Ants (Naturalists' Handbook) Paperback – 12 Jul 2015
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book includes good illustrated keys for workers and both male and female reproductives, with a glossary to start the amateur off at a good pace. Colour plates show some Formica and Myrmica species, as well as a few others, and greyscale plates show many reproductives.
I think the only thing that might have improved this would be good colour plates for all those species that could be identified in the field (such as the aforementioned Formicinae: I found the incomplete nature of this to be a not-insurmountable nuisance, using a hand lens and looking at the heads).
The book begins with a properly referenced overview of ant biology and ecology, and ends with a look at the study of ants, both in the field and in formicaria. There are also distribution notes for those species likely to be encountered in Britain (although I would recommend cross-referencing with the NBN databases and reporting colonies appropriately, especially with climate change starting to bite).
The book fits in the pocket of my hiking trousers or in the top pocket of a rucksack.
All in all, a great book for the amateur. If you want a book to get you started on identifying, understanding and studying British ants, this is it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
very accesable guide go on give ant ID a go - you know you want to I have tested the Keys the work!Published 6 months ago by mark @wigan
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Invertebrates > Arachnids
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Invertebrates > Insects
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Ecology > Animal Ecology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences