did not work for me.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2018
I returned these as after doing all that one has to do to prepare the cartridge, the water tasted so bitter, even if I boiled it. Awful! I had contacted Aqua Optima about the date on the packaging to see if it was the expiry date, I was told not, but I suspect it was, as why would it taste so vile.
on 15 December 2013
Whilst I am sure these work fine for drinking water filtration, I put them to another use.
My wife has a steam generator iron which quickly clogs up on hard water. I will only use distilled water for engine cooling systems.
De-ionised or distilled water is expensive.
As we run a de-humidifier throughout the winter months, instead of throwing the collected water away, I filter it through these water filters by fitting one in a small plastic drum and draining it into a 25lt container.
This gives me an endless supply of free distilled water for vehicle / boat maintenance and my wife’s steam generator iron which she hasn’t had to clean once since I started doing this.
One person found this helpful
on 15 December 2016
Disappointed as the water sits without filtering the last 3 inches. Sometimes you are unaware it has not gone through and as you pour the lid comes off and water has gone everywhere! I wrote and asked what to do and the reply was to take out filter and shake often! Back to more well known filters next time.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2017
Item as described, the heads look smaller than the original one supplied with water filter machine however still fits to Andrew James filtered hot water dispenser.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 November 2015
I was looking for water filters for a Tesco water jug, I bought a while back. As tesco's are far too expensive, plus I like to bulk buy. I was slightly worried about buying 12 of these, just in case they never fitted. I read the reviews before hand, there was one person, who stated it fitted their Sainsbury jug. I got me thinking that maybe, Tesco's & Sainsburys have a simliar jug. They fit perfectly, so now I know where I can bulk buy