Customer reviews

Colour: Rubber Wood Magazine Rack|Change

on 1 February 2015
I think buying this product is a gamble - some people have obviously been lucky and received their rack and all the pieces were present and the groove/screw holes were all in the correct location; but I was one of the unlucky folk - I wished I had read the negative reviews on this before buying it - that would have saved an hour of my life that was wasted trying to assemble this damn thing. The individual pieces were of decent quality, but the groove that was on the four sides ( that the base should slide into ) didn't line up. Well you could have made it line up, but then the screw holes wouldn't ... it's a great pity, as it looked exactly what I was after - but the QA on this product is shocking and I believe it was impossible to assemble, without either a chisel or a drill ( neither which I own ) ... so have returned to Amazon for a refund !!
on 5 April 2014
They might as well not put any instructions in the box as is is just a very poor photocopy of two very poor diagrams. Assembly is basically an unnecessary nightmare because of poor workmanship. The dowel pegs are a very good idea but the problem is in the holes that were drilled - perfect fit on one set of boards and holes that were way too large on the other. So, rather than be a nice to assemble product - push in the pegs, push in the boards, screw it together it takes two people to try and get all of the pieces together at one time. A classic case of a reasonable design ruined by incredibly poor workmanship.
on 9 January 2017
It is close to 4 stars but had to give it 3. The Rack is finer after construction and does the trick but the assembly instructions are pitiful and such an own goal by Apollo. I am used to putting together flat pack furniture etc and I am used to visual instructions but this is so ridiculous, two pictures that are not very helpful and you need about 6 hands to put attach the ends (I did manage alone in the end but it is very very hard) and the dowels only approach to the middle struts means it does feel slightly flimsy. I would say the rack is quite good for the price but I think 3/5 is fair.
on 7 April 2016
I love this Rack! Beautiful hardwood, reasonably priced...it doesn't grow on trees you know! (Yes I am joking.) Easy enough to put together and if you get an extra pair of hands it helps. With only a 2" divider I cut a thin piece of plywood to fit in the middle and that does that job to suit me, although not everyone will feel the need for that. (Hardboard, or even stiff card or plastic chopping board may do the trick.)
I would definitely recommend this product.
onanon
on 8 December 2015
This rack came in many pieces - my husband put it together for me but said it wasn't hard. It is sturdy once put together. From the photo it looked like it had a middle piece separating the two sides which would help to keep magazines upright, however it doesn't, the piece in the middle that you see is a v-shaped insert which is handy for pens, remotes etc but doesn't extend further than an inch or so. Magazine therefore have to be placed with the longest side vertical to stop them curling over.
on 30 July 2013
When confined to a wheelchair, manipulating bits and pieces can be rather awkward! Things keep falling off your lap, and carefully positioned parts always come apart. There was much bad language flying about while putting the magazine rack together, and it took much longer than it would have in earlier times. However the package arrived around lunch time, and I finished it by early afternoon
I found the design far better than most of the ‘flat pack’ stuff I used to come across. Ample leeway is provided for slipping the pieces into place, and it was quite easy to make a stable enough structure before finally tightening the screws.
WARNING – if using a ‘heavy’ screwdriver, be careful not to overdo it. I crushed one of the surrounds of a screw hole by being too energetic. Easily solved with a spot of PVA glue and a light weight, but it wouldn’t have happened with more care. I also put a drop of PVA in each screw hole before fitting the hole covers [I’ve lost count of the times a ‘push fit’ has come loose] I was impressed throughout the construction by what seemed to have the thought put into home construction.
My wife is very impressed by the magazine holder, and especially its cost. I am ordering one for her immediately, but she has been warned that she will have to help me with construction. I know she would have helped me with this one, but pride is a terrible thing!
on 6 August 2016
Product is sturdy once built. It does require two people to assemble especially without screwing anything before assembled. The instructions are attached and as suggested quite brief. Happy with the item although screw holes are quite hard to align exactly without that extra person the last one we struggled with but it went in 😊
review image review image review image review image
on 2 November 2015
Looks Great BUT ,
A bit fiddly to assemble unless you have three hands but virtually useless if you want to put small items in it.
They just fall over as their is nothing down the centre as a divider.
I had to reassemble and redesign it to make it useful.
Maybe they should have tried to use it after they designed it?
They would have found out how easy it was to catch your knuckles
when you go lift it.
Who wants their zapper in with the magazines anyway./?
I cannot get mine out of the wifes hands?.
Easiest way is NOT to have the v shaped cradle as shown but allow those two cross pieces to be
pointing downwards from the lower two dowel plugs It then allows a gap for a thin 3 ply centre divider
to slide in,then be glued /fixed to the bottom centre divider which is really too small to be any use
( unless you have exactly the right size magazines.)
on 27 July 2017
Having read a few adverse comments about this product I received it with a certain trepidation,but no worries,admittedly the instructions weren't brilliant,more pictorial rather than the written word,but nevertheless easy enough to follow.The only comment I have is that it is a two person assembly job,as it is a little fiddly trying to align all the dowels/screw holes up prior to securing them.Otherwise a brilliant sturdy little piece of furniture.
Would certainly recommend it.
on 9 June 2014
OK, so not quite firewood, but mine arrived with a couple of dowels missing, no drill holes in one side panel (four holes), wood blemishes on both side panels and both sides of the base board were scratched excessively.

Granted this is cheap, but there is clearly ZERO quality control either. I can't be bothered to even put it together -- and I like a challenge!

Avoid.