Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 13 March 2003
A beautifully crafted and majestic album. Antarctica captures the mood and feel of this unique landscape with wonderful moments of surreal tranquillity. The opening theme is bright and cheerful while the tracks that follow descriptive, conjuring up distinct images of Antarctica. My particular favourites are tracks 2 and 6 which transport me to the region every time. A definite must for any Vangelis fan.
on 28 December 1999
from the first track, 4 minutes of bliss, it feels like a bird slowly taking flight. slowly but surely climbing to an incredible height, and letting the amazing sights infuse. this strikes a chord deeep in my soul, and this icey beauty of Antartica could harldey be conveyed any better than through this.
on 5 May 2016
If I could give this cd 10 stars, I would. I like it unbelievably so. I have the dvd of the movie and the LP of its music. I needed to get the cd. I waited and waited and waited.....until one day, while browsing through Amazon......there it was. So, I bought it. Now I have all three. I needed the cd to add to my collection of 7000+ songs (from my cd collection) that I have put on to iitunes. If you haven't seen the movie then please try to get it. You will fall in love with the movie, its sadness and its magnificent soundtrack.
VINE VOICEon 28 May 2010
Vangelis composed, arranged produced and performed this staggeringly luscious album two years after he scored 'Chariots of Fire' for which he won an Oscar for Best Original Score. For this soundtrack album he conjures up a world of snow banks and freezing winds along with images of emporor penguins and polar bears and icebergs floating and dancing on the ocean surrounds. This album is the soundtrack to a little known Japanese film called "Antarctica" which came out in 1983. It's a pity cause I can't find any sign of the film on DVD anywhere.

Anyway. Back to the CD which is a triumph of musical genius and magical soundscapes which he conjures up so majestically on his synthesizers. He opens up with the Theme which is 7 mins 29 secs of Vangelis craftmanship at work setting the theme for the entire album. The rest of the album doesn't disappoint either. My other favourites are 'Antarctic Echoes', 'Memory of Antarctica' and 'Life of Antarctica'.

All fans of this man, and I'm sure there are plenty, will absolutely love this album and it's a real treat to hear it over the hi-fi. Just listening to it, the listener has images of snowy landscapes along with icebergs drifting along the edges and the wildlife hunting and searching for food in the water and on the surface of the deeply freezing plateaux. Terrific and stunning album.
on 29 June 2010
Yet another superb offering by the master composer in electronic music. The parallels with the best of classical music are evident. As a bonus, this evocative piece lasts even longer than many great classical pieces. This music clearly does not date.
on 24 June 2008
A beuatiful album by Vangelis - the title track is seven minutes of sheer perfection, and its haunting melody is repeated several times during the subsueqent tracks, which are lush, melodic and superbly atmospheric. One of the greatest 'ambient' style albums I've ever heard - put this one on after a long hard day and just let the music dissolve away all stresses and tensions.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 September 2013
Vangelis's `Antarctica' soundtrack (1983) was for a Japanese film about abandoned huskies, and the main theme's opening has a Japanese feel in its choice of instrumentation. That robust theme often re-appears in various guises, sometimes unmistakably, sometimes ingeniously re-arranged and reworked.

The music has grandeur to match the Antarctic landscape, aided by the usual percussive edge that Vangelis brings to his electronic music, whilst some tracks - such as `Antarctic Echoes' - has a close intimacy.

There are no duff tracks. The opening theme is worthy of five stars, and the theme's occasional re-appearance only makes the rest of the tracks worthy of praise. Certainly the track `Life of Antarctica' comes close. As with `Chariots of Fire', Vangelis seems to have composed mood pieces rather than write music to match screen action second-by-second. The result is a strong soundtrack album that can stand alone from the film to which it is linked.
on 24 October 2015
This album is one of Vangelis' great under-playered masterpieces in my humble opinion.
I was given this new vinyl reissue for my birthday and I love it. It is a quiet pressing and the overall sound is deep and rich. The vinyl itself is heavy and clean.
I've had a hit-and-miss history with MOV but they obviously have taken a lot of care reproducing this. On tracks such as the luscious 'Song of white', which is quiet and ambient, the soundscape is allowed to breathe without any background hiss or crackle. This is a damn fine pressing...that's what I'm trying to say.
The title track sounds amazing and the distance between the bass, mids and treble can be tasted. It sounds far superior to my CD version.

I have no hesitation in giving the album and vinyl five stars. This sort of release is what makes vinyl better than CD.
on 1 October 2015
on 16 September 2015
Probably the triumvirate of his greatest works would be Chariots of Fire, Blade Runner, and Conquest of Paradise. Up against those, I'm afraid, this doesn't really measure up. Nice in places, but too short on inspiration and ideas for me.