Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Drake Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3) forum

Anyone else bothered by Capcoms DLC strategy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Dec 2010, 11:10:55 GMT
Matt Dark says:
Even though this game still have around 2 and a half months left before its expected release, Capcom have already confirmed a pair of DLC characters, that will be available just weeks after the games launches (Or straight away if europe gets the collectors edition thats been announced in america)

Also, last year, barely a month after the release of Resident Evil 5, capcom released DLC for a versus mode. Of course, Versus mode itself was already in the game, you just needed to pay £4-5 pounds extra if you wanted to play it.

I think its highly likely that the DLC characters announced are already going to be in the game, you'll just be expected to pay ontop of the price of the game to get FULL access to whats on there.

Now, I know other companies are guilty of this too, but Capcom are just so blunt about it, and dont really seem to care.

Posted on 2 Dec 2010, 15:14:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2010, 15:17:12 GMT
You make a good point, but the way I feel is that this increases the longevity of the game. In this case, something that is centred around verses play can be given an injection of freshness by DLC characters etc, rather than introducing everything right at the beginning. I know I'm paying out a lot to a certain extent, but I'm often happy to do so. As for the data already being included on the disc, that is cheeky, I'm not sure how common the practice is though, for example, the costume packs for Street Fighter IV were not included on the disc.

A big reason for this approach is also that DLC does actually boost sales of the base product, this has been confirmed by Capcom and they are a business after all.

Ps. I really do hope they will release the ltd. edition version in Europe. If anyone has any news on this, that'd be great.

Posted on 2 Dec 2010, 15:14:15 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Dec 2010, 15:14:30 GMT]

Posted on 3 Dec 2010, 14:20:53 GMT
Matt Dark says:
I agree that adding content to games, such as this can help to increase the longevity. But its generally the fatc that they are already announcing DLC for a game that isnt even out yet. If it had been closer to the release that, it might be ok, but 3 months... It does beg a question why they arent already in the game itself.

The DLC that just unlocks content has been done by quite alot of companies, not just capcom. The download for the versus mode was a little under 2MB.
And while I cant comment on the original Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV's extra costumes were already on the disc, as the download files for the costume packs were generally little more then half a MB. Infact, SSF4 was another case where the content was shown off ahead of the games release.
(The brand new set of costumes at least seam to be full downloads now)

Posted on 15 Jan 2011, 21:13:21 GMT
It's a good point, but in all fairness thr Marvel vs Capcom series is supposed to have a huge roster of characters. However the fact that the 3rd has made the trip into 3D, that roster has had to be shortened. It's an annoyance that it isn't all on the disc, but the fact they're trying to show they wan to keep adding more characters is a good sign.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2011, 21:38:25 GMT
John Dulling says:
I completely agree with this. Whereas most games receive DLC a while after first release CAPCOM seem to be insisting on increasing revenue for content that exists on the game disc but isn't unlocked until further money is spent. SSFIV and Resident Evil 5 being two good examples of this iirc.

Yes the roster increase is nice however if the characters are already on the disc why charge your fanbase an extra £4-£5 to unlock it when they've just spent £30+ on the game? I doubt anyone who can afford this extra charge will want to miss out on the extra characters (I mean why would you want a shortened roster when compared to everyone else) but unfortunately this only paves the way for CAPCOM to continue doing it for future titles.

As much as it irks me I will probably pay the extra for the complete experience. However until the game is released I shall look to CAPCOM with a raised eyebrow and shake my miserly fist!

Posted on 9 Feb 2011, 09:42:26 GMT
J. Munoz says:
Iam going to wait the price drop wait six months till they probably do marvel vs capcom 3 super with all the fight so I will wait.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011, 11:13:50 GMT
Mark Pilbeam says:
The fans expected there to be a revised version of Street fighter 4 as it is common for the series, that's not the case with marvel vs capcom titles, however I do think in time capcom may offer dlc characters in packs like they did for SF4's alternate costumes, so waiting in that sense isn't a bad idea.

Posted on 17 Feb 2011, 03:38:05 GMT
DeeJay says:
I yearn for the old days when you had to unlock the characters by playing the game, whereas now you have to buy the them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  2 Dec 2010
Latest post:  17 Feb 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3)
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3) by Capcom (PlayStation 3)
4.3 out of 5 stars (53)