on 5 October 2017
Engaging book beautifully written with interesting characters. Susan Wiggs humour style makes easier to go through an otherwise hard to swallow realization of some of the many evil actions and hurts the Nazis did to so many. Look forward to the continuation of Isabel and Tess story in the third book instalment. CPC
on 10 January 2015
One of the best stories I've read recently. It is different, full of interesting characters and a storyline that keeps the reader guessing at what to expect next. It has what I call a feel good factor and leaves you wanting more.
on 11 May 2017
I didn't know if I would enjoy but this was a great read. I will read another one by this author.
on 20 January 2014
just love her books read a few now and really enjoyed them, a varied and different subject and families. recommended
on 13 January 2014
I was expecting a twist at the end which did not materialise which is a shame. A good story though
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2013
This book begins with a very intriguing chapter, which will get you completely hooked. Tessa works very hard for an antiques auction house, and is expecting to get a lucrative promotion. She sees this as a reward for all the hours that she has put in, but on the very day of her interview, she is taken ill with severe stress related symptoms and rushed to hospital. She also has a visit from someone with information about a family that she never knew she had. This is a book which takes place both in the present, and in Europe during the second world war. It's a lovely comforting story, set on a wonderful farm that I really wish was real, and with lots of food and a few recipes too. As Tess gradually relaxes and begins to recover, she learns what's really important in her life, and more especially, who. A great read that I really enjoyed, and was sorry to finish.
on 14 September 2013
This is one of the nicest books I've read in a long time. It is well written, very descriptive and definitely gives you the feel good factor. The recipes introduced at the beginning of each section are tempting and I will in fact try them, no doubt with Isabel in my thoughts. Even now I have finished the book I just can't stop thinking about the characters and wish I could continue to be in their lives.
on 30 October 2013
Enjoyed this book, makes a change not to have unnecessary violence, gratuitous sex to have a good read. Would read any other books by this author.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2014
We skip from present America to past Denmark as a family reunited only through difficulties, has to live in the shadow of the Nazi invasion of Denmark. This is a pleasant tale and romance, slow in the middle as everyone gradually meets everyone else, then more lively at the end.

We start by meeting an elderly gentleman enjoying a morning of apple picking in his orchard in Sonoma County, then we skip to a young lady who finds hidden treasures for an auction house. Part of her job is to persuade people to part with their heirlooms as the auction firm gets commission on the sale. Her work is quite interestingly presented and we actually feel annoyed when she finds out about a relative she never knew existed and hares off to Sonoma - just as annoyed as she feels when the phone rings and she gets asked why she isn't in the office.

The middle is not that interesting apart from the constant baking which is lavishly sprinkled through the book, with recipes for anything from lavender scones to Scottish kettle pie. I am sure some people will buy this just for the sumptuous recipes and well done to the author for making them such a feature.
on 30 September 2013
I can't recommend Susan Wiggs enough and this one will not disappoint. Superb stories of characters that draw you into their lives.